The Love Locks are GONE in Paris

Good riddance!! Now let's hope other cities follow suit.

I'd never heard of this until I saw they were taking them down. It's a cute enough idea, but the article said there were hundreds of thousands of locks on there now! Some are complaining about their removal, but the weight is stressing the bridge. Also, I find that they were pretty tacky looking with so many of them like that. I support the decision to remove them.

Why the all the love lock hate? I understand why they need to be removed but I don't understand why people seem to be happy about it.

Why the all the love lock hate? I understand why they need to be removed but I don't understand why people seem to be happy about it.

For me it's vandalism. Selfish vandalism that puts the bridge at risk. If the city or the bridge had invited it, I'd feel differently, but that's not the case.

Bummer. We had love locks in three cities.....now down to two.

I don't like that this trend went insane in the last 15 years, happening (uninvited) in cities across Europe. There was a very old tradition of love locks in another city (I think in Serbia?) that had a lovely historical basis and might have made sense there, but the way it exploded and started happening, by the thousands, in lots of other cities, quite frankly made the entire thought lose its charm IMHO.

I also confess, I'm a bit curious how many of the couples represented by the love locks are even still together.

I would have loved to see this, but scary thought of them weighing down the bridge.:sad2:

I've seen a few locks attached to a chain-link fence at Fishermans Wharf in San Francisco. I'm guessing it was the same idea. Not a whole lot, but unfortunately it's catching on.

There are also some weird things out there. There were several "shoe trees" where people would just hang trees by the laces (like you see on utility lines), although I heard of one famous one where the shoes were often nailed to the tree or each other. This one was on US Forest Service land in Idaho, and an arsonist burned it down. I heard that it was extremely messy with all the burning leather, rubber, and plastic.

shoetreefar.jpg

Good. I just saw them last month and all I could think of was how much rust was running off them and how many keys were rusting on the bottom of the Seine. It was an environmental nightmare, not a gesture of love.

It's vandalism. It ruined a bridge and is costing Paris a great deal of money. It is a safety issue. People throw the keys from the locks into the river. Thousands and thousands of locks. It looks trashy. Tourists did it, not Parisians. If you need to leave a lock on a bridge to memorialize your love in Paris, you're devoid of romance and imagination. The whole city is romantic. Just walk, hold hands and steal a kiss from the one you love. You'll never forget it.

They got rid of them in Melbourne just a few weeks ago. They were making the safety wires on he bridge in question sag and therefore causing a safety hazard. they are probably going to do something with them though - possibly a sculpture of some sort, or the bar underneath the bridge has said they would use them in their refurbishment. Hopefully the Parisian locks are put to use somehow too.

It IS vandalism. Same as graffiti, IMO. You are doing something to property which is not yours. Most people doing locks of love type things would NEVER write on a wall with a permanent marker "J loves S" (or whatever). But, think nothing of doing this. SMH.

I fully support the removing of the locks, as I too agree with PP and think it is vandalism. They have started doing this on a 200 year foot bridge in Dublin and the council are continually removing them.

Its just a total disregard for historical bridges. I hope I am walking on the bridge when a tourist tries to do this as they will get a piece of my mind. I just dont get it, why is it necessary to deface such beautiful bridges, many of which are hundreds of years old?? The bridge in Dublin, is a very well known historical feature of my city, which has survived during the many battles and wars which led to my country becoming a Republic just over 100 years ago. What right do tourists , who come to my city for a few days think they have, that they can attach a metal lock to the bridge and then not see how their "cutesy" act will actually destroy the very thing that the tourist books told them to visit!!

Sorry but the sooner this practices stops, the better!!

For those of you who think the locks were cool, not that bad, or even clamped one on, why not find a special place at WDW and start a new tradition? After tens of thousands of locks cause some formerly special place to have to be torn down at WDW, maybe you'll get the point.

What shall the tourists destroy? The bridge leading to Tomorrowland? Clamp them all over the carousel until it can't even move? Better yet, there has to be a way to attach them to the castle, or maybe just the area around it. Maybe we could have a special target at every park! AK's Tree of Life is already in need of repair, so why not stress it even more? And Epcot has bridges we can lock up, although I think sticking a lock on whatever time period in Spaceship Earth speaks to you is a great choice. The line in Toy Story is always so long and slow and there are so many rails that the possibilities for clamping on locks are endless.

Get to work folks! Add your mark to WDW right now! It won't hurt a thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter