• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Legacy of Bob Iger

Andyman100385

Earning My Ears
Mr. Iger has been a hot topic in the news and on the Podcasts for a variety of reasons. Many people have varying opinions of him, but I tend to believe he has been great. However, I also believe it is impossible to fully and fairly judge Iger right now, because he still has some work to do. While I do not believe Iger will ever be as hated as Eisner, I tend to think Eisner was better than he is given credit for, as he, just like Iger did the jobs they were brought into do.

Eisner was exactly what Disney needed, at a time that Disney needed it most. Eisner arrived at a time just prior to when branding as we know it today first reared its ugly head into the world (no pun intended). But recall, he was brought it to save a dysfunctional company. In other words, Disney needed a micro-manager. In his first decade, he revitalized the company and oversaw the creation of some of Disney's biggest brands. However, Eisner really began struggling with the evolution of branding which in concept theoretically discourages innovation, Given this focus on built in audiences, Eisner gambled an went all in on the Disney brand. He seemed to believe that the Disney brand could sell itself for little to know money. Hence, after a couple of investments failed, he turned his focus to the constant stream of cheap Disney sequels, and the initial California Adventure just to name a couple of missteps. All of which were cheap, seemingly less risky endeavors. The problem, in my opinion, was that Eisner's place in the company was always transitory in nature. His sole focus became selling Disney with Disney. And as a micro-manager who was often disliked by his colleagues, the second the company became less profitable, he was thrown out.

Similarly, Iger was exactly what Disney needed, at a time that Disney needed it most. Iger is a branding genius, and was brought in to fix a diluted brand. He expanded the Disney bubble beyond princesses and animated movies. Through his purchases of Pixar, Lucasfilm and Marvel, he added firmly established brands and created a cash cow that permitted Disney to again start taking risks within their own studios, theme parks, and other endeavors. These brands are now being inserted into the theme parks, which cant necessarily "break" Iger's legacy, but will certainly be a large part of it as we see how well these brands can be incorporated into the Disney mold.

If Pandora and Star Wars lands take off, then in my opinion Iger will have one hell of a legacy, as a man who transformed and expanded the brand to places it has never been. If the lands do not pay off, then Iger will also likely be forced out in favor of a person who has the ability to take the next step and flawlessly incorporate/merge the brands.

What do you think Iger's legacy will be?

From where I sit, he's done the right thing in expanding the Disney universe into other properties and bringing those properties into the parks. Pandora seems like not the best fit for Animal Kingdom, but Disney has a way of shoving things into places where they don't belong (like Frozen in Norway) and getting away with it, so more power to him. Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land are going to be yuuuuuuuge, and I imagine they'll make everybody quickly for get that they caused half of DHS to be closed for several years.

One thing that desperately needs attention at WDW is Future World. It's stale and outdated and needs a brick-by-brick (so to speak) makeover. I hope Iger puts that on his plate at some point (I hear it's coming in a few years).

Mr. Iger has been a hot topic in the news and on the Podcasts for a variety of reasons. Many people have varying opinions of him, but I tend to believe he has been great. However, I also believe it is impossible to fully and fairly judge Iger right now, because he still has some work to do. While I do not believe Iger will ever be as hated as Eisner, I tend to think Eisner was better than he is given credit for, as he, just like Iger did the jobs they were brought into do.

Eisner was exactly what Disney needed, at a time that Disney needed it most. Eisner arrived at a time just prior to when branding as we know it today first reared its ugly head into the world (no pun intended). But recall, he was brought it to save a dysfunctional company. In other words, Disney needed a micro-manager. In his first decade, he revitalized the company and oversaw the creation of some of Disney's biggest brands. However, Eisner really began struggling with the evolution of branding which in concept theoretically discourages innovation, Given this focus on built in audiences, Eisner gambled an went all in on the Disney brand. He seemed to believe that the Disney brand could sell itself for little to know money. Hence, after a couple of investments failed, he turned his focus to the constant stream of cheap Disney sequels, and the initial California Adventure just to name a couple of missteps. All of which were cheap, seemingly less risky endeavors. The problem, in my opinion, was that Eisner's place in the company was always transitory in nature. His sole focus became selling Disney with Disney. And as a micro-manager who was often disliked by his colleagues, the second the company became less profitable, he was thrown out.

Similarly, Iger was exactly what Disney needed, at a time that Disney needed it most. Iger is a branding genius, and was brought in to fix a diluted brand. He expanded the Disney bubble beyond princesses and animated movies. Through his purchases of Pixar, Lucasfilm and Marvel, he added firmly established brands and created a cash cow that permitted Disney to again start taking risks within their own studios, theme parks, and other endeavors. These brands are now being inserted into the theme parks, which cant necessarily "break" Iger's legacy, but will certainly be a large part of it as we see how well these brands can be incorporated into the Disney mold.

If Pandora and Star Wars lands take off, then in my opinion Iger will have one hell of a legacy, as a man who transformed and expanded the brand to places it has never been. If the lands do not pay off, then Iger will also likely be forced out in favor of a person who has the ability to take the next step and flawlessly incorporate/merge the brands.

What do you think Iger's legacy will be?

You are pretty spot-on with this. Whenever Disney does anything someone dislikes, they blame Iger, but he has been good for the company, and you can't please every fan every time. Disney is in a new creative renaissance right now and his acquisitions like Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm have been positive movies. Eisner oversaw something similar in his time, certainly an explosion of creativity in the early 90s, but he maybe let his ego get in the way of continued growth (like how he almost lost Pixar completely). Disney as a company is strong, even if some moves the make won't make the fans happy.

As a stockholder I have been happy.
As a customer, I think Iger and Eisner both put too much emphasis on profits at the expense of creativity.
And if you have ever been to the Walt Disney Museum in San Francisco, you know Walt's family has not been happy with either. The entire decision to put the museum in San Francisco was seen as a protest of the direction of the Disney Corporation since Walt's death.

Unfortunately I have not been to the museum as when I am in San Fran its usually for business and usually only for a day. But I can completely understand the family's position.

I guess my belief, and it is of course only speculation, is that while Walt was a ruthless business man, his brand of business would never work today. Because while he was ruthless, he was also extremely patient (which is why I feel that the way they are nurturing the Marvel franchise is very Walt-esque and perhaps the most Walt-esque thing the company has done). But even with Marvel, the patience has become relatively low risk given how successful a movie is guaranteed to be just because it is a Marvel movie. Looking back, the risk was absorbed elsewhere prior to Disney's purchase.

Given the obsession with generating profits quickly with the least amount of risk possible, no individual could possibly incur the amount of risks that Walt did without getting shot down immediately (and it was difficult enough back then). I think that that is part of the reason Walt is romanticized in the way he is, and recall that the last time the Disney family had power in the company it was in a bad place (hence Eisner).

So in a way, Disney needs these franchises to generate the billions of dollars so that it has more room to innovate on other projects. Unfortunately, for every innovative project, there are 5 safe projects at least. It is also why (although it will not happen anytime soon) I am anxious to see a 5th gate at DisneyWorld. I want to see if they go the safe route and fill it with established franchise attractions, or go in a more innovative direction with the theory that each innovative idea has the ability to become a franchise (ie Pirates of the Caribbean.)

This really is an exciting time to be a Disney fan.

From where I sit, he's done the right thing in expanding the Disney universe into other properties and bringing those properties into the parks. Pandora seems like not the best fit for Animal Kingdom, but Disney has a way of shoving things into places where they don't belong (like Frozen in Norway) and getting away with it, so more power to him. Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land are going to be yuuuuuuuge, and I imagine they'll make everybody quickly for get that they caused half of DHS to be closed for several years.

One thing that desperately needs attention at WDW is Future World. It's stale and outdated and needs a brick-by-brick (so to speak) makeover. I hope Iger puts that on his plate at some point (I hear it's coming in a few years).

Agreed. First, Pandora is a huge risk especially in Animal Kingdom. But I can see the appeal. The Avatar franchise itself is synonymous with technological innovation which really gives the Imagineers room to spread their wings and get creative, which is a HUGE opportunity for Disney. But the movie is obviously super fictional and super pro environment, so it would be difficult to fit anywhere where it would really make sense. But the most logical place would be Animal Kingdom, although still an odd fit.

Also, EPCOT no doubt needs love, and Disney Hollywood Studios will still need some work even after star wars land and toy story land. I think we are still a solid decade of construction away from getting DisneyWorld to Iger's vision. And THEN they might be able to consider a 5th gate.

As tvguy mentioned, I think Igers legacy will come from the perspective from which you view him. Shareholders will always love him. Thrill-seeking amusement park fans will love him. Diehard Disney fans...meh.

I do think he's a great business man, but I do not think he has ever understood (or cared?) about the history, legacy and meaning behind the Disney brand. Disney is one of those rare companies where you have to have someone in charge that cares about BOTH. It's not Cedar Point. So, in that regard, I think he's a poor fit. I mean, how do you take apart ToT (Disneyland) to turn it into a Marvel ride?! Come on now...I know Walt was one for change, but I also believe there's something to be said for history and knowing your customer.

I personally have not liked the direction the parks have taken over the past several years. I also feel like the Disney customer service is a thing of the past and that the almighty dollar rules in all aspects of the parks. So many of the small personal touches or things that made Disney so Disney-esque are gone in exchange for the cheapest, quickest, easiest or most profitable option. That change is coming from the top -- and it's not all good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter