The New Will Trent series

disneyseniors

DIS Veteran
Has anyone been watching the new Will Trent series by the author Karin Slaughter?
I have read all the books, and the characters are totally different from the books.
I can't seem to get around the changes from the book series.
The books, BTW, are fantastic and very intriguing.
My husband has never read the books and likes the series.
Just wondering what others think of it, whether they have read the books or not.

I think it's pretty good, didn't read the books.

I'm fine with all the rest of the changes (Will's physical appearance, the color-blind casting, etc.) but the one that is screwing with my head is the rehabilitation of Angie. (Well, and Will's magically-morphing Georgia accent, but I digress.)

Eliminating their marriage and having her NOT play with his head as a cat plays with a mouse is wiping out about 70% of what drives him; it's every quirk about him that doesn't stem from the dyslexia. In the TV show Angie is flawed but fundamentally kind, but in the books she's definitely a sociopath, maybe even a psychopath. The Angie of the books absolutely revels in making Will suffer, and that influences his relationships with other people.

I find it interesting that Betty is still a Chihauhua, given that the joke of a ridiculously small dog belonging to a ridiculously tall man isn't part of the plot any more. (And Chihauhuas are notoriously difficult to film with.) We won't get the slapstick of Will dealing with Faith's Mini, either. I'm not sure where they are going to go for humor now. Amanda? (The humor of the books is a big part of why I love them; it helps to relieve the tension of the very searingly ugly criminal cases.)

Last edited:

I'm enjoying the show. Didn't know it was based on a book series! Something else to now load on my Kindle!

I didn’t read the books, but I’m enjoying the show. I didn’t realize there were so many changes from the books.

I’ve read the books but can’t honestly remember anything about them - I think I need to reread them before I search out the show.

I stopped after episode 2, maybe in the middle of the episode. I love the books and the differences bug me.
I think I read that they aren’t putting Sara in the tv show. That is a show stopper for me, totally throws off the best relationships.

I stopped after episode 2, maybe in the middle of the episode. I love the books and the differences bug me.
I think I read that they aren’t putting Sara in the tv show. That is a show stopper for me, totally throws off the best relationships.
Yeah, the new "kinder, gentler" Angie appears to be just an unreliable girlfriend with a minor drug problem, rather than an unstable lunatic wife who disappears for months on end, so they don't really need Sara, I guess.

I have been watching but not sure I will continue. It feels all over the place. The cop tonight hitting the guy , saying he had no backup made up my mind this isn’t a show for me. Was hoping it was more like a Colombo where he saw things others didn’t.

Have not read the books so not sure what is missing.

I really like the series. Have never read the books. I live in Georgia so I like all the references regarding places I. Familiar with.

I have been watching but not sure I will continue. It feels all over the place. The cop tonight hitting the guy , saying he had no backup made up my mind this isn’t a show for me. Was hoping it was more like a Colombo where he saw things others didn’t.

Have not read the books so not sure what is missing.
The business of seeing things that others miss *is* characteristic of the Will Trent character, but if crooked cops and very violent crime scenes are off-putting to you, I'd steer clear. Both of those things are sort of trademarks of Karin Slaughter novels.

Reactions: NAB
I've never read the books and so far have only found the show so-so. But I might give the books a try, I'm always looking for a new book series to read.

Love the books. Hard to set that aside and give the series a fair chance. It's just too different. In the books, the way Angie and Amanda interact with Will are fundamental to why he is the way he is - but those parts are missing in the TV version.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter