The new DVC Riviera Resort??

I also wonder how they’ll deal with the increased use of the IG.
This is something that I think needs to be talked about more. As it stands now, the capacity at IG is barely sufficient to handle the Epcot resorts. Without expanding the infrastructure there I can't imagine how they are going to handle people rolling off of gondolas every 20-30 seconds.

I’d rate the desirability below the MK and Epcot resorts, but above SSR and OKW. So, in line with AKV.

There is not going to be AC. There are very few systems with AC, due to various operational issues of having it function. In Disney's environment, it would be pretty dysfunctional. That said, similar gondola systems are in use in Hong Kong and India, without AC, and they are fine. They are cooled by forced air venting. They do not have cooling units, because the power to run them is high.
Sounds like Disney has it covered :)

This is something that I think needs to be talked about more. As it stands now, the capacity at IG is barely sufficient to handle the Epcot resorts. Without expanding the infrastructure there I can't imagine how they are going to handle people rolling off of gondolas every 20-30 seconds.
The issue at IG is really with security, not the tap stations. The gondola is supposed to have security screening at the resorts, and disembark inside the security bubble. They can easily and quickly add another 4 to 8 tap stations, and with a little construction about 16 to 24.

I'm always interested in a new addition to the DVC resort family even though I know I wouldn't necessarily purchase points at most of them. I have enough points but a shortage of years at this point so realistically, I'm not likely to buy any more no matter where they build another resort. However, Rivieria sounds very interesting to me and I'm looking forward to staying there when it opens. Gondolas don't cause me any unease and if they turn out to be a relatively quick and easy method of transportation to the parks, I think they'll be well received. That and the somewhat spectacular views from the resort that are severely lacking at the other Epcot resorts, will make them popular enough IMO.

As far as the IG goes, as with all things Disney, if it gets more crowded, it gets more crowded. We'll just have to deal.

I'm always interested in a new addition to the DVC resort family even though I know I wouldn't necessarily purchase points at most of them. I have enough points but a shortage of years at this point so realistically, I'm not likely to buy any more no matter where they build another resort. However, Rivieria sounds very interesting to me and I'm looking forward to staying there when it opens. Gondolas don't cause me any unease and if they turn out to be a relatively quick and easy method of transportation to the parks, I think they'll be well received. That and the somewhat spectacular views from the resort that are severely lacking at the other Epcot resorts, will make them popular enough IMO.

As far as the IG goes, as with all things Disney, if it gets more crowded, it gets more crowded. We'll just have to deal.
My biggest issue with the Gondolas is there is talk of removing all other forms of transportation to the locations that they go to, which could cause problems for those with a fear of heights, etc.

Overall, I think the Gondola system is a good idea though, as it can handle a massive number of people per hour with minimal operational costs.

There is not going to be AC. There are very few systems with AC, due to various operational issues of having it function. In Disney's environment, it would be pretty dysfunctional. That said, similar gondola systems are in use in Hong Kong and India, without AC, and they are fine. They are cooled by forced air venting. They do not have cooling units, because the power to run them is high.
Actually they could use the same system than 2013 and newer Nissan Leafs use, although on a larger scale of course (although probably not too much larger, depending on the size of the cabins), which is basically a heat pump:
https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/heat_pump_cabin_heater.html

Overall this would need minimal amounts of electricity compared to a traditional AC system and it would be relatively lightweight, plus it could provide heat during the colder periods all from the same unit.

So in other words, it could be done with a little bit of engineering, which Disney is quite capable of doing. Given the size and the fact that I would assume that there are already going to be heaters for the colder periods, I would think that Disney could even add these in after the fact if necessary, but I would think they would want to get it right from the start.

I'm generally adverse to DVC resorts that are not walking distance to the parks. Being on the monorail or the gondola system is convenient until you're trying to leave at the same time as 40,000 other guests right after a nighttime spectacular. The walk back to Boardwalk or BLT is worth the price of admission alone.

That being said, if the price point is right, I would be interested in buying in at the Rivera if Disney follows through on its promised amenities. Problem is that DVC direct prices (in my mind) blew through the value proposition ceiling about $50 ago so I'm not holding out much hope that it will be priced reasonably.
The Gondola systems should actually be able to handle this far better than the monorail or bus systems, as they would be continuous loaders like Haunted Mansion, Buzz, and TTA are.

Probably no interest in buying at Rivera.. But, might stay there a night or two to try it out.

Actually they could use the same system than 2013 and newer Nissan Leafs use, although on a larger scale of course (although probably not too much larger, depending on the size of the cabins), which is basically a heat pump:
https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/heat_pump_cabin_heater.html

Overall this would need minimal amounts of electricity compared to a traditional AC system and it would be relatively lightweight, plus it could provide heat during the colder periods all from the same unit.

So in other words, it could be done with a little bit of engineering, which Disney is quite capable of doing. Given the size and the fact that I would assume that there are already going to be heaters for the colder periods, I would think that Disney could even add these in after the fact if necessary, but I would think they would want to get it right from the start.

Disney have bought stock carriages from a major manufacturer. I doubt they can just alter them easily.

An air conditioner is basically a heat-pump already, just a heat-pump is designed to run in both directions -- heating or cooling. The reason Nissan touts it's heat pump is because it is more energy efficient than traditional resistance heaters. The amount of energy to run this on a gondola would be enormous, still. The engineering on this wouldn't be done by Disney, but by the gondola manufacturer. And, they have done that engineering, in London, and it doesn't work well and is turned off more often than not. Well-informed insiders have verified that there will not be air conditioning on the gondolas. Or heaters, for that matter.

I also don't believe they have heaters. Same issue of energy, with an added issue that comes with many types of transit: you don't want to heat it up much for short journeys. People come in dressed for outside and do not have the time or space to strip down for a short journey.

I live SUPER close to WDW and the mentions of heaters are keeping me chuckling. There are precious few days where it is cold each winter here, with rare exception. Put a few bodies in a small enclosed, GLASS vehicle, especially if it's sunny, (which in winter odds are higher that it will be as winter is NOT rainy season here), and no one is going to freeze for sure. Heck, it's rare we even get a light frost.

While I understand the apparent unlikelihood of the A/C after reading some seemingly very knowledgeable posts, I truly cannot imagine how hot these glass gondolas could get without refrigerated air. For example, my car..... it's got lots of glass. And when I leave it in the FL sun for as little as 5 minutes, it heats up like a furnace! So now I get in my car, and roll down the windows and drive off. Sure, that drops the temperature, but even with the "forced air" from outside into my moving car, it is still HOT. Uncomfortably so. And it is HOT the vast majority of the year here.

It will be mighty interesting to see how this whole gondola thing works out in practice. We shall see......

The ones in Singapore and Hong Kong do not have AC. Average temperature on Lantau Island in high summer ranges from 76F in April to 87F in July, August and September. These are averages, mind you.

Singapore, year round, is high 80s-low 90s, with rain 10-15 days per month. They've been operating since 1974. No AC there either.

So there is plenty of data on how mostly-glass cars with forced air vents perform in consistent wet heat. Disney is not forging new ground here.

The ones in Singapore and Hong Kong do not have AC. Average temperature on Lantau Island in high summer ranges from 76F in April to 87F in July, August and September. These are averages, mind you.

Singapore, year round, is high 80s-low 90s, with rain 10-15 days per month. They've been operating since 1974. No AC there either.

So there is plenty of data on how mostly-glass cars with forced air vents perform in consistent wet heat. Disney is not forging new ground here.

I totally believe you, Auroraborealis. :cutie: But having lived here for 20 years and knowing that our heat index has been in the low 100's for many days this summer, I just don't see how it will work. Maybe the folks in Singapore and Hong Kong are not as dependent on A/C as we are here in the U.S. :D It remains to be seen. And see we shall in time, yes? :flower:

I think that this resort will sell like crazy. I think an overall majority of direct buyers are first time buyers and will buy whatever is available at a theme park dvc resort. I didn't think that CC would sell very well, but I guess it is selling very well.

The sky ride that Disney used to have connecting Fantasy Land and Tomorrow Land never had AC or heat and to my knowledge nobody ever died on it due to heat or cold related issues. I do think that somebody jumped from one and a custodian was killed while cleaning the platform. As for storms, the boats at the current Epcot resorts close for lightning and it does not impact us very often at all.

I totally believe you, Auroraborealis. :cutie: But having lived here for 20 years and knowing that our heat index has been in the low 100's for many days this summer, I just don't see how it will work. Maybe the folks in Singapore and Hong Kong are not as dependent on A/C as we are here in the U.S. :D It remains to be seen. And see we shall in time, yes? :flower:

The reason your car gets so hot is because of the greenhouse effect. Energy enters through the windows of your car, heats the air, and the air has nowhere to escape. The energy continuing to enter increases the temperature of the air quickly. As long as air is moving, though, it would only increase a degree or so compared to the outside air, so a moving air system would work fine as long as you are dressed for the outside weather.

I agree that 100 degree days are hot, but the gondolas will not get up to 110, and if they ran AC with the doors opening and closing all the time, it wouldn't make much of a different anyway.

The sky ride that Disney used to have connecting Fantasy Land and Tomorrow Land never had AC or heat and to my knowledge nobody ever died on it due to heat or cold related issues.

True. But those were tiny, open air vehicles. Not enclosed glass.

I agree that 100 degree days are hot, but the gondolas will not get up to 110, and if they ran AC with the doors opening and closing all the time, it wouldn't make much of a different anyway.

Agree with your point, Ben E N, but everyone here is saying there will be NO a/c. Again, we will all see how this pans out in the not too distant future, won't we? :cutie:

The reason your car gets so hot is because of the greenhouse effect. Energy enters through the windows of your car, heats the air, and the air has nowhere to escape

Actually, when I need to cool my car down, I open a window in the front and the opposite window in the back as that helps the air to move through. Otherwise you get that weird air wuffle sound. Well, the BEST way to cool my car down is use satellite to start my car and set my A/C. :rotfl2: :D Didn't mean that to be smart. It's just true. :joker:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter