• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Most Bang For Your Buck

LMA712014

Mouseketeer
This covers an array of topics so I stuck it in here while my brain is processing (out loud so I can rationalize).

I was contemplating purchasing AP passes for all of us (around $3600) for 3 trips (Nov ‘18, Feb ‘19 and Oct ‘19). In theory that would save $1800ish in tickets (4 with extra day park hoppers from UT for all 3 trips). With the AP and a TIW Card I figured we’d have additional savings too.

We planned to stay on site at Ft Wilderness in our RV.

The same week in November for an offsite RV site (about 20min away) is around $300 cheaper. I haven’t been able to price 2019 but assume it will also be a sizable discount (since my husband insists on going down Presidents Day week and a premium site at the Fort for a week is around $1200).

Since my husband doesn’t adore Disney and we could totally spend less time at Disney and split the trip between there and elsewhere in Orlando/FL, I’m starting to wonder if the better plan is offsite to save money. We can easily tow our SUV with the RV and have a vehicle anywho. If I purchased one AP for myself we could get the free parking at the parks and still explore elsewhere.

I know this would mean we could only book FP 30 days out. I’m also preferring the idea of Disney transport (because it was so easy with little kids - aka no car seats). It’d pose more of a challenge for our Feb trip, as if my husband takes our vehicle to the auction we’d be stranded if we weren’t staying on site.

Am I missing anything? Any big pros or cons? Maybe we will split the stay in February if there’s a significant savings (some at the Fort, some off site so we can embrace the transport on those days for simplicity).

Novel over

This covers an array of topics so I stuck it in here while my brain is processing (out loud so I can rationalize).

I was contemplating purchasing AP passes for all of us (around $3600) for 3 trips (Nov ‘18, Feb ‘19 and Oct ‘19). In theory that would save $1800ish in tickets (4 with extra day park hoppers from UT for all 3 trips). With the AP and a TIW Card I figured we’d have additional savings too.

We planned to stay on site at Ft Wilderness in our RV.

The same week in November for an offsite RV site (about 20min away) is around $300 cheaper. I haven’t been able to price 2019 but assume it will also be a sizable discount (since my husband insists on going down Presidents Day week and a premium site at the Fort for a week is around $1200).

Since my husband doesn’t adore Disney and we could totally spend less time at Disney and split the trip between there and elsewhere in Orlando/FL, I’m starting to wonder if the better plan is offsite to save money. We can easily tow our SUV with the RV and have a vehicle anywho. If I purchased one AP for myself we could get the free parking at the parks and still explore elsewhere.

I know this would mean we could only book FP 30 days out. I’m also preferring the idea of Disney transport (because it was so easy with little kids - aka no car seats). It’d pose more of a challenge for our Feb trip, as if my husband takes our vehicle to the auction we’d be stranded if we weren’t staying on site.

Am I missing anything? Any big pros or cons? Maybe we will split the stay in February if there’s a significant savings (some at the Fort, some off site so we can embrace the transport on those days for simplicity).

Novel over

If your husband has your vehicle, you wouldn't have to be totally without transportation....Uber is easy and not too expensive to use for a couple of trips here and there (of course if your kids are in car seats, that makes Uber more expensive and not as convenient). One trip we stayed offsite, with one vehicle, and DH had some work commitments. He just dropped us off at the park early that morning and picked us up at the end of the day, maybe something like that would also work for you?

If your husband has your vehicle, you wouldn't have to be totally without transportation....Uber is easy and not too expensive to use for a couple of trips here and there (of course if your kids are in car seats, that makes Uber more expensive and not as convenient). One trip we stayed offsite, with one vehicle, and DH had some work commitments. He just dropped us off at the park early that morning and picked us up at the end of the day, maybe something like that would also work for you?

I did think about this! But they’re all in car seats - so it’d mostly just be a major pain in the behind (I think I’m now spoiled by the concept of Disney transportation haha - if car seats weren’t a factor though it’d be a different story)

I did think about this! But they’re all in car seats - so it’d mostly just be a major pain in the behind (I think I’m now spoiled by the concept of Disney transportation haha - if car seats weren’t a factor though it’d be a different story)

I wasn't sure about that from your original post! But having hubby drop you off might work? Or maybe you drop him at the auction or let HIM take the uber?

I wasn't sure about that from your original post! But having hubby drop you off might work? Or maybe you drop him at the auction or let HIM take the uber?

I should’ve clarified for sure! Haha.

Him taking an Uber may be an option for sure! I hadn’t really considered that.

My opinion is biased, because we're AP holders and always stay offsite. We're hard core offsite fans, we wouldn't stay onsite if it were free...seriously. With that admitted bias, I would strongly suggest looking at staying offsite. You'll get so much more for your money. You can get a 3 or 4 bedroom, 2.5 or 3 bath condo/townhouse for $700/week give or take. Plus, it opens up your world to more than just the on property "Disney bubble". If your DH isn't a huge Disney person, it gives you so many options of things to do.

To me, the Disney buses are a deal breaking negative, not a positive, so again I'm biased there. Having your own car will give you the freedom to go where you want, when you want.

My opinion is biased, because we're AP holders and always stay offsite. We're hard core offsite fans, we wouldn't stay onsite if it were free...seriously. With that admitted bias, I would strongly suggest looking at staying offsite. You'll get so much more for your money. You can get a 3 or 4 bedroom, 2.5 or 3 bath condo/townhouse for $700/week give or take. Plus, it opens up your world to more than just the on property "Disney bubble". If your DH isn't a huge Disney person, it gives you so many options of things to do.

To me, the Disney buses are a deal breaking negative, not a positive, so again I'm biased there. Having your own car will give you the freedom to go where you want, when you want.

Biased is totally fine by me haha.

I mean if we go down in November we can stay for $369 in our RV for a week versus $680 at the Fort (which is a pretty big chunk of savings) and I’ll find out the price difference today for February (but I’m assuming a similar discount).

The buses were convenient for us to just hop onto/off of with toddlers, but like I said - I don’t think it’s $300+ convenient.

I'm wondering if you stay off site if you might want to rent a car for a couple days while your husband has to work. At least you could price it and see if you can find a deal.

I’ve done both lots of times but with kids those ages and the possibility of being without a car for a few days I would definitely stay on-site. Maybe cut back each trip by a day or two to save money that way instead. I don’t love the buses but my kids usually enjoyed riding them, they always said they “were the first and last ride of the day”. Plus I haven’t stayed there since I was a kid, but FW seems like it has so much to do with ithour even going to the park

Also, you really need to think about what other activities you would do, as those can really add up. Universal, Seaworld, Legoland, etc all cost as much as Disney. What about just doing two Disney trips and then taking your RV to go see some of the other amazing sights in the US, especially if your DH doesn’t love Disney (mine doesn’t either!).

Just by the info given that you have an RV I would go elsewhere. We love to stay on property but I have looked at Ft Wilderness for camping and what they charge for tent camping sites is insane so I would imagine for an RV you could get a ton more bang for your buck off disney property. If you do drive into disney with your SUV you will incur park parking fees but that's not a huge expense and perhaps more fuel cost which I'm sure you watch driving an RV. I think the AP (in theory as you said) are a cost save if you make all those planned trips. For the Nov trip if you do something else besides disney, you just need to calculate the cost of your tix based on your number of days in the park and also be sure that you do those other Disney trips to get your AP value. I wouldn't sweat the 30 day FP+ window. We have booked FP+ during pretty busy times only a few days in advance and gotten a lot of good ones. On our last trip the only coveted FP+ for MK we couldn't get was 7DMT.

To me, when the kids are younger is when Disney Transportation is the most NON convenient. They would always fall asleep on the bus and try getting 3 sleeping kids and a stroller off a bus when there is only 2 adults. Then the long walk back to the room from the bus stop. We stayed on site once with kids. I did not enjoy it. It was so much nicer off site for us, cheaper, bigger accommodations and no waiting on buses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter