• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Latest Chapter in a Canadian Tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronandannette

I gave myself this tag and I "Like" myself too!
https://globalnews.ca/news/9003501/humboldt-broncos-crash-truck-driver-parole/

I just don't know how to feel about it. :sad1: Such unspeakable loss to occur from a moment's inattention, yet how much easier it would be to rage against the perpetrator if he had been impaired or on his phone, or otherwise engaged in some illegal activity. And what does it say about our justice system? A (relatively) stiff sentence initially imposed based on the legal definitions of the crime, but yet released on conditional parole after serving less than 3 years and full parole eligible in 6 months? On the one hand, we know of far more heinous and deliberate (but no more heartbreaking) crimes that have been punished more leniently, yet does the magnitude of this call for something more?

And should automatic deportation, in accordance with Canadian Immigration laws even be debated? Some of the victims' families have spoken in support of a "mercy ruling" to allow the perpetrator to remain in Canada at the conclusion of his sentence. They find no added measure of relief in harsher treatment. For others, no sentence has been or could be harsh enough to bring peace to their hearts. :sad1:

Thoughts?

Yeah. I don’t know how I feel about it either. It was a terribly tragic accident with so many lives lost. I understand the families who believe he doesn’t deserve to be out. But then I think, man, the driver just ran a stop sign.
This, exactly. It's bone-chilling to realize that without malice or gross negligence (like impairment or cell phone distraction, etc.) countless lives are ended and families broken forever. We'd like to think that these terrible things are only done by terrible people and there's something at least a little satisfying in vilifying them. But what if it was somebody just like us? On any given day, could it actually be us?

And if we were one of the families? How would I feel? I'm a Christian and my faith compels me to forgive. Could I? Would I even be willing to try after having been robbed of my child? And if I didn't, how to live with the rage and impotence of waiting for the decisions of a system we are powerless to effect and maybe deeply disagree with?

All-in-all, it's a sad day for people on every side and a reminder of our collective grief. :sad1:

This, exactly. It's bone-chilling to realize that without malice or gross negligence (like impairment or cell phone distraction, etc.) countless lives are ended and families broken forever. We'd like to think that these terrible things are only done by terrible people and there's something at least a little satisfying in vilifying them. But what if it was somebody just like us? On any given day, could it actually be us?

And if we were one of the families? How would I feel? I'm a Christian and my faith compels me to forgive. Could I? Would I even be willing to try after having been robbed of my child? And if I didn't, how to live with the rage and impotence of waiting for the decisions of a system we are powerless to effect and maybe deeply disagree with?

All-in-all, it's a sad day for people on every side and a reminder of our collective grief. :sad1:
The only thing I question is, if he intentionally ran the stop sign. He mentioned being distracted by a flap on the truck, or being blinded by the sun, but then it was brought up that there were several advance warnings of the upcoming stop sign at the intersection. So did he really accidentally miss it? Or did he just ignore it.

The only thing I question is, if he intentionally ran the stop sign. He mentioned being distracted by a flap on the truck, or being blinded by the sun, but then it was brought up that there were several advance warnings of the upcoming stop sign at the intersection. So did he really accidentally miss it? Or did he just ignore it.

Im not sure if you have watched the W5 special. It discussed a lot here especially poor driver training,. There are no federal regulations like pilots or train conductors . Why?
While my heart bleeds for these families still and as the parent of a hockey kid who rides buses every season it’s terrifying but after watching I felt saddened for him . He appears extremely remorseful. He too also has to live with this for the rest of his life.
One humboldt family interviews has been working for him to be able to stay. I would think hope this forgiveness and understanding gives them peace. Peace al the families deserve .

Im not sure if you have watched the W5 special. It discussed a lot here especially poor driver training,. There are no federal regulations like pilots or train conductors . Why?
While my heart bleeds for these families still and as the parent of a hockey kid who rides buses every season it’s terrifying but after watching I felt saddened for him . He appears extremely remorseful. He too also has to live with this for the rest of his life.
One humboldt family interviews has been working for him to be able to stay. I would think hope this forgiveness and understanding gives them peace. Peace al the families deserve .
I’m probably ignorant to many of the facts. I didn’t watch the special.

I get the poor driver training and I think he was only on his second week at the job. But a stop sign is a stop sign and I don’t think there was any evidence of him applying the brakes through it at all. I mean is stopping at a stop sign necessary driver training?

Last edited:
I’m probably ignorant to many of the facts. I didn’t watch the special.

I get the poor driver training and I think he was only on his second week at the job. But a stop sign is a stop sign and I don’t think there was any evidence of him applying the brakes through it at all. I mean is stopping at a stop sign necessary driver training?
I wasn’t there. I would assume he missed the stop sign. It happens. Ive accidentally missed one. Thank God most of us when it happens aren’t driving such a vehicle with a bus full of ppl approaching .

I don't know why people are so focused on this outside of the hockey connection....

Marco Muzzo is free and on his own time after spending roughly the same time behind bars after killing, what, 4 people while so drunk he pissed his pants on the side of the road after the police got there?

If you have a problem with the Canadian justice system write and talk to your MP. I'm not certain a forum designed around discussions about going to a Disney Park is the appropriate place to vent.

I wasn’t there. I would assume he missed the stop sign. It happens. Ive accidentally missed one. Thank God most of us when it happens aren’t driving such a vehicle with a bus full of ppl approaching .
Me too.
That’s why I feel for the driver if he legitimately missed it, and didn’t just ignore it.

What kind of person would purposely blow throw a stop sign. I’d be careful that’s a pretty heavy accusation to be making especially in these circumstances
A person who is in a hurry, who doesn’t think anyone is coming. People do it. Nobody doing it is trying to harm anyone.

I’m not accusing anyone of anything. :confused3

This was a horrible accident and was a case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. How many other thousands of times have drivers missed stop signs but there was no consequence? The driver did not intentionally mean to cause this accident and whether one death or many, he will carry this for the rest of his life. I wonder if the way some people are going after him is a result of his race and nationality. I have seen interviews and he is not a terrible person or a criminal. Nothing can undo what happened. Time to stop vilifying this young man IMHO. I do think racism is also at hand here.

I'm not sure why focusing on the driver of a vehicle in what was a horrible accident helps anyone. Why not focus on remembering the victims instead. An accident is an accident. While unfortunate, this man already got his judgement. Leave him be and remember the victims. Tyler Bieber, Logan Boulet, Dayna Brons, Mark Cross, Glen Doerksen, Darcy Haugan, Adam Herold, Brody Hinz, Logan Hunter, Jaxon Joseph, Jacob Leicht, Conner Lukan, Logan Schatz, Evan Thomas, Parker Tobin, and Stephen Wack.

I don't know why people are so focused on this outside of the hockey connection....

Marco Muzzo is free and on his own time after spending roughly the same time behind bars after killing, what, 4 people while so drunk he pissed his pants on the side of the road after the police got there?

If you have a problem with the Canadian justice system write and talk to your MP. I'm not certain a forum designed around discussions about going to a Disney Park is the appropriate place to vent.
Agree that this isn’t the place to discuss it, but also have to say, because it is hardly brought up anymore, that Marco Muzzo is guilty of a much more horrendous crime (drunk driving) and he got basically nothing. Funny how there were never these debates/discussions over his crime and killing of those young children and their grandfather. The father of the children recently ended his own life as well. Just my rant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter