The Official 2013 Wine and Dine Half Marathon Thread

I am! I'm not doing wdw January but ill be at Tink in January and then princess in feb. can't wait!!!

Yay! You are so lucky you get to do Tink!! I'd love a coast to coast medal, it just isn't in the budget right now. I can't believe I am doing Princess. It was a really a spur of the moment sign-up with a friend who wanted to do it. Now, she's pregnant and deferring but I still figure I should do it now. I have a few other friends sharing a room with me who are running the 5k. But half-marathon morning is going to be early and lonely.

Well, it's been a little over a week and I can say that I was pleasantly surprised by the Wine & Dine Half Marathon. My wife and one of her friends finished in 2:23:20 and 2:24:00 respectively and with "robo" knee and not being able to train for roughly 2 months before the race I finished in 2:44:38.

A few things I noticed that were interesting. Running through DHS before you get to the path to the boardwalk we ran by the trash compactor area. Needless to say you didn't see anyone walking in that area. Haha. Do they really check your times from previous races to assign your corral? I only ask because I passed a bunch of people that started in corrals that started well before mine (corral L). I understand that a lot of people took pictures with the characters during the run but I was amazed to see as many people from corrals C, D, E, and F that I had passed a long the way since corral L didn't even get on the course until about 20+ minutes after corral A had started.

All in all it we had a blast. We are glad we got to participate in such a fun event and look forward to another Run Disney event in the future.

Well, it's been a little over a week and I can say that I was pleasantly surprised by the Wine & Dine Half Marathon. My wife and one of her friends finished in 2:23:20 and 2:24:00 respectively and with "robo" knee and not being able to train for roughly 2 months before the race I finished in 2:44:38.

A few things I noticed that were interesting. Running through DHS before you get to the path to the boardwalk we ran by the trash compactor area. Needless to say you didn't see anyone walking in that area. Haha. Do they really check your times from previous races to assign your corral? I only ask because I passed a bunch of people that started in corrals that started well before mine (corral L). I understand that a lot of people took pictures with the characters during the run but I was amazed to see as many people from corrals C, D, E, and F that I had passed a long the way since corral L didn't even get on the course until about 20+ minutes after corral A had started.

All in all it we had a blast. We are glad we got to participate in such a fun event and look forward to another Run Disney event in the future.

I wondered that very early on. Before the race started in the Corral I saw a pace group sign. I was excited by this because my phone wasn't working so I didn't have any means of intervals or pace. Well I was in Corral F which is supposed to be <2:30 pace according to the signs at the Expo. The Sign said Galloway Pace group 2-1 intervals finish time 3:00. I had no idea how that made sense in the Corral we were in. Needless to say I didn't go up and introduce myself and attempt to run with them. I do wish I'd have made more of an effort to find someone to run with and go with their intervals because trying to count them/watch my watch made for an interesting challenge.

With the new rules about proof of time, this shouldn't be as much of a problem going forward. I was toward the front of Corral D and saw four older women at the back of Corral C (1:55 - 2:00 finishers) that I am fairly confident could never have finished the race that fast. They walked right from the start, which is their prerogative (although they shouldn't have been walking four-abreast).

On the other hand, I finished the Wine & Dine about 40 minutes slower than the 2:06 time I submitted (which I ran in September) because I stopped for every character and spent a few minutes at the Osborne Lights taking pictures and soaking it in. Even so, I was passing people from Corrals A, B and C by the finish.

I am! I'm not doing wdw January but ill be at Tink in January and then princess in feb. can't wait!!!

Me too! I'm sort of in shock that I'm traveling that much for running, but am so so excited to try Disney all on my own!

I'm taking a few weeks off from running right now and focusing on getting my Achilles healthy, building strength, and doing lots of cross training. Right now my goal is to be back on the road by December 9th. That means I won't be ready to really race Tink, but I plan on pushing the hell out of the 10K! Maybe Princess will be better, but really, I'm training for a late April full, so these races really are just for fun.

taratru said:
Me too! I'm sort of in shock that I'm traveling that much for running, but am so so excited to try Disney all on my own!

I'm taking a few weeks off from running right now and focusing on getting my Achilles healthy, building strength, and doing lots of cross training. Right now my goal is to be back on the road by December 9th. That means I won't be ready to really race Tink, but I plan on pushing the hell out of the 10K! Maybe Princess will be better, but really, I'm training for a late April full, so these races really are just for fun.

I know! And I wish I could travel even more. Kappyfamily talked about her RnR Vegas race last weekend on another thread and that one is on my bucketlist. As is one of the MCM races (definitely not the full). I even want to do the shamrock marathon weekend in VA beach in march but no way can I swing that right after tink and princess. Maybe next year!

Yay! You are so lucky you get to do Tink!! I'd love a coast to coast medal, it just isn't in the budget right now. I can't believe I am doing Princess. It was a really a spur of the moment sign-up with a friend who wanted to do it. Now, she's pregnant and deferring but I still figure I should do it now. I have a few other friends sharing a room with me who are running the 5k. But half-marathon morning is going to be early and lonely.

How can you be lonely with 17,000 friends ? (or whatever number it is). I just did W&D and I did it all on my own and I had a blast. I am running with some friends for the 10k and marathon and the 10k and Princess and am actually nervous! :confused3:lmao: I am so used to running on my own I won't know what to do when running with someone else. If you need someone to run with, just let me know! :thumbsup2

Oh this just made me laugh so hard!!! You so passed me! :lmao::lmao::rotfl2: I was in corral F. I finished in 3:04, 40 minutes worse than my best time. But to me, Disney was all about fun and characters. I took over 100 pictures. I only got in 1 character line (I dressed up as Vanellope and I had to get my picture with Ralph and actually had to go through twice because the first picture on my camera was not good). But I am happy with that. To me, local races are for time, Disney is for fun! Congrats on your time!!!!! :thumbsup2

Do they really check your times from previous races to assign your corral? I only ask because I passed a bunch of people that started in corrals that started well before mine (corral L). I understand that a lot of people took pictures with the characters during the run but I was amazed to see as many people from corrals C, D, E, and F that I had passed a long the way since corral L didn't even get on the course until about 20+ minutes after corral A had started.

I'm wondering how many of the slower folks in the faster corrals bought their bibs second-hand. That would be one explanation.

I was assigned corral K but I brought in my 10K time from September and I got moved up to corral G. I got lucky with the 10K because, even though it was a certified, chip-timed race, I somehow managed to miss a loop of the course (completely unintentional) and ended up finishing in 1:10:07. That was my "official" time, but my Garmin showed I had only gone 5.8 miles. When DH and I returned home, we downloaded my Garmin and then his and we saw where I missed the loop. I was mad that it happened, but the course was not well marked and even DH said he would have missed that loop too if there hadn't been someone there to direct him. I was the second-to-last person to finish so I'm guessing that the "guide" had already left their post when I came through. I lucked out because it was about 6 minutes better than any other 10K split I've ever done. Since it was the only official 10K I ran, it was the only one I had to submit. Lucky me!

Here is my Disney Wine & Dine Half-Marathon Race Recap.

I figured that I'd type it out b/c it was an experience-and-a-half! Warning - it is LONG. I also wrote this for my friends/family who have no clue what Run Disney is all about. Sorry for that.

Sidenote : I first started running in May 2013. I ran my first 10k with a time of 55:36 on June 30, 2013. I ran my 2nd 10k on 9/29 with a time of 50:42. The Disney Wine & Dine half-marathon took place on Satuday, 11/9/2013 at 10pm.

I was able to use my Great Race 10k time to attain at Corral B start. (I was originally in D.) My Sister-in-Law had a Corral C assignment. So, I opted to start with her in the C corral. I was quite nervous. It helped to have a buddy to start with. In my first 2 races, I'd started FASTER than I wanted to (7:25-7:35 min/mile avg pace). I know that I cannot sustain that level of pace for 13 miles. My goal for the start of this race was to not go out like a speedy gonzales. I'm told that Run Disney did stagger their corral starts a little more this race than in their prior races, which is a GOOD THING. We got to the launch area pretty early because all of the shuttles stopped running by 8pm. We had loads of time to kill. We pretty much sat in the grassy areas until it was time to move into the corrals. We waited for porta-potties at least 3 times. (nerves). I didn't mind. It gave us something to do. There were lots of costumed runners to look at. There was even an engagement. The DJ kept everyone bubbly. I think that he played "What does the fox say" about 4 times. I know that I was ready to run away....very far away....after that!!!

We moved into the Corral and I have to say that there wasn't really a place for me to stretch my achilles like I'd like to stretch them pre-race. It ended up being OK, but gosh, I kept looking for a tree or a pole for me to lean against. I was using my SIL to as best as I could for a shoulder to lean against...but it isn't the same. I couldn't get my full pre-run stretch in. 15-minutes pre-run, I Clif-blocked. :)

10pm and the first set of fireworks went off. Corral A was off!

10:02; another set of fireworks. Corral B. (the cool thing is that you always knew that a Corral was going b/c there were fireworks)* Is it our turn yet?

10:04. And we're off. I have to say, that for about 1:20 seconds....I did try to keep my sister-in-law within eyesight. I did. I looked over my shoulders and kept trying to see if she was back there. But then I was like....I can't do this. I think that we had different goals. I mean, you're trying to get around people, and trying to keep someone else in your eyeshot...behind you...in the dark...not entirely sure that they're keeping your pace. Nearly impossible. I didn't even tell her that I was going to take off. I just went. In the end, she stopped for as many characters as she could squeeze in. She enjoyed every minute of her race - and that is a GREAT thing. I enjoyed every second of my race, too....I stopped when I could. But I went for a goal, too. I guess I should mention my goal. At the start of my sign-up, my lofty goal was to go under 2 hours. 1:59:59. I did do a training run of 13.1 miles. I ran that in perfect conditions at 1:55:09. I figured that I should tie that time. So, I suppose 1:55:00 was my goal going into the race, but keeping my ear to my splits, I needed to have 9:00 or under splits to have the 1:59:59.

Back to the race. When I left my sister-in-law...I was Gone. I never looked back again. I mean, I wondered if she was going to be back there/around me. I logged just SLIGHTLY under 400 miles of pavement training for this race...I wanted to see what I was made of. So, I started weaving in/out of the crowd. Nothing too dangerous. Nothing too rude. Every so often, I'd hear the fireworks releasing another corral. Boy, I was glad to be on the course. My GPS tracker of choice is Map My Run. It was pretty spot-on for mile-one. I felt awesome at the mile 1 marker - split was 8:14. I was really happy with that. I didn't go out too fast!!! I do carry water with me b/c I trained carrying water, the humidity for the race is pretty high, I can carry items in my water bottle, and it is sort of my safety net. I don't think that I took a sip at all during mile 1 though, I DID use it periodically through the rest of the race...but never used the whole thing. I also didn't utilize the first water station. I just ran though. Mile 1 started in the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex and headed towards Disney's Animal Kingdom Park. Mile 2 was along the roadways. One thing that sort of bothered me is that the roadways were a tad bit dark. I did notice in one particular dark passageway, a gentleman jumped into the middle of the barrier. Not sure what that was about. Perhaps he had to use the facilities? Perhaps he was just hanging out in the brush. I have no clue. It bugged me. I digress. By this point, I had little or no issues with crowds. I did sort of have running buddies that I'd keep myself surrounded with/try to pace myself with. I also saw a couple of good friends along the side of the roadway in one HIGHLY-lit area.....THE DISNEY COUNTRY BEARS. I was not yet ready to stop for a smile with them though. Mile 2 was a breeze at 7:54. I'll take it.* I remember seeing a big screen TV playing old Mickey Mouse movies.* Very cool!* GREAT scenery - well done Disney!!!

Between mile 2 and 3, we entered the Animal Kingdom Park area. One thing is that they stressed that we not trip on the traffic speed bumps. It was nice that there were lots of Disney employees around to help the runners see the road obstacles. Though, there are a couple of uneven road spots that I could see myself twisting an ankle in. (turned out to be a non-issue...no spills/falls/twists/turns like I'd had in the Great Race!) I ALSO noted that you will run through the 10k marker on your path out of Animal Kingdom. Wow - that is a lot of mileage under your feet in this area! I secretly wondered how in the heck one might get all of that mileage. I guess I'd soon find out! --- Mile 3 split 8:22 min/mile.

You do kind of have to wind through parking lots in the Animal Kindgom area. They have some fun stuff - a few characters. I think that there were dancing hippos from Fantasia to pose with. (I chose not to). Then the fun started. Once you got close to Animal Kingdom, you saw the GORGEOUS large Chrismtas tree all lit-up at the entrance to AK park! It was so pretty. I know that I started getting all sorts of happy at this stage of the game. And into the park I went! The HAPPINESS SET IN and all tiredness I may have been experiencing immediately went out the door. As soon as you entered the park, they had these large illuminated tusks lighting the pathway. I wish that I could have stopped and photographed everything. It was just themed for "Animal Kingdom" and the night-race feeling. I can't say that I remember everything about AK. I saw a photo stop for Pluto with a holiday backdrop that was crowded.* I did not stop.* However, I did stop for a photo with Baloo the bear at mile 3.7 or so. (according to my super slowed-pace on Map My Run.) Speaking of...I also know that my mile marker would come due on my GPS a little before the official mile markers. I'd try to then SPRINT to the official mile markers to sort of 'make up' for lost time. I'd also try to sprint back to my 'pack' after any character stops. I tried, anyway. Mile 4 split: 8:27 min/mile.

This brought me heading around the back of Everest to Dinosaur and then back out of Animal Kingdom. Mile 5 split 8:20 min/mile. I know that it was humid and whatnot. I also know that I was starting to take advantage of hydration stations. I choked on water at least once. I accidentally took the power ade at my very first stop. I guess it is watered-down power ade. I didn't train with it, but what is done is done. I'd already drank some. It wasn't bad, and didn't seem to give me stomach cramps or other ailments. To be safe, I thought in my mind that I'd try to find water at the next stops. Somewhere at this point, I did stop at the Captain Jack Sparrow photo spot. For this particular stop, I turned around and ran in the backwards direction and probably cut-in-line accidentally to get the photo. Captain Jack said "its a race to get to me" b/c there were runners coming from my side and then from the regular way that you'd approach him as well. OOPS. I got the pic and ran away quickly. I liked the photo ops, but didn't like stopping. I tried getting out of the stops as quickly as I could.

After mile 5, and more circling through the parking lots. we began leaving Disney's Animal Kingdom. I saw that there were 2 stilted-lighted figures. Sebastian from the Little Mermaid was one of them. I can't remember what the other one was. They were lovely, though! Mile 6 split : 8:28 min/mile. I was starting to notice, though, that my Map My Run splits were coming much more quickly than the mile markers. UGH. Not long after this, I crossed the 10k point! Just about 1/2-way there! I believe that this is where I started breaking out the Clif bloks/Gatorade gel thingies I had stashed on me.

I have to say that this was where the race was starting to get tougher. This was where I started needing to dig deeper. I remember hearing a few of my songs on my iPod that I needed to hear My Songs Know ... (Light 'Em Up) - Fall Out Boy, Circle of Life from the Lion King Musical. Some Katie Perry song that Meggie loves. Christmas Eve in Sarajevo by Trans Siberian Orchestra. Just a few songs that keep me going. They were well-timed in the shuffled Playlist. Mile 7 split 8:28 min/mile. What is interesting about this part of the race is that you are literally passing other runners on the OTHER side of the roadways*who are on their 2nd mile or so. It is kind of humbling. My sister-in-law told me after the race that she even saw some runners being swept off of the course. (as an aside, I noticed myself passing a couple of runners on my side of the road that were really out of shape and really-really-really slow. I wondered, secretly, if they passed over the center line in an attempt to avoid the sweepers - the Disney folks who sweep you back to Epcot without your Medal if you don't mantain the 16:00/mile pace requirement? With this dark race in some spots, it seemed possible to cross that center line. Hmmm. Is the bling worth missing this awesome race through some of the parks? Makes you wonder?) Anyway, I believe between Mile 7 and Mile 8 was right around where 'the hill' was. Everyone was talking about the "green army man" from Toy Story warning his soldiers to head that hill, but that "hill" didn't bother me. The hill that "bothered me" didn't even really bother me. I just took it in stride. I'm happy that I trained where and how I trained. I was ready for everything that this race put in front of me, except for the humidity and decorative smoke features within the race course, but even that really was OK. Mile 8 split 8:34 min/mile.

Between mile 8 and mile 9 was where they gave you the Clif gu. I took it, well, I took 2 - Mocha & Raspberry. I couldn't see a darned thing. I was looking for strawberry. But, I ended up not using theirs b/c I didn't know if I could tolerate either of those flavors and chose to stay with what I knew and stashed them in my pouch. (At 45 minutes into the race, I started using my own Clif blocks or Gatorade gels block things. That was good enough for me. I didn't need what the race provided and I was worried that it'd upset my stomach.) BUT, at this stage of the game, I did use the watered-down power ade at about every other stop. On to the green army man 'hill'. This was more of a mole-hill. I'm not sure what the big deal was. Maybe it was a joke? I don't get it. It was really NOT a hill. Mile 9 split: 8:35 min/mile.

Heading into Hollywood Studios now. The parks are really the best part of these races! You enter HS through the back of the park - near the Tower of Terror. I kind of liked that you got to see the park through a different view, albeit a darker one! I still don't even know what access road we used to get in there! Then we ran down Sunset Boulevard to around where the Toy Story area is. I stopped for my final photo stop - Buzz and Woody! Mile 10 split - 8:16 min/mile. This is where it must get all scenic on me! I mean - only 3 miles left!!! 3 miles is a typical lunch-time run. I could do this in my sleep. OMG. I'm so there!!!!!!

Next we go into the backlot area. Now, I gotta say that there is a section of this race that just about gagged me/made me physically unable to BREATHE. There is a costume tunnel part of the Backlot Tour that they turned into a disco-ball-party for the race. It was AWFUL. There is a misty smokey steam that they fill this tunnel with. It was meant to be fun and party-like, but to me, it was just horrid. I felt all choked up and claustrophobic in there. It had to have made other runners feel sick, too. Worst part of the race for me....though it looked neat! I came out of the tunnel and told a Disney employee - "The smoke in there -- I can't breathe." Luckily I took a few deep breaths and kept right on trucking. After the tunnel came the Lights/Motor/Action area then the area that I was WAITING for --- the Streets of America for my FAVORITE-FAVORITE-FAVORITE part of the race. The Osbourne Spectacle of Dancing Christmas Lights are illuminated. They are gorgeous. One of the things that I was most excited to see with my family in Disney World this vacation - and I was getting to see them first-hand, in low-crowd-levels. AMAZING! I actually told a Disney employee that they are so LUCKY to get to work there as I ran past her. It seemed like I was just flying by the other runners in this section. Several were snapping photos, so perhaps this was why! I don't know if it was because they were just slowing down to take it all in or WHAT. It did seem like I was going super-fast. Next-thing I knew, I was over by Indiana Jones (small hill there!) and on my way outta Hollywood Studios. I do believe I saw Darth Vader hanging out in there somewhere. Boy, THAT was a surprisingly long line! Wreck it Ralph was posing for shots in the Studios, too. No time to stop for him, either! Mile 11 split - 8:45 min/mile. (must have been the scenery)

After this, we ran through these boardwalk-like areas of the Yacht and Beach clubs. I've never been in these areas. But there were a lot of people there with signs/goodies - cheering you on. It was really nice. Some of the signs were cutesy/funny! I took it all in stride. I was waving and just all around happy. I was more than almost there. Great signs, happy people. It was a really great part of the race. It felt like I had all of these friends that I'd never met before - there just ChEARing me on! I know that some complained that this spot of the race isn't wide enough. I was in a relatively empty part of the pack. I can't really complain about it feeling too tight. Everyone running was very polite. While I was feeling tired/sore, I was almost there. Mile 12 split: 8:54 min/mile. STILL UNDER 9:00/mile! Again, I noted that my mile and the mile markers are getting quite far apart. I tried to sprint as best as I could between them. Reaching deep down at this point.

Here we are. HOME stretch. Heading into EPCOT! Wow. Amazing. All this work. I've been watching the time on the mile markers. I know that I'm going to finish with a CLOCK time under 1:59:59. I know that since I started in corral C, I can take at least 4 minutes off of the clock time, probably more because I was a good bit to the rear of that Corral C pack. I'm feeling pretty giddy at this point. I'm going to meet my goal of under 2 hours for sure!

I'm pushing as hard as I can. The song that comes onto my iPod is ironically a Turbofire song. (Boom I got your Boyfriend) That is what got me back in shape in the first place. How cool, right? I can see the golf ball and I hear my 13 mile marker tell me I'm at 13 miles. Split: 8:29 min/mile. Good. I know it cannot possibly be much further. I'm running. As hard as I can push myself. I round a corner and I can see that this race is almost done. I actually ask a volunteer "am I almost done???" I have no clue his response. LOL. I round the corner and there it is. The finish. I notice that it is me and another gal. And we're "On like Donkey Kong". We're neck and neck going to the finish line. Seriously, a race. I had no clue that people do this at races. But wait??? What do I hear. O.M.Goodness. I hear over the loudspeaker something along the lines of "And here is Leslie XXX from XXX, PA. She's from Corral B. We haven't had many finishers just yet from Corral B. Goooo Leslie." WOWZA. (do they realize that while I'm officially Corral B, I actually started this race in Corral C!) In the meantime. I'm jumping at the sound of my name. And I do something else that makes me happier than happy. I high five the mouse, and his gal. Yup, I high fived Mickey and Minnie. Having worked as a volunteer at the finish line for a Run Disney half-marathon once before, I know that they don't announce finishers once the finish line becomes too congested. I feel so fortunate that I was able to finish and hear my name before that congestion happened because that was a WAY COOL experience.

Now, my finish-line coolness was about to get cooler. I get stopped first by the medic b/c he thinks that I'm sick. No, I'm not sick. I'm just shocked & happy. Once he is sure that I'm Ok (whatever), off to the medal guy I go. I get my bling - I about hug him...then I head to the water/banana/goodie box station. I start walking a little further. I still have my headphones in listening to my tunes. I realize that I hear my name. Well, what do you know. My best friend of 23 years has come to the finish line with her mom to celebrate my race. She just made it in time, too! What a special memory! AWESOME!

My GPS running stats:
Map My Run mile 13.40 split 8.10 min/mile
Map My Run entire race stats - 13.39 miles. 1:53:44. 8:29 min/mile.
Fairly close. I must have weaved in/out a little too often!

Official Race Stats - 13.10 miles. net time - 1:53:27. clock time - 1:57:37. 8:40 min/mile.
Overall Place - 665 of 12143 finishers.
Age Division Place (females 35-39) - 43 out of 1343
Gender Place - 208 out of 8049

Oh...and the Sister-in-Law. She finished 18 minutes after I did with a time of approximately 2:11. She saw loads of characters and had a magnificent time! (though her ankle is not feeling the best after the race) After she came through the finish line, we got our official race pics in front of a backdrop and then we got out free glass of wine. I actually brought mine home b/c it was just too cutely packaged to drink! Unfortunately, my sister-in-law's baby was a little under the weather and we couldn't stay for the after-party in Epcot. I was on cloud-9 anyway! And the baby is all-good now, no worries!

What next? Who knows?...family time, I suppose. I do believe that I'm hanging up my RACING shoes for the moment and enjoying running for running's sake. I don't want to run to train for a little while. Besides, it is awfully cold now in PA and running outside is not nearly as pleasant as it once had been.

If you've made it this far - thanks for reading & supporting me in this journey since I signed-up for the race last May!!

Oh this just made me laugh so hard!!! You so passed me! :lmao::lmao::rotfl2: I was in corral F. I finished in 3:04, 40 minutes worse than my best time. But to me, Disney was all about fun and characters. I took over 100 pictures. I only got in 1 character line (I dressed up as Vanellope and I had to get my picture with Ralph and actually had to go through twice because the first picture on my camera was not good). But I am happy with that. To me, local races are for time, Disney is for fun! Congrats on your time!!!!! :thumbsup2

Thanks. :) I stopped for some pictures along the way too. Got a few good ones and one with Ralph also. My niece is a huge Wreck it Ralph fan. She loved seeing them. You are correct about the local races are for time and Disney races are for fun. I was just shocked by seeing so many people from the different corrals. We did have a blast though and will more than likely run next year if my knee can hold out. Pretty sure I have a partial tear of something now. :lmao:

Great post, Sully&Mike! Thanks for sharing! I have to say the race seems like a big blur to me now, so reading this was a wonderful recap. You reminded me of some things I forgot. ;)

I really want to do this again, to try to remember more (I don't really remember crossing the finish line, LOL!), but I'm not sure if it will work for next year. I want our kids to come and do the 5K with us in the morning but they aren't really into this idea. :rolleyes:

Thanks. :) I stopped for some pictures along the way too. Got a few good ones and one with Ralph also. My niece is a huge Wreck it Ralph fan. She loved seeing them. You are correct about the local races are for time and Disney races are for fun. I was just shocked by seeing so many people from the different corrals. We did have a blast though and will more than likely run next year if my knee can hold out. Pretty sure I have a partial tear of something now. :lmao:

I'm sure you passed me too. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if i didn't see you as I looked longingly at all the runners passing me by. I was in Corral F (but my bib actually said H with an orange F sticker - i brought my proof of time to the expo). Normally I could have finished in 2:30 (appropriate for my corral), but ended up finishing in 3:22. I was having a very unexpected very bad run and then decided to wait in line for characters to try to salvage what I could of the experience.

So here's part one of my week recap to Wine and Dine, not so much a lot about the race but the events leading up to it, for those who're interested.

Pre-Race Recap

I'll recap the race itself either today or tomorrow. :thumbsup2

Totally enjoyed the half!

I found it somewhat humid, but nowhere as brutal as the TOT 2012! -

Had great time chatting to various people in the field beforehand (lol, mostly in the potty lineups!) and then in the corral waiting the start.

I had intended to keep a long slv with me/tied to my waist for the run, but found it superwarm as I went to drop off my bag, so put the long slv in the checked bag as well...................and promptly cooled off when I moved away from all those superlights lighting the bag check area! doh!
Was chilly waiting in the corral!

(Next up is the Dopey, and I definitely plan to pick up some throw away clothing from Value Village to keep with me in the corral!)

It was so awesome running thru the parks, and I know I stopped in my tracks when I saw the Osbourne Lights! (I moved off the course to gape for a few minutes!)

I inadvertently snorted water from the cup just before entering AK, which resulted in a nosebleed -- just packed it with a bit of TP, and kept going!

I was glad that the runners were a bit spaced out as we left AK, because I was able to navigate the puddle/lake caused by the faulty sprinkler on the road! As a prev poster said, that would have been a recipe for blisters!

Loved that we got to run thru most of DHS (and I enjoyed the Disco tunnel! Shake your groove thing by Peaches & Herb! Haven't heard that since high school!)

I took time to stretch, and then went to the change tents to get cleaned up & dry clothing on. Headed in to EPCOT, but just did Soaring before I headed back to the resort - lol, I noticed EVERY foot I could see dangling was wearing a sneaker!

Wore my medal the whole next day, but gotta say, it was heavy and somewhat uncomfortable! But WOO HOO! It was some fun!

Congrats to all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter