The Journey is Sometimes the Best Part (comments welcome!)

bpr2002

<font color=FF99FF>Mama Bear<br>Always willing to
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
My husband and I just registered for our first full marathon attempt...as part of our first attempt at the Dopey challenge. My run coach approved our idea before we registered. He says he has full confidence in my ability to train and succeed so bring it on! I've done at least a dozen half marathons and we've done the 5K, 10K, and half marathon back to back at Disney World before. We often do a 5K/10 and half marathon weekend challenge for various races.

About me. I am a soon to be 47-year old female whose fastest half marathon time was a finish in 3:06. I don't know that I love running but I love the feeling of movement and challenging my body. I'm learning to leave behind the long-held belief that I can't do anything because I'm too fat and too weak. I've recently dropped 30 lbs and I'm continuing to eat healthy and exercise so hopefully I can get to my next goal of losing another 15-20 lbs.

Plot twist. I just had a breast biopsy on Tuesday and I'm currently waiting for the results. No matter the outcome, I refuse to be discouraged. It won't stop me from reaching my goals...just maybe delay me a little. 🙂

Welcome to my training journal. I'm glad you are read this far. I welcome all posts, comments, feedback, etc.

Welcome to the Training Journals board!

Fingers crossed for a normal report following your biopsy 🤞

Welcome and good thoughts re: biopsy. The waiting is the hardest part (been there once before)

Welcome! I look forward to following your running journey, and hope/pray that your biopsy results will be good!!

Good morning and Happy Friday! And a great big thank you to Naomeri, jmasgat, and Cabius for the warm welcome. 😊
I just spoke to my doctor and the test results came back benign. I feel very blessed right now. I do have some issues they need to monitor with follow up mammograms but for now, my training for the Dopey Challenge has begun!!

My run coach says I need to start rebuilding my weekly run miles and reestablishing consistency. My job is in its busy season right now so I work long hours. But with the sun setting later each day, it will hopefully be easier to get my runs completed.

Today's training session is to repeat 6X 5 min run and 1 min walk. Then repeat 5X 20 sec strides with 1:30 recovery.
I'm still quite bruised and sore from the biopsy but I'm ready to get out there! I'll report back how it went.

I hope you all have a wonderful day. 🙂

I hope everyone has had a wonderful weekend. I'm seeing all the posts about Springtime Surprise and I am definitely missing RunDisney races. 🙂 But I send good luck wishes to everyone participating. My fun has to wait until the fall and Wine & Dine weekend.

I did complete my training session on Friday. My run coach advised me to walk it because I was still pretty sore. So I walked as fast as I could and and even reached the 12:00 min/mile pace for the brief 20-sec strides at the end. And no ill effects so I'm feeling a little braver for today's run training. Today's training will be 4X 4 min run/1 min walk and 4X 5 min run/1 walk. Wish me luck and no pain! I'll do the run after work this afternoon.

My first marathon was also done during my first Dopey. You've got this! I'll be following along and see you at Wine and Dine!

Thank you to to accm and DopeyBadger for the kind replies and welcome. I did complete my run training on Sunday and....drum roll please... I actually ran! My goal for the training session was just to get out of my head and trust my body. I was able to run all of the run segments at a moderate pace with only a little discomfort on the last one. I can finally accept that I am healing physically so now I can heal mentally and emotionally and focus on my training. 🙂
My overall training pace was 14:51/min mile. Definitely not my usual run/walk average pace which is a tad faster but definitely better than my strictly walking pace.

My training session tonight is a 10-minute warm up followed by 6X 3 min/run - 2 min/walk.
Hopefully I will get home from work in time to complete it.

Wow, it has been a few days so let me get you all caught up. I worked until after 9 pm on Tuesday so no run training for me. I did manage to complete it on the next day, Wednesday, with an average running pace of 14 min/mile and an overall pace of 15:43 with all of the walking minutes.

On the Friday, I drove about an hour and a half to a neighboring city with my husband who had a continuing education class. I used the opportunity to visit a Fleet Feet store and get fitted for shoes using their 3D scan. I am now testing out the Topo Ultrafly 4. I don't need a wide shoe, but can obviously benefit from the wider toe box. They aren't very cushiony compared to some other shoes I've used but they have felt pretty good so far. I also bought a Brooks run bra to try.

After shoe shopping, I went to a nearby park to do my training run and test out my new shoes. It was a repeat of the 10-minute warm up followed by 6X 3 min/run - 2 min/walk. My run paces were 12:00 to 13:00 min/miles with an overall pace of 15:11. I'm definitely healing well from the biopsy. Then I picked up my husband and we went to a local hamburger shop for yummy burgers, fries, and onion rings. Followed by an ice cream split from a local ice cream store that has been there since 1940. We sat outside and enjoyed the spring weather.

Saturday was a HIIT class with way more lunges than I ever want to do again. And I took my vehicle in for an oil change and routine maintenance. Yippee.

On Sunday, I was really feeling the effects of the HIIT class but the weather was wonderful. So I went for my training run after working for a few hours. This time it was a 10-minute warm up followed by 8X 4 minute run/1 minute walk. I wasn't feeling my best though I ran listening to Disney movie songs and really enjoyed it. My run paces were all over the place from 15 min/mile down to 12:51 for the last one. My over all pace was 15:11 min/mile.

My run coach's feedback is that the runs looked solid -- I'm knocking the rust off again. 😄
For the training runs this week, he wants me to keep the running portion at 14:30 or faster.
I think I can do that. The next run will be Tuesday or Wednesday depending on my work hours.
It is a 5 min warm up and then 8X 4 min run/1 min walk. Wish me luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter