the matching t shirt things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry. You are from Australia, not Ohio. Whoops. Must be the last thread I read where the OP is from Ohio.
It's ok if you don't get it. I'm gonna guess 95% of Americans don't like Vegemite. But I bet there are quite a few Aussies that can say exactly why they do.

estherhead said:
Sorry. You are from Australia, not Ohio. Whoops. Must be the last thread I read where the OP is from Ohio.
It's ok if you don't get it. I'm gonna guess 95% of Americans don't like Vegemite. But I bet there are quite a few Aussies that can say exactly why they do.

yep Vegemite is ingrained into our psyche. it is in our DNA .

it's like pbj- unlike many other American institutions it won't catch on here. peanut butter on its own on toast- nothing better, but with jelly- no thanks.

where Americans go wrong with Vegemite is spreading it too thick. it's a light spread

bet you never thought you would get a lesson on vegemite on a Disney forum!!!!!

but don't ever compare it to marmite lol

this site is fun- I can sense that I am going to annoy my wife by spending too much time on it

So happy I did my research before our first trip!!
Thanks to these boards I found sooooo many crafts to do before out trip and it made all the more special.

I only made two sets of matching shirts for our group of 5 and wish I had done more for our trip!
A few great things because of our shirts:
*The pics came out amazing!!!!
*We received quite a bit of compliments :)
*Donald loved that our blue shirt matched his and requested more photos with him :)
*Our Jungle Cruise Guide pointed us out the entire ride!
*When my daughter snuck past us to go back and talk to Tinkerbell some more (and I had a mini heart attack for 10 seconds when I couldn't see her) Tink personally delivered her back to us since my daughter was obviously from the "Red Fairy Family"!!

My hubby was a good sport and I didn't have to threaten him.....much ;) he was skeptical but soon became a believer ;)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Never thought that we'd be the "matchy-matchy" type of family, but once DS was really wanting to be up and running at DW and I lost him and DH in Epcot b/c I could't even remember what they were wearing, we gave it a try. We've never looked back! It is super easy to park, easy to find each other and actually a bit fun. May not be for everyone, but it works for us......

I was thinking about how the OP was sort-of fixated on the fact that this was not an Aussie thing but only something you say in The States. You have to remember, WDW is not an indicator of what you see in the entire country. We have the Mall of America only 10 minutes from me as well as other big theme parks w/i driving distance. Matching shirts are rare there in our experiences. Sure, you can see them on occasion, but I can't even say I've seen them even every dozen visits. Most people just don't do it unless they have a real occasion for it, and WDW always fits that bill. It's the only place we have ever or will ever do it. They just aren't prevalent like they are at WDW. Also, in WDW, Mickey Mouse is a simple shape that most anyone can replicate w/o too much trouble. No need to be an artist to combine the 3 "circles". :):earboy2:::MickeyMo
It's a very useful group visual. When you're in huge tourist areas, you're likely to see them at least on occasion. I think even in NYC when I was there, I only saw one group of matching group shirts in the Met Museum. That place is HUGE. It's not a bad idea in a sea of humanity. ;)
:goodvibes:goodvibes

We did matching shirts last time, and we'll do them again on our spring 2013 trip. Not exactly the same shirt for everyone, but the same color at least. It makes it SO easy to spot your group if you split up or get separated.

I think we would all agree, Disney is fun. The matching t-shirts is just another way of adding to our family fun. We wore matching blue AKL shirts we made for our arrival day in 2010 and yes we were staying at AKL. The cast member checking us in "got it" and was so excited. She gave my DW and both DD roses. We were like celebrities. :rotfl2:

Sometimes you do things in Disney you wouldn't do anywhere else... Like a character meal at the castle for $160. :scared1: or stand in a line for 90 min for a ride you have done several times before, or even pay money to ride "It's a Small World".:lmao:

We all know (many) people who do not get Disney, and if you try to explain it, they just don't see what all the fuss is about. I guess the matching t-shirt thing is sort of the same deal. Know what I mean.:rolleyes1

My family and I are not the matching t-shirt kind of people, but if we did it wouldn't embarrass me. Why would I care what other people thought of it. I don't ask them before I get dressed ANY morning!

this has been enlightening!!!!!

from the sounds of it main reasons are

1) its Disney
2) it's Disney and we wouldn't be caught dead doing it any where else
3) easy to keep group together

like i said in my original post it is something you NEVER see in Australia.

I have only ever seen it in the U.S. - mainly at Disney but also at other places. we only see matching outfits at rugby league or Aussie rules games!!!!!!!

4. everyone is matching for photos.
5. group shirts catch CM's attention.

when my girls were little and we went I would match them (usually like the same shirt or dress in different colors) when they got to be about 9 and 11 I stopped getting them matching stuff. Then last trip after looking at old photo albums they wanted to get matching shirts (which is odd considering how much they fight in everyday life) so they have the same shirts this year they are 13 and 15.All shirts are from stores where they usually shop, no custom or home made types. my husband and I don't have the same shirts neither does my 9 year old son...so I guess our reason would be some eerie kind of spell Disney cast on my daughters that makes they get along with each other for a whole week I won't fight it :)

oh wait I lied there is one day when all 3 kids have the same shirt it is Darth Vader riding a roller coaster figured it would work well for all 3 of them

We particularly noticed lots of matching shirts in HS today. I made a comment about how easy it must be for keeping track of a group, but my husband was appalled! Something about it never happening, yada yada. ;) What would keep me from doing it is photos - I am a huge photopass fan and to have all of us in matching clothes in every photo seems silly to me. At least for my family anyway.

Ridicule me all you want, doesn't bother me.

A better question would be: Why do people let these things bother them?

It has nothing to do with "letting things bother us" it more has to do with the laugh factor, at least for me. Saying it "bothers" certain people is making a huge overstatement.

Just as you are free to wear matching shirts and it does not bother you, then I'm free to walk by you in the park and think said your shirts look silly (especially groups where a 240 pound grown man is wearing a matching Princess shirt with his 3 year old little girl) :rotfl::rotfl:

You are free to wear. I'm free to laugh. And the world keep turning. And nobody gives it a second thought 10 seconds later. Well, unless I take the time to take a photo with my iPhone to send to my friends..........

You are probably right about this. BUT God bless the men who love their family enough or wife to just do it because its something SHE wanted and asked him to do. Thats what marriage and a partnership IS. .

My DH loves his family and wife enough to go back to Disney for a fourth time because he knows his wife loves it and really wants to go - even though he'd MUCH rather spend his holiday time seeing other parts of the world. However, I also love him enough not to try to force him to wear a matching t-shirt which would make him feel EXTREMELY uncomfortable! He's as conservative as they get... :rotfl2:

However, sometimes I think that Disney gets into your subconscious - the Captain of the Jungle Cruise made a joke about us one day - he said that the crocodiles LOVE to eat families in red t-shirts. It wasn't till that moment that I realised that we ALL just happened to be wearing red that day. :scared1:

this has been enlightening!!!!!

like i said in my original post it is something you NEVER see in Australia.

I have only ever seen it in the U.S. - mainly at Disney but also at other places. we only see matching outfits at rugby league or Aussie rules games!!!!!!!

Totally agree!! We're from Sydney and it was a real surprise to us when we saw it.

yep Vegemite is ingrained into our psyche. it is in our DNA .

this site is fun- I can sense that I am going to annoy my wife by spending too much time on it

MMMMmmmm, Vegemite :love:

coco392 - have you discovered the Aussie Board here on the DIS yet? It's a great place to hang out with fellow down-under, Disney fans. You should post your question there - I think you'll find quite a few Aussies that have done the matching shirt thing at Disney ( but would't be caught dead wearing them back home! :rotfl: )

Andona

Generally, I could care less what others do, so long as they are not impeding on my vacation.

We're not matching shirt types, except the little kids - namely the girls. I can also see a little matching for extended-family photos and weddings- but that's about it.

I have seen some outfits that were, imo, over the top. I've seen little girls in tears because it's 100 degrees outside and their matchy-matchy outfit was loaded with crinloline, miserably uncomfortable shoes, scratchy hairbows, and just plain impractical frilly things, that make ride loading difficult. (think what brides endure when they try to use the restroom in a wedding gown). Mom yelling at thelittle girl that she has to wear it because mommy put all that effort into making it. Ugh! If it's making your kid miserable, then yeah it's impeding on my ability to enjoy my vacation. It bothers me to see kids treated that way. (Often mom is also wearing a matching adult version.)

I've also been pommeled by groups (esp of field trip kids) who cut lines to join up with their fellow group members. I'm fine if you are one to two people away from the rest of your group- I'm talking folks who get in line 20 minutes apart and start screaming to each other. I've also found such groups are fast and loose with rules like the no flash phtotography on dark rides rules. I think putting big groups in matching shirts contributes to a 'tribal' mentality.

Those are two examples where the matchy matchy thing goes too far. Both are caese where matching outfits really impedes MY ability to enjoy MY vacation.

Oh, one time we did see two older adults- say seniors- wearing matching light up led Space Mountain jackets on Space Mountain. That one was kind of a hoot! Especially since they were SO enthusiastic about the ride.

Neither of those examples were due to matchy-matchy.... lol

The problem in the first instance is the adult's decision in the situation, not the matchy-matchy. And the group thing has nothing to do with what they are wearing.

But, maybe I wasn't clear enough, my point was not about how it affects others, more so to the point of why people would be concerned about what others think about what they wear. I don't care what you think of my clothing, why would I?

When my kids were younger we did the matching thing. At their ages now, especially DS-16 we don't match. He is a good kid and would wear what I requested but in every day life I constantly tell him-grow up, act your age, blah blah blah....regressing him and dressing him cutsie like his younger brothers at Disney seems counter-productive to that goal...so I let him wear what he wants.

It has nothing to do with "letting things bother us" it more has to do with the laugh factor, at least for me. Saying it "bothers" certain people is making a huge overstatement.

Just as you are free to wear matching shirts and it does not bother you, then I'm free to walk by you in the park and think said your shirts look silly (especially groups where a 240 pound grown man is wearing a matching Princess shirt with his 3 year old little girl) :rotfl::rotfl:

You are free to wear. I'm free to laugh. And the world keep turning. And nobody gives it a second thought 10 seconds later. Well, unless I take the time to take a photo with my iPhone to send to my friends..........

Umm, yeah, you misunderstood me too (as I explained in my previous post).

I'm not concerned if you choose to decide to laugh at my clothing, have at it, it doesn't bother me.

My question is why do people worry about what other people think about their clothing/appearance?

Sometimes you do things in Disney you wouldn't do anywhere else... Like a character meal at the castle for $160. :scared1: or stand in a line for 90 min for a ride you have done several times before, or even pay money to ride "It's a Small World".:lmao:

We all know (many) people who do not get Disney, and if you try to explain it, they just don't see what all the fuss is about. I guess the matching t-shirt thing is sort of the same deal. Know what I mean.:rolleyes1

Or wear Mickey ears. Or take pictures with a mouse, dog, duck, chipmunk, or any other myriad of animal. Or talk to strangers on the bus. Or run around looking for hidden Mickeys (never heard of someone searching for hidden Six Flags). Or any other wonderful things that only happen at Disney. I think matching shirts are cute. We wore them one day for AK:

7787336798_2f55391c30.jpg

And we got loads of comments and it was nice to get pictures with all three of us together (and Perry too of course!). My husband and son (9 yo) have even requested more matching shirts for our next trip. I don't see why it's weird for a family to love doing something that is fun together. Matching shirts are silly and fun, just like everything else at Disney. If you are only going to Disney for the rides .... you go in, get on the rides only, leave without experiencing the ambiance, the characters, the shows, or any of the magic, then I would think your money would be better spent at other theme parks that have much more thrilling rides. I suspect those who choose to go to Disney go because there is a kind of magic there and even if wearing matching shirts isn't your kind of magic, for some it is.

:dance3:

I will say this though, on the day that we wore matching shirts, we ate dinner at an Olive Garden nearby. Once we were seated and our waiter came over, he asked us how we had enjoyed Disney. At first I wondered how he knew we had come from there, then I remembered we were wearing our matching shirts!! :) Guess it is a dead give away. :cutie:

Rachel

This upcoming DIsney trip will contain 6 very small children and I thought it would be adorable and so much fun if, upon waking up Day 1 in Disney World - each kid got a brand new Disney t-shirt to match his/her sibling/cousins. Plus - double duty. As a lot of people said - it will make it that much easier to take a quick head count if all the kids are wearing the same shirt. I don't know if the 8 adults on the trip will match along too but its DISNEY!!! For people like us who only go maybe once a year, we want our entire trip to be as special as possible. To make a trip special - we have to LET GO. And what better way to totally let go then get a little goofy?! (or Mickey..or pirate-y)

I always thought the shirts were a little corny. But then I grew up. And had babies. And well now I guess I am a little corny. :banana:

I'll do some t shirts for my little ones (5 and twins that will be 3.5) so they're easy to spot but, I draw the line with putting my H and myself in the matching shirts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter