The No Good, Bummed Out Last Few Weeks

Christine

DIS Veteran
Hey all, believe it or not, I am generally an upbeat person where things don't get me down much or not for long.

But do you ever have one of those spans of time were one odd thing happens after another, with not any one event overwhelming you, but then they all do? I know that's a yes! It seems that has finally hit me today.

First, about 2 weeks ago, my adult son was hit by a car walking his dog (he lives FAR away from me). He called because the dog had ran off. Fortunately someone got it right away and he got her back. The good news is my son was found to be okay after an ER visit, but sadly the accident was a hit and run, which just really bothered me and my son. People, smh.

Then right after that some friends of my son's were having a wedding back here on the east coast. Having it in a town they don't live in but most of their family does. While doing all the wedding stuff a few days before, some relatives volunteered to watch the dog while the couple were doing something and the dog got away. They thought it might come back so they didn't tell anyone until the next day. It's now been 10 days and no sign of the dog anywhere. No sightings after the first 2 days. The couple cancelled their rehearsal dinner, had to go through with the wedding, and then cancelled their honeymoon trip because they are so devastated. As some of you know, I'm a huge animal lover--especially dogs, and this bothers me more than you can imagine. I feel terrible for the couple and how they must feel and, of course, worried sick about this dog but I'm helpless to do anything but offer suggestions on how to post on social media.

Then in the past week, two of my uncles passed related to COVID. One uncle was an uncle by marriage and I really had no relationship with him but sad to see his life end like this. He got COVID, went to the hospital due to his age, stayed a few days, they released him and he died 2 days later.

My other uncle, who has been in my life all my life, got a mild case of COVID in June which caused a blood clot. He went into the hospital with that and just had a slow spiral down ever since. His immediate family pulled him out of a rehab facility last week (they were doing nothing in the way of rehab, IMO) so he could come home and at least he passed in his home. Both uncles were in their 80s and I know this is who COVID preys upon so I'm not shocked but when it happens in your family, it's no longer a statistic on the news, not that it ever was to me.

Lastly, an old coworker of mine's husband died of the "widowmaker" heart attack yesterday morning at age 59.

Again, with the exception of my son, I'm so lucky this wasn't my immediate family. But I just woke up this morning and thinking of all of it, immediately felt so down. I generally feel pretty happy. Life always could be worse and I'm so thankful that I don't have to deal with something like Hurricane Ian after effects. My friend's sister in law who was supposed to come up next week for her daughter's wedding has been devasted by the hurricane. She mentally doesn't know how she's going to make it through. So I know I'm very lucky, but sometimes life just deals some depressing news.

I totally understand how you feel - I’ve had moments like this myself.
Brighter days are ahead.
Take care, hugs and God Bless! :hug:

Thank. I'm just grateful that it's really mild to no impact for me. I just feel worse for everyone else involved.

I hear you. In the last 2 months, 2 friends of mine have had their husbands die in sudden, tragic ways. Both were in their early 50s, with kids. It's really jarring when you hear those stories and know that people you care about are going through something so unimaginable.

Sorry for your rough patch. You have had quite a few things pile on top of each other. Definitely normal to feel a little melancholy after those things. Especially if you are a very empathetic person (I fall into that category too.)

:hug:

That’s a lot to deal with.

Sunday my son’s friend’s sister was in a car accident. She’s in critical condition. I can’t stop thinking about her family.

You are compassionate, which is why this is all affecting you so much.

That is A LOT. you are entitled to feel down and overwhelmed. I hope you can find some time for yourself and just breathe :-(

So sad to hear you are struggling right now, if that happened to one of my children it would totally take the wind out of me.

Yes, your son is fine but nothing can upend parents faster than a bad thing happening to a child, lots of things flash at once and they linger. You start off talking about your son and end talking about your son too so it seems this is really the thing on you mind. It sounds to me like your son being hit by a car with his dog got amplified by other recent deaths of people close to you and is echoed by other people losing dogs so now all these events blended into a big mashup of worry and feelings. It's ok to feel bad even if other people have worse situations, life is not a thing where only the worst off get to feel sad, it's ok to let yourself be upset :hug:. Maybe if you try to literally write out each event and list your feelings you will be able to untie the knot, if not seek out support because what happened to your son is very significant.

Hugs to you. That is a whole lot and your feelings of grief and overwhelm are valid. I hope you take some time to yourself to unwind, reflect, etc. I am glad your son is ok, and I hope the missing pooch finds its way back to those that love it most ❤️

Thanks everyone! With all that stuff going on, right now (per usual) I am so upset for the poor dog that's missing. But that's just me. I've got a huge soft spot for animals that would overtake me if I let it. I can't stop worrying about the dog and worrying about the owners who are clearly devastated. The dog is lost in Baltimore so none of us are close enough now to be there everyday to do what needs to be done. The owners are trying their best to get there as much as possible now that their leave time is over. Just a really bad situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter