• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The mysterious phone call on check out day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gail,

This is my first day on here, and already I am disgusted. I am not even sure I will be coming back. It is hard to believe that people think like this at a time when we all are hurting so much.

First of all I don't believe that "intelligent television" is an oxymoron. If you turn on CNN or MSNBC you would know that television can be and is intelligent. Remind me the next time I speak to Peter Jennings and Tom Brokaw to let them know that Gail in CT thinks you are dumb.

As much as everyone in this country says that the attack was on America, no one feels it more than NYers. It is nice to know that people around the country have sympathy but we live here, it is our jobs that are on the line, not the people in CT.

You are the first and only person that I have heard bad mouth NY since this tragedy. It is one thing to think negatively, but another to express this to people who may be trying to get their minds off this awful thing.

Just for your information, I don't think that FIGARO30 was stating that I LOVE NEW YORK is new, she was just stating that even people who disliked NYers are now wearing signs like these. I hope that you start watching some intelligent television so that you may understand things like this.

It is nice to know that people around the world can put aside any negative feelings they have towards nyc and their constituents, but our own neighbor can't get off her high horse to do the same.

I LOVE NEW YORK

Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
I do NOT LIKE NYC or the little boroughs, people are rude, rude, rude. The attitude is horay for me and the he** with you.

As someone who was born and raised in New York (one of the "little boroughs" actually, Brooklyn) I am deeply offended (and a little surprised) by your comments. It's fine to not like NYC, but to attack all of the people who live in NYC because you don't like it there is incomprehensible.

And....only an NYer would call someone ignorant without knowing them. The jokes about Nyers are not entirely unfounded, you know. And, there are lots of them.

And what do you call someone who writes off 8,000,000+ people based on the knowledge of a few? A CT resident? Do you realize how stupid it sounds to characterize the rest of the people who live in a certain area by the words or actions of one (or a few) of the people who just happen to live in the same area?

Just because there are jokes about something, doesn't mean it's a good generalization to make. All Polish people are not stupid because of their ethnicity, all blondes aren't stupid because of their hair color and residents of NYC (and the "little boroughs") are not all rude because of where they live. I'm of polish descent, I'm blonde and I'm from NYC. If I base my world view on what I learn from jokes, I might as well just give up on life because I'll never be anything but stupid and rude.

By the way, to respond to the original thread, I can't believe that people who want to sleep late on their last day of vacation are called petty for it. Often on our last day of vacation we party until we can't party anymore and come crawling back to bed sometime after 2am. We usually pack the day before except for a few things we need to get dressed the next morning. If I want to sleep until 10:30 (a luxury I only have on vacation since I generally work 7 days a week when I'm NOT on vacation) and take a quick shower, throw on some clothes and have bell services pick up my luggage, that's what I'll do and I would be really annoyed if I got a phone call 6 hours after I got to bed (I live on 6 hours or less of sleep on a regular basis, I don't need that on vacation).

I don't understand how someone can think this kind of behavior is ok? It's like being in a restaurant and wanting to enjoy coffee and dessert after dinner and having the server come by and ask if you would mind taking your coffee and dessert to go so that they can turn over the table more quickly for another guest. Would you think it petty if your disney server handed you your $8 dessert in a styrofoam box and your coffee in a styrofoam cup with your check as they ushered you out the door after you just spent $100 for two on a nice dinner?

That's how DVC members who feel "rushed" out of their rooms the morning after checkout must feel. I just spent $10,000 + and i'm being asked to hit the road as fast as possible? It's not petty to be annoyed, but it IS petty to rush people out at the end of their stay.

Lisa

Lets not overreact. We all like to get into our rooms early, the staff are just trying to get a head start and facilitate this. I am sure that not everyone rings housekeeping to let them know that they are checking out and the room is free(I do :) ). Pherhaps an early call is out of order, but lets keep a phone call in perspective.

nylover....if you look at most of the threads on this board, you will find them to be extremely helpful and informative. This particular thread has turned ugly and should probably be halted.

If you are looking for DVC information with the thought of joining, you will not find a better source for it on the internet, IMHO. The responders here are knowledgeable and passionate. They are not unbiased, but provide many facts in addition to opinions.

I had promised myself not to come back to this thread, but I tend to try to keep up with everything, even if I don't care for what is being said.

Welcome to the DIS board and feel free to start threads, ask questions or voice opinions....please let's all just keep the opinions to DVC and not to our fellow citizens!

I had started this thread to point a problem that has persisted on my visits to OKW for some time now. It seems that things have taken a different course from the original subject. I have asked the webmaster to stop the comments on this because it does not seem to be productive anymore.
My purpose was to see if others were having this problem and to get some comments on what could be done. I can see now that the only type of reaction I can get on this board is to be called names and basicaly told that I imagined the whole thing. My only recourse is to stop reading this board and to stop supporting the sponsers of this board. I don't treat people like this and don't expect to be treated like this.

So sorry this happened Dennis.....if it's any consolation I do agree with your issue being a problem and plan on doing something about it so it does not continue to happen.

Very sorry again that your thread turned into something so ugly. I truly apologize.

Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
I do NOT LIKE NYC or the little boroughs, people are rude, rude, rude. The attitude is horay for me and the he** with you. I have been there, I have done that and I do speak from experience. So, resent what I believe to be a fact from my experience all you want.
What ignorant comments, and disgusting too in light of the attacks. But...not unexpected. :rolleyes: I too have spent much time in NYC over the last 40 years, and my sister has lived there for 30. We've had wonderful experiences...but then again, maybe it's what you make of it; sometimes you need to look within yourself to find where the problem lies.

As far as the phone calls...haven't actually stayed at DVC yet...first trip coming up; we will be checking out by 10 AM, and most likely will be up very early to get everything together. But I agree that under other circumstances, this could be a big problem. If I had to drive on check out day, getting a good night's sleep would be crucial. I would make every effort the night before to be ready to go to take advantage of being able to sleep in. ANY hang up phone call under ANY circumstances...at home or on vacation...is rude and annoying; when it's due to what their apparently doing...trying to get you out ASAP when you have until 11 AM...it would infuriate me.

I would think that most people have a pretty good idea at check-in about what time they plan to check out. I think that asking at check-in is a starting point to solving the problem.

I would think that most people have a pretty good idea at check-in about what time they plan to check out. I think that asking at check-in is a starting point to solving the problem.

An excellent idea! If housekeeping had this info, listed on a chart or something for check-out days, the calls could probably be avoided, or they could call at your estimated time (plus maybe 15 minutes) to see if you had, indeed, left 'on time'.

Ok, there has been plenty of opportunity on this thread for everyone to voice their opinions on phone calls from housekeeping. The thread has wandered away from the original topic and now includes insults, arguments and attacks. Therefore, it is being closed here on the DVC Board. Please feel free to re-introduce the topic on our Debate Board if you would like to engage in a lively debate on this subject or any of the other subjects included in this thread. Thanks to all for understanding and cooperation! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter