The Many Adventures of Chelley (Part 2 of 11)

Chelley

Mouseketeer
"What's a little engine failure in the face of a Disney trip?"

Tuesday, 14 November 2000

Cast:
Chelley (a. k. a. "She who must be obeyed")
Chelley's husband (a. k. a. "Sir Grouch-a-lot")
Chelley's 5-year-old daughter (a. k. a. "Chicken Girl")

We woke up at 3:45 A. M.--as we had to leave for the airport at 4:30/4:45ish to catch a 6:15 flight. For one of the few times in my life, I was actually ready to get up at 3:45 A. M.! (I had stayed up till after 1:00, so I had hardly slept at all.)

Everything seemed to be fine; we boarded the aircraft at the appropriate time. I must admit that I HATE the small planes that fly out of our local airport. We were all buckled in and ready to go when we heard the most gosh-awful sound. As if that weren't bad enough, we then heard the pilot (who didn't realize that we could hear her) say, "Wow! That's never happened to me before!"

Don't get me wrong: I like to fly. I HATE long road trips. I'm an airplane kind of girl. However, I'm fascinated by stories of people who "sense" that something is wrong, and I'm always certain that I'm missing a major clue!

Well, we soon learned that one engine had stopped working and that the pilot had called for maintenance. Like idiots, none of us on the plane seriously considered making a run for the exits. (I had to get to Disney World!) Finally, everything checked out and we headed for Memphis, where we transferred to a larger aircraft for the second leg of the trip.

The rest of the journey was relatively uneventful. Every time I dozed off, my daughter elbowed me. This action was not amusing after the fourth or fifth time. My husband did hiss at me at one point during the flight, "The next time we go on vacation, you get some sleep first. You are being a shrew simply because you are tired!" He was right, so (for once), I didn't argue! Ah, the joys of traveling with my family.

I was dismayed to see rain when we landed in Orlando, but I was delighted to see Mohammed (from Tiffany Town Car service) waiting for us at baggage claim. I told him that he's famous on the DIS Transportation board, and he laughed about his star status.

We went directly to the Swan (without the optional grocery store stop--our choice) and arrived around 12:45. I was nervous when I realized that the young woman at the front desk was "in training," but she was very friendly and quite competent. I was amazed to learn that our room was ready! We went right up and were delighted with our accommodations, a junior suite on the seventh floor with a balcony. We admired the views of the resort and of the Epcot area while waiting for the bellman to bring up our luggage.

We decided to head over to the Dolphin for lunch at the Dolphin Fountain. The food was okay, but the service was rather slow.

After lunch, my husband and my daughter went back to the room to nap, and DISer "SwanDolphin" took me on a quick tour of the resorts. (For those of you who read the DIS Resorts Board, you may feel a sense of deja-vu, since "SD" posted a minute-by-minute account of my travel schedule--without telling me for the first couple of days! Relax, everyone. He and I are friends, so I'm allowed to harass him!)

The WDW Swan and Dolphin are incredible resorts. The theming is interesting, and there are lots of great details (such as the shooting star on the ceiling of the main entrance area at the Dolphin, for which DISer EngineerEd is responsible, I believe!).

I returned to the room to learn that DISer "dt" had called to confirm our evening plans. I returned her call, and my husband watched in amazement as I carried on a LONG conversation with a person I had never seen before in my life!

We got ready for dinner and walked over to the BoardWalk. We met "dt" and her husband at the Flying Fish Cafe around 5:30 for an early dinner. My daughter was THRILLED because dt had brought her a bag full of goodies. You would not believe all the wonderful treats! The biggest hit was a small lock and a set of two keys (for a diary). "dt" and her husband were amused that my daughter was so fascinated with a set of keys.

The Flying Fish Cafe was wonderful. I had mahi-mahi with a mushroom risotto (if memory serves me correctly). We enjoyed visiting with our new friends, and everyone seemed really comfortable with each other. Dessert at the Flying Fish is incredible; I had the Bananas Napoleon.

After dinner we walked over to the Yacht Club to admire dt's room, which overlooked the weddding gazebo. Then, we headed to the dock for the IllumiNations cruise.

Our driver told us that she intended to give us our money's worth, and she did. She drove us over to Epcot so that we could see Tapestry of Nations. Then, she took us on a short spin around the Epcot resorts area and over to MGM. Then, she returned to Epcot for IllumiNations.

The experience was incredible! It was so nice to enjoy the show without having to be in the middle of a crowd. I was particularly grateful to dt for bringing along some bubbles for my daughter. They kept her entertained!

After IllumiNations, dt and her hubby joined us at the Swan for a visit. We were delighted to realize that we had turndown service at the hotel! We were also happy to see that we had a nice view of Spaceship Earth. We all walked over to the Dolphin to admire that resort before calling it a night.

My husband and daughter went right to bed, but I stayed up for quite some time, writing postcards and admiring the beautiful view.

A perfect first day!

belle01.gif

[This message was edited by Chelley on 11-26-00 at 07:29 PM.]

I would have been off that plane in a second!! I'm a big chicken when it comes to flying. :eek: Your day and the Illuminations cruise sounded wonderful. Every Dis person that I've met has been just like an old friend.

<FONT COLOR=Red> Co-Chat Mistress</font>
<FONT COLOR=Red>Instructional Chat Co-Host
</FONT>
<font color=Blue> Co-Moderator Trip Reports Board</font> <font color=green>http://www.wdwinfo.com/merchandise/index.shtml</font>
mickey87.gif
jump.cgi

Chelley, I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoy your reports, the previous (bloodshed) ones were so funny I was actually LingOL! You are also so informative about everything, did you ever think of writing a book about your adventures you do have a lot of talent, anyways thanks again and looking forward to you know what, YOUR REPORT ON THE VWL! 12 DAYS & COUNTING!!!!!!
Thanks again,
Marianne

P.S. WE SHOULD MAKE PLANS TO MEET DOWN AT DW :cool: :) :cool:

Thank you for your kind words.

Between trips to Disney World, I am a college English instructor. My secret dream (no longer a secret now) is to be a writer!

belle01.gif

The Illuminations Cruise sounds absolutely fabulous!! What a wonderful first day. Except for the small plane, that is.

Annjanette

Did you book the junior suite or was it an upgrade. I have always wondered if they upgraded to suites?

I am hanging on each word.

cheer_jumper_md_wht.gif

<font size=3><font color=red>
<marquee> Co-Captain & Charter Member of the Swan/Dolphin Cheerleading Team!!</font></font></marquee>
Xmm2..jpg

<font size=4><font color=green>HAPPY <font color=red>HOLIDAYS<font color=red>!<font color=green>!
<font color=red>15 times to Disney 3 on-site
<font color=green>Next visit Dec. 2001 to the SWAN !!

Great report!

Yes, we all had a great time and it was so nice to meet people that you felt comfortable with right away.

Two of us having something in common- I guess the husbands did too.

At least they got to meet the other person who had been taking up so much of "their" time over the last few months!

To meet a child who thought silly keys were just the best thing since well Mickey!

Come look at this most wonderful view - no I want to see where I can put these keys!

:)

My child cared NOTHING about the view of Spaceship Earth. She just wanted to unlock something with her new keys!

belle01.gif

Chelly your report is great!! (I have the hardest time writing a trip report my mind goes faster then my fingers!) How old is your daughter? She sounds like my 5year old!! She loves what we call "junk" We could get her an expensive cool gift and she would rather play with the shampoo and soap at disney!!lo! Sher also is a chicken!! Its so hard I love rides! I keep trying!! well thnaks again for your report going to read 3 now! :D

I agree with everyone else, Chelley--you're a wonderful writer. And I should know, for I'm a published writer myself (sure wish my most recent work-in-progress, on which I'm currently struggling,sounded as good as your trip report!)

Here's my question: how did you manage to see BOTH TON and Illuminations on the cruise? This time of year I thought TON went out at 4:10 and 6:10--and Illuminations isn't until 9 or 9:30.

We have a cruise booked for 12/16--can't wait! But we're supposed to show up at the Boardwalk at 8:45 for the 9:30 Illuminations show.

How'd YOU manage to swing both?

Thanks for all the great information!

Woolfie
<A HREF="http://www.popejoan.com" TARGET="_blank">www.popejoan.com</A>

Blink. 3:45 am??? Blink. I remember when 3:45 am was early in the evening not long ago, but *getting up* at 3:45 am?? Blink. ;)

I think I would've freaked if I'd heard a weird noise followed by the pilot's comment. I'm fine on a plane...unless/until I hear a weird noise. Then I get tense.

-Rajah
tigerbow.gif

mickeymoonsm.jpg

cdrtrisal@aol.com

Rajah and VonDrake's Honeymoon

WHALES HATE CHEESE!!!
I pity the fool who feeds whales cheese.

Chicken Girl is five.

TON was at 8:10, and IllumiNations was at 9:00 on the night of our cruise. Good timing, eh?

belle01.gif

The scariest moment I've ever had on an airplane was when I boarded one and realized that an old schoolmate of mine was the pilot! YIKES!

If you make it to installment #11, you'll find that the trip ends with a plane story too!

belle01.gif

Just love hearing "funny" noises on planes. Have done the Illumination cruise - great way to see the show. Thanks for posting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter