The Magic is Back - Share your Experience! Superthread

Ok I admit it I cried
While I didn't cry, I have to say that I am a little surprised at how sad I am. Even though we have no plans to travel across the country until next year, reading all of the comments has affected me much more than I thought it would.
So while I'm sad, to say nothing of envious of those of you who are there (or will be soon), I hope you all have a wonderful time.
...And begin to experience shorter lines :rainbow:

I passed out, lol! Just woke up a short bit ago and catching up. I'll keep working on getting up information for the other posts and get those edited as soon as I can.

I'm so excited for everyone!

Just got back to GCH for a rest. It is H*O*T out there. We have sun umbrellas & a water mister, but we both gave up at 88 deg F. Echoing what others have said, cast members are very enthusiastic! That walking down Main St and from the parking garage was spectacular. They directed everyone to the garage, staying at GCH or not, and the line went almost back that far at 8:00a. The esplanade line moved very fast. They started letting people in around 8:30a, I believe, but nothing was open--but no rope, so people started getting in line for rides.

I started going to DL decades ago, and I've never seen her so empty. Maybe a rainy day years ago, but... Disney is being very, very careful. My husband's mask fell down repeatedly (perspiration...), and cast members told him twice to put it back up.

There are fewer fountains that are running. The Tinkerbell area is not, for example, but the Snow White grotto is!

We started at PP and waited longer than the wait is right now, at almost 1 PST. I don't think there is much of a reason to get up before dawn and get yourself down to the gate hours before opening. The line from the parking structure moved so fast, because they empty the esplanade and then fill it back up again all at once. The line outside DCA never left the esplanade that I could see.

We didn't get on Snow White or HM, so I can't speak to those experiences, but the rides we went on all seem refreshed and brighter; maybe new paint?! And it's heaven to have fewer crowds! Most lines are in the full sun (heads up).

Food is a little challenging, especially if you're vegetarian... you can walk up and order at most places! You don't HAVE to pre-order on the app. I learned this late.

RoR - having one phone running an atomic clock and trying to get it on the other worked for us.

It is NOT the same as it was before COVID19, and that feels sad, but then there is the wonder of being there (and here) at all, great gratitude, and the visceral realization that this did not just happen here, it happened to every continent and every person on Earth. Once in a lifetime.

First pic was taken in Fantasyland at 9:10, second one a few minutes before that, the last one around 12:30ish today (sorry it's on its side!). Hope all this is helpful. Thanks to everyone for all the tips over all the years!

PS We drove over to GCH from the Anaheim Majestic Garden Hotel (used to be the Sheraton--the "castle" by the freeway) at 7am and there was NO line to get into the parking structure; we sailed right by and checked in quickly and got our room before 7:30a. (The Majestic was wonderful--they were thrilled to have us, the rooms and common areas have been completely refreshed, and we probably will stay there in the future instead of GCH, although GCH is lovely!)

Attachments

• IMG_5047.jpeg
    IMG_5047.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5045.jpeg
    IMG_5045.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5054.jpeg
    IMG_5054.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 65
Did anyone parkhop from DCA to DL today? We are going tomorrow and wondering if it will be easy to do at 1pm.

Did anyone parkhop from DCA to DL today? We are going tomorrow and wondering if it will be easy to do at 1pm.

Today at about 12:30, there were just handful of people at the DL gate.

ETA: Today, Saturday 5/1, there were about 5 parties waiting to get in to DL at every turnstile at 1:00 pm; same at DCA, too, if anyone else is wondering that.

Last edited:
Did anyone arrive to the structure around 7:30ish? If so how were lines? I’m debating if I should just come right before 8am. But worried if I get a boarding group I’ll miss it if it’s early...
FWIW, I was queued on the tram track at 7:00 and BGs were all gone in about 20 seconds. In short, have low expectations and you’ll be fine. I’ve yet to go on Haunted Mansion or Snow White because of the wait times (and it’s hot). Perhaps I’ll try them again first thing on Sunday. But for me, I had to do PP first :-).

They started letting people in around 8:30a, I believe, but nothing was open--but no rope, so people started getting in line for rides.
They actually opened the turnstiles at 8, and rides were open! We had hit Snow White, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, and Big Thunder by 8:27. ☺️ I suspect it will be that way all weekend with the 6am security openings.

We were suuuuuuper lucky that they let the Grand people in the tram area line a bit before the other groups, so we ended up first at a turnstile. Truly magical.

Reservation?!?! What do you mean "Reservation?!" When did this requirement emerge?! ;-).

Leaving for Disneyland -- I've waited more than a year to say that -- in about 25 minutes. I've always been able to talk my way into or out of anything. Hopefully that's still true today ;-).

When I saw the photos on Instagram of opening day, I immediately thought of you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter