The new KFC Colonel

That's Darrell Hammond?! I never guessed that! I guess he can't find any decent work.

He is the new announcer for Saturday Night Live. He is taking over for Don Pardo since he passed. Seemed kinda weird to me since he used to be on the show. Maybe they'll bring him onstage occasionally for skits?

I just watched it on Youtube- creepy! What's up with that laugh at the end?

Even the animated Colonel was better then this one!

I just googled a preview of a commercial with the new Colonel and I didn't think it was creepy? What makes it creepy? I don't think they picked the right actor to portray the Colonel, but only because he doesn't really look like him and his age doesn't seem right. I didn't get any bad uncle vibes from watching a guy in a white suit carry around a bunch of chicken :confused3.

I think they're fine, mildly funny, but his little songs get stuck in my head..."and a big ol'cookie!' If I can already sing the jingle then I would call it effective advertising. I also now want a KFC biscuit, which is the best thing they serve!

I'm old enough to remember Harland Sanders and his commercials while he was alive. This TV incarnation of him, IMHO is terrible. But then again the current incarnation of what KFC calls chicken is nothing like what it use to be when the real Col. Sanders was alive and would also call it terrible.

Since Colonel Sanders was a REAL person, I find it a bit disrespectful to turn him into a "character" like Ronald McDonald or The Hamburglar. It's like if they had someone dressing up as Walt Disney for Meet n Greets, or having some campy actor pretending to be Walt in Disney commercials.

I think the commercials are disrespectful of the real Colonel Sanders. I don't get why the company wanted to do it.
I agree completely. There are too many of us that still remember the real Colonel Sanders and what he looked like and how he talked. Wait another 20 years and it should work alright.

I have no idea who Darrell Hammond is (except what I've read in this thread, thanks to those who knew lol) but I think he's creepy and just wrong. I really dislike these commercials, I too feel they are disrespectful to the original Colonel Sanders. When these commercials come on I either fast forward or change the station, I seriously don't like them.

Since Colonel Sanders was a REAL person, I find it a bit disrespectful to turn him into a "character" like Ronald McDonald or The Hamburglar.

I agree completely. There are too many of us that still remember the real Colonel Sanders and what he looked like and how he talked. Wait another 20 years and it should work alright.

I think part of the problem was that they hired a comedian who does impersonations. "Impersonations" aren't the same as a real actor believably embodying person. Hammond has the accent and physical mannerisms and through all the hair & makeup the look, but he doesn't have the skills to believably act & embody the essence of the real Colonel. Thus, he's coming out creepy under the hair, makeup & accent. An impersonation is always what it is, an obviously superficial copy. Daniel Day Lewis embodied Abraham Lincoln when he did that role. We believed him as Lincoln. KFC can't afford Day Lewis, (nor would DDL want to do it, :p) but surely they could have found a no-name real actor who could have really acted and embodied the Colonel.

OR for the amount of money they must have paid Hammond, they could have done the special effects that Natalie Cole did with inserted actual nostalgic, filmed footage of her father Nat King Cole, in her Unforgettable music video, only inserting real, old commercial footage of the real Colonel into a new "nostalgic" commercial.

Even the Snickers commercials use actual old footage from old TV shows and inserts them into a modern commercial. Like the Brady Bunch Snickers commercial with "Marcia" needing to eat a Snickers bar.

Last edited:
I think part of the problem was that they hired a comedian who does impersonations. "Impersonations" aren't the same as a real actor believably embodying person. Hammond has the accent and physical mannerisms and through all the hair & makeup the look, but he doesn't have the skills to believably act & embody the essence of the real Colonel. Thus, he's coming out creepy under the hair, makeup & accent. An impersonation is always what it is, an obviously superficial copy. Daniel Day Lewis embodied Abraham Lincoln when he did that role. We believed him as Lincoln. KFC can't afford Day Lewis, (nor would DDL want to do it, :p) but surely they could have found a no-name real actor who could have really acted and embodied the Colonel.

OR for the amount of money they must have paid Hammond, they could have done the special effects that Natalie Cole did with inserted actual nostalgic, filmed footage of her father Nat King Cole, in her Unforgettable music video, only inserting real, old commercial footage of the real Colonel into a new "nostalgic" commercial.

Even the Snickers commercials use actual old footage from old TV shows and inserts them into a modern commercial. Like the Brady Bunch Snickers commercial with "Marcia" needing to eat a Snickers bar.
The thing that I found distasteful was the fact that he did look a lot like the old Coronal and to those that have only seen his image on the sign or bucket it could almost translate to real. If he had just said... Hi I'm the Coronal instead, I'm Coronal Sanders, I would have been less concerned. Burger King or Ronald McDonald and even Mickey Mouse are corporate symbols, not real things. It would be the same if they hired someone to imitate Dave Thomas to promote Wendy's. Hard to describe, but, definitely felt strange.

I don't think he's creepy, but I don't like him. I think he looks & acts like a parody of the real Colonel Sanders. Like someone else said, when I first saw the commercial, I thought it was a commercial for a competing fast food chicken restaurant like Bojangles or something.

Not a fan!

I'm old enough to remember Harland Sanders and his commercials while he was alive. This TV incarnation of him, IMHO is terrible. But then again the current incarnation of what KFC calls chicken is nothing like what it use to be when the real Col. Sanders was alive and would also call it terrible.
This. Exactly. A bucket of Colonel Sanders' Kentucky Fried Chicken was a real taste treat for our family when I was growing up. Never a piece left. If you brought a bucket to any picnic, it was guaranteed to be popular with your group.

A few years back the Yum! Brands (KFC owner) completely got rid of Col. Sanders' name and image, and reduced the Kentucky Fried Chicken brand name to just KFC. The chicken they used has not been top quality. It is now over-the-top filled with sodium. The secret recipe seems to have pulled back on some spice ingredients. Lots of times the coating is spongy or greasy. The sides are terrible quality. The kernel corn seems to be served for hours or days after it should be thrown out. As PP posted, the biscuits are about the best thing at KFC (and they're not really that good).

So when I see "New Col. Sanders" I see KFC trying to invent a fresh new character out of whole cloth, not re-introducing and celebrating the old Col. Sanders and all he represented -- tasty, quality food. The "New Col. Sanders" is everything that's wrong with KFC -- low-quality schlock. Phooey!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter