• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Not So Fab Four on the Disney Fantasy...Complete

tmarie

Mouseketeer
Hello! Although I rarely comment, I love reading everyone's trip reports and decided to do one of my own. I am very new to this so I hope that I do it right.:)

First and most important, the introductions:

My name is Tiffany and I love to plan, plan & plan! These boards are so helpful and I am truly grateful! We are from Las Vegas and live about a 4 hour drive from Disneyland. We try to get there two times a year as we absolutely LOVE it! We have never been to Disney World (GASP!) but given the choice, our girls would rather cruise.

My DH is Jim and he loves Disney too, especially Star Wars. He wasn't too sure about the cruises a few years ago but now he says they are the best vacations ever! (Smart man, right?)

Our DD Austyn is 12 and loves all things Disney and all things Harry Potter. She is really into the history of Disney as well as the trivia too - she is always teaching us something new.

Completing our family is our 9 year old DD Camryn. Camryn is very adventurous and loves roller coasters and the aqua duck, of course!
FullSizeRender.jpg

This will be our third Disney cruise. We cruised the Mexican Riviera in 2011 on the Wonder. It was a great first cruise, however I will say that we were clueless. I had never read the Disboards and didn't really do any research. We had a wonderful time but now we have SO much more information and are so much more prepared. Our second cruise was on the Disney Fantasy in December 2014 - a Merrytime Cruise! This was such an amazing cruise - the one that got us totally addicted to DCL! While on this cruise we booked a place holder and after much thought and discussion, we decided on the Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy, August 13th - 20th, 2016. Our ports of call will be Tortola, St. Thomas and the always amazing Castaway Cay. Now.....let's start the report!

We left Las Vegas on Thursday August 11th via Southwest Airlines, my personal favorite. Our flight departed at 8:35am and we connected flights in New Orleans. It was raining in New Orleans, but not hard - boy were we ever lucky.....just a day or two afterwards was when Louisiana got hit hard. Just another reason to never travel on the day you board the ship. We arrived in Orlando safe and sound at 6:00pm, grabbed our luggage and checked into the Hyatt MCO. After getting settled, we went to the food court in the airport for dinner. We don't have Chick-Fil-A in Vegas, so this was a much anticipated dinner! After our yummy dinner, we walked around and looked at a few of the shops before heading back to the room. Couldn't have asked for a smoother travel day.:)

Attachments

• XYIU6097 (1).jpg
    XYIU6097 (1).jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 54
Friday August 12th - Today we got up early and took a cab from MCO to Universal Studios. According to Austyn, our mission was to check out everything Harry Potter. Today was her special day and we were along for the ride. To say she was excited would be an understatement! We arrived at the park at 8:30am and a super nice cast member (is that what they're called here??) allowed us to enter the park with the early morning crowd. We went straight to Olivander's and Austyn was chosen for the show - she had dreamt about this moment!! I couldn't have been more happy for her! She had her new willow unicorn hair wand in her hand before 9:00am! Camryn decided that she wanted a wand too. They both got interactive wands - this made for a day filled with uncovering exciting magic spells around the park. We went on the Harry Potter rides at both parks and UGH :sick: didn't feel well after a few of them. Although we walked through several areas of the park (Jurassic Park, Dr. Seuss, Simpsons) there was a lot we didn't get to see. There was a nice rain storm about 4:00pm that only lasted about an hour but it felt great and really cooled us down. We knew there was a chance for rain so we came prepared with ponchos and flip flops - no wet, squeeky tennis shoes for us...LOL! The girls had the absolute best day but I couldn't help but miss the magic of Disney! We left Universal when it closed at 10:00pm and took Uber back to MCO. The cost for Uber was $19 - a great deal! That was my first time using Uber and it worked out great. (Uber cannot pick up at MCO so that is why we took a taxi in the morning) After getting back to the Hyatt, we showered, packed and dreamt happy dreams about the day we had been waiting for - for over 500 days!
Next Up.....Embarkation Day!!!!

Looking forward to reading your report! We are taking our 2nd cruise on the Fantasy in April and while we planned a lot for the first, I feel like there was a lot we didn't get to!

Can you share which of the Harry Potter rides made you feel yucky? We will be going soon and want to be prepared!

Looking forward to reading your report! We are taking our 2nd cruise on the Fantasy in April and while we planned a lot for the first, I feel like there was a lot we didn't get to!
Thanks for joining in! I bet you just can't wait for April to get here!! You are going to have the most magical time!!

Can you share which of the Harry Potter rides made you feel yucky? We will be going soon and want to be prepared!
Hi! Thanks for following along. The kids absolutely loved these rides and went on them more than once - it's us old folks that weren't feeling to well after the rides. The two rides that got us queasy
were The Dragon Challenge and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. If you're family likes Harry Potter, you're going to have a wonderful time - my girls are Dying to go back!!!

Hi! Thanks for following along. The kids absolutely loved these rides and went on them more than once - it's us old folks that weren't feeling to well after the rides. The two rides that got us queasy
were The Dragon Challenge and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. If you're family likes Harry Potter, you're going to have a wonderful time - my girls are Dying to go back!!!

Thanks for the feedback! Our whole family LOVES HP so we are really looking forward to our visit in October. My husband and I tend to get queasy on motion simulator rides so I am glad I know to expect it ahead of time. I'm glad your kids weren't affected. I can't wait to read the rest of your TR.

IMG_1077.JPG

OH HAPPY DAY!!!! We woke up sleepy from our day at Universal but SO excited! Today was our special day!! One of the nice conveniences about staying at the Hyatt is that the Hyatt removes the luggage from your room and the next time you see it is when it arrives at your stateroom door on the ship. We got ready, left our bags & a tip by the door so the Hyatt & Disney could perform their magic and we headed downstairs to the Magical Express - after stopping at Starbucks, of course. We were on the second bus out of MCO, departing at 9:25am. You could feel the excitement on the bus as we pulled into the port at 10:10am!! The port was just about empty which was perfect for us. We were immediately checked in and got boarding group number 3. Every 6 months the coast guard does drills on the ship and today was one of those days. Due to this, the cast members that can check the kids in for the clubs didn't get into the port until 11:15ish. The line was SOOOOOO long - luckily for us we were about 20th in line so it didn't take long. You can do this on the ship as well but since we were just standing around the port, it was nice to get it done. They started boarding the boat a little later than normal due to the coast guard drills - about 12:00pm. They called our group pretty quickly and before we knew it we were making that magical walk to the ship.

IMG_1074.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG IMG_1075.JPG

That moment when they welcome you on the ship gets me teary eyed every time....it is such a magical moment! I don't for one moment take for granted how blessed we are to take these vacations and create these memories for our girls. We are so truly blessed!

Soon after boarding we headed to Cabanas for lunch which wasn't crowded at all. After lunch we went and checked out the kids clubs and then ran into Camryn's very favorite character in the lobby. He was so cute welcoming families on the ship.

IMG_2797.jpg

We walked around the ship a little more and headed to our stateroom (7558) at 2:00pm. We relaxed and waited for our luggage that never came and headed to the muster drill at 4:00pm inside the Walt Disney Theater. This was quick, easy and painless. Now it's time for the Sail Away party - this is always so much fun! The cast members do such a great job of getting everyone excited for the fun week ahead.....and of course we can't have a sail away without one of these!

IMG_3237.JPG

Did you know that if you bring your cup back with you the next time you want a drink, they only charge $5?? (They just exchange your cup for a new one) As you can imagine, my DCL cup was always with me when we were at the pool.:flower:We waited for the ship to leave port and waved to our family back home watching on the webcam. Time to turn off the cell phones and emails and escape from the world for a week.....ahhhh:boat:

We had early dinner and it was time to get going. We stopped by the room and our luggage was just arriving. We put the bags in the room and headed to Royal Court. We were at table 95 which is in a separate little room on the left side of the restaurant. We had a table by ourselves but we were so close to some of the neighboring tables that by the end of the week we had become friends with most of them. We met our Amazing servers for the week - Elvin from Honduras and Satya from Indonesia. They took such great care of us....I seriously wanted to bring them home with us.

After dinner, Jim and I unpacked and watched our first sunset of the week.
IMG_2807.JPG

The girls attempted to go swimming but got denied due to lightening in the area. With the lightening came two beautiful rainbows.

IMG_2805.JPG

Austyn then went to "Ice Breakers" at the Edge and Jim, Camryn and I went to the D Lounge to watch a fun game of "Family Fusion." Our tradition on the cruise is to order milk and cookies from room service before bedtime and that's exactly what we did. Our bellies were full and our hearts were happy as the rocking of the boat drifted us off into a blissful nights sleep.

Last edited:
Enjoying your report so far.
I love your shirts. We are big Cubs fans. May I ask where did you get them from?

Enjoying your report so far.
I love your shirts. We are big Cubs fans. May I ask where did you get them from?

Hi! Thanks for following along. We are HUGE Cubs fans (Go Cubs Go) at our house and these shirts combined two of our favorite things - Disney and the Cubs! I ordered them few months ago at www.exitees.com. I just went to their website and it looks like they are still available. Happy Shopping:)

Loving your trip report! Wonderful pictures. Thank you so much for sharing.
My sister and I will be going on the Fantasy this November; our first cruise ever - so excited. :goodvibes

Loving your trip report! Wonderful pictures. Thank you so much for sharing.
My sister and I will be going on the Fantasy this November; our first cruise ever - so excited. :goodvibes

Thanks for following along! I bet you are SOOOOOOOO excited!! You are going to have the most amazing vacation!:duck:

Following! We went on the same cruise in February - 6 months later and definitely time to re-live it as we wait 6 more months until our Magic cruise! Loving the report so far!

Following!:) We'll be on the Fantasy next year for a Merrytime cruise! We're so excited even though it's so far away!

Following! We went on the same cruise in February - 6 months later and definitely time to re-live it as we wait 6 more months until our Magic cruise! Loving the report so far!

Hi and thanks for following along. I hope you had as much fun on your cruise as I did on mine!! We haven't been on the Magic yet.........you are going to have so much fun! 6 months will go by fast - before you know it you'll be on the ship!:sunny:

Following!:) We'll be on the Fantasy next year for a Merrytime cruise! We're so excited even though it's so far away!

Hi! Thanks so much for following along. You are going to LOVE the Merrytime cruise - it is such a magical vacation! I'm not sure if you know this, but Shutters can print Christmas cards for you. We did that when we went on our Merrytime Cruise - I felt it was so easy,convenient and reasonably priced too. I'm so excited for you!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter