*** The Official August 2018 Thread*** - let's have some fun....

Any other first week of August folks starting the packing process?

We don't start our trip until the 16th of August, and we have already started packing some stuff. Not a lot, as we are wearing most of the clothes we will take with us, but stuff we don't need right now. I packed my bathing suit, and I bought a package of new socks, so they all were packed already. Likewise, I bought new underwear, and have packed them as well.

I am also working on my lists of stuff that I have packed, and stuff that I need to get.

Any other first week of August folks starting the packing process?
My stuff has pretty much not been put away since last august. I just resort the pile by my bookshelf in my bedroom, print the new reservations/FP etc and tuck them into trip folder. The good thing about that is all my ziplocks with sunscreen, hair spray etc are already to go. Had to replenish stuff after our trip to Chicago last week. This trip is also easier as the younger two kids aren't coming with us.

Anyone not on the plan purchased the mug for their trip?
I do this for longer trips when we stay at a resort convenient to use them. Contemplating dining plan this time, but if not then I will get a mug for me. I use them at home for travel mugs too!

I booked 1900 Park faire, too; I think the character interactions there look fun.
LOVE this place-really love the breakfast! Twice this year for breakfast (including for my birthday) with just this past June with the grandson for his first Disney trip!

second pair of shoes for the second half of the day
Ummm I take like 4 pairs of shoes? At least 2 different park sandals, pair of tennis shoes "walkers" and at least one pair of flip flops (ok ok so this last trip I took 6 pairs-but we were gone for 2 weeks and we drove!LOL) I really find switching out shoes makes a huge difference in how my feet feel.

Can't even pack my swim suit and towels yet as we are heading to lake the next two weekends.

Booked Jiko for anniversary dinner, but now rethinking of going less expensive-CM's are getting an absolutely amazing deal on Wild Africa Trek- if she has day off while we are there and before my AP runs out think we will do this instead!

I have had my pop up hamper out for the last couple months and throw things in there for the trip. Laundry sheets (we do laundry every couple days while at the pool). Cooling towels, fans, hats, ponchos. I will be pulling our Disney attire out of the closets in another week or two. My kids have enough shirts that I can pack those for the trip and they will still have plenty. I probably can get away with packing tanks for me, too.

We got my son some fishermen sandals tonight. Told him he needs to wear them every day to break them in.

Ummm I take like 4 pairs of shoes? At least 2 different park sandals, pair of tennis shoes "walkers" and at least one pair of flip flops (ok ok so this last trip I took 6 pairs-but we were gone for 2 weeks and we drove!LOL) I really find switching out shoes makes a huge difference in how my feet feel.

Booked Jiko for anniversary dinner, but now rethinking of going less expensive-CM's are getting an absolutely amazing deal on Wild Africa Trek- if she has day off while we are there and before my AP runs out think we will do this instead!
I usually take a pair of park shoes and a pair of shoes for when we go down to the pool. We drive but 28 pairs of shoes in the car might be a bit much :laughing: . Will try to find a happy medium. DH does not learn from his mistakes and wants to buy shoes at the outlet while we are down there.

Wild Africa Trek sounds fun, hope it works out and you guys get to try it!

We got my son some fishermen sandals tonight. Told him he needs to wear them every day to break them in.
I tried to break my shoes in last weekend and learned I might hate them :scratchin Need to keep looking I guess.

How do you guys pack hats without them getting too smashed? My son loves to wear hats, mostly the fedora style ones, but they get bent out of shape so easily. Maybe have him wear one on the plane and pack an extra in his under seat bag? What do you all think?

I’ve been thinking about packing. When we went to UO it was hot hot hot and we definitely needed to change to go back out after our mid day break. We were so sweaty and wet and so were our tees/shorts.

Two sets of clothes a day let us feel human. We are doing a split stay and I think I’ll do laundry before moving to our second resort, to cut down on how much we are bringing. Still, that’s a lot of clothes, though not taking up too much space, given the nature of the clothes.

I want to start packing SO bad right now, but it's still over a month away. Instead, I make lists of what I want to pack. We also do roughly 2 sets of clothes a day, or at least pack a few extra tops and underwear. It doesn't take up much space like you mention because it's mostly tank tops, tees, etc.

We will each have a pair of flip flops for the pools and evenings back at the parks. We first tried this at UO and it felt nice in the late afternoons / evenings when we are not go-go-go to be in flips.

I live in my Teva Olowahus - have never had any issues.

We are pretty light on table service this time. Part of my enjoyment of that is enjoying it with DH and he is not coming (he really does not like WDW - sad tears).

But we do have BoG as I love the west wing as a cool dark and funky respite, and I have a few others like an on-my-own breakfast at ale and compass while the kids are on the Pirate Cruise Adventure. I booked 1900 Park faire, too; I think the character interactions there look fun.

My kids loved the Pirate Cruise Adventure when they did it in 2013, now, sadly, they have both outgrown it. 1900 Park Fair was OK food wise (dinner), but the step sisters... they are a blast.

How do you guys pack hats without them getting too smashed? My son loves to wear hats, mostly the fedora style ones, but they get bent out of shape so easily. Maybe have him wear one on the plane and pack an extra in his under seat bag? What do you all think?

Can you stack them in one corner of his carry-on? My son will have multiple hats; but his are baseball cap style. I usually just attach them to his carry-on. He takes about 4 or 5.

Can you stack them in one corner of his carry-on? My son will have multiple hats; but his are baseball cap style. I usually just attach them to his carry-on. He takes about 4 or 5.
I could probably do that! I didn't think about attaching baseball style ones to the outside! That is a really good idea!

I am packing two outfits a day, making sure we have a second pair of shoes for the second half of the day makes sense too - good idea!

I have never done a dessert party, adds up quickly with our crew. They look like fun though!

Yes, we've always had the flip flops for the pool, but this last trip was the first time we used them in the parks. It was good for us, as it allowed us to not care about afternoon rain and we felt cooler with our feet "free" - ha... It didn't seem to bother our feet, which was what i was concerned about by not wearing sneakers. We were also more relaxed and moving more slowly.

We are doing the Star Wars dessert party on the 21st, the HEA dessert party on the 23rd and MNSSHP on the 28th! We are not actually big dessert people but we typically go to DL instead of WDW so we are going all out on this trip. I’m not sure when we are going to be back on the east coast, flights are long and expensive so we are making the most of this trip.

Does anyone else have BOG prix fixe dinner booked? I cannot wait to see the final menu!

Have fun! Ours is early in our trip so we will miss you there; we are also doing the MNSSHP, but first night - 8/17 - yikes! We won't be there for the next ones, so this was our only shot, and i'm taking it...

Wow, the Wild Africa Trek sounds AMAZING! Good luck in your decision!

Multiple shoes are really the way to go! What park sandals do you have? I bought a pair of Teva Sandals, but the straps over my little toe just will not break in; i think it's because the sole is so stiff. I was thinking i could put bandaids on my toes, but i'm concerned that won't last long in the heat and humidity (and/or rain). These are the ones I have.

I want to start packing SO bad right now, but it's still over a month away. Instead, I make lists of what I want to pack. We also do roughly 2 sets of clothes a day, or at least pack a few extra tops and underwear. It doesn't take up much space like you mention because it's mostly tank tops, tees, etc.

I live in my Teva Olowahus - have never had any issues.

My kids loved the Pirate Cruise Adventure when they did it in 2013, now, sadly, they have both outgrown it. 1900 Park Fair was OK food wise (dinner), but the step sisters... they are a blast.

I did also buy a pair of the Olowahus - i love them, too. It took me awhile to get used to cushy part, balancing, but once i broke them in they are great! I love the side support from the straps. I also have a pair of the Sanuk Yoga Mat flops, and I'm bringing both.

Yes, my kids love the Pirate Cruise Adventure - my son especially. He's 12, and this is the last time we can do it for him. I was a bit worried he'd find it too young the last time (this will be our third time), but he adored it. There was a good mix of ages the last time, about 3 or so who were around 11/12. I think he fancies himself an assistant cap'n, ha! We did the one at GF the first time, and the last time and this time it's at Yacht/Beach. I thought the Yacht/Beach one was extremely well done last year - the captain and the assistant were really into it and running around and shouting about finding the loot and giving it their all before getting on the boat. My younger one likes it too, but not as much as my eldest..

Excited about 1900 Park Fair - we will be at breakfast so will miss the sisters, bummer! I am looking forward to the Mad Hatter, though.

I always start packing early, because there are a lot of things we only use in Disney, it is easy to get some of the stuff packed a month, or more ahead of time, which leaves less to deal with just before the trip.

We use a Google Doc to organize everything about our trip, which includes our packing lists. We use the same doc every year, so we have a list of everything we packed the previous year to work from, and can update it as necessary.

For shoes, I usually have 3 pair. I generally have 2 pair of sneakers. They are the same sneakers, just one pair is an old pair, what ever I happen to have and be wearing daily when it is time for the trip, then I usually have a brand new pair that I buy specifically for the trip, and only wear a bit at home to break them in before we go. My third pair are Teva sandals.

Instead of band aids to ease the pain from a sandal strap that won't break in, how about mole skin? In my experience, it holds up better against rain, and sweat, than a band aid would.

I always start packing early, because there are a lot of things we only use in Disney, it is easy to get some of the stuff packed a month, or more ahead of time, which leaves less to deal with just before the trip.

We use a Google Doc to organize everything about our trip, which includes our packing lists. We use the same doc every year, so we have a list of everything we packed the previous year to work from, and can update it as necessary.

For shoes, I usually have 3 pair. I generally have 2 pair of sneakers. They are the same sneakers, just one pair is an old pair, what ever I happen to have and be wearing daily when it is time for the trip, then I usually have a brand new pair that I buy specifically for the trip, and only wear a bit at home to break them in before we go. My third pair are Teva sandals.

Instead of band aids to ease the pain from a sandal strap that won't break in, how about mole skin? In my experience, it holds up better against rain, and sweat, than a band aid would.

Thanks, I have some of that, I’ll test it out.

Not counting water shoes, my children and I will have 3 pairs of shoes each. We will each have a pair of slides. My daughter and I will likely wear our slides with socks for travel and pack a pair of sneakers and a 3rd pair of shoes in luggage. Slides make it easier getting through security. My son is 8 so he'll wear his sneakers for the plane and I'll pack his slides and flip flops. He rotates between sneakers and slides in the parks and wears flip flops to and from the resort pool and around the resort in general. My daughter will pack her sneakers and two pair of flip flops. One pair of flip flops are the comfortable kind she can wear in the parks. The others are the Wal-Mart $2.00 ones she can wear back and forth to the resort pool or in a downpour.

I always mean to buy Keens or Teva brand shoes for Disney; but I hear they take a while to break in and usually by the time I think of it, it is too close to the trip. My 3rd pair of shoes are crocs. They are good for rainy days.

Not counting water shoes, my children and I will have 3 pairs of shoes each. We will each have a pair of slides. My daughter and I will likely wear our slides with socks for travel and pack a pair of sneakers and a 3rd pair of shoes in luggage. Slides make it easier getting through security. My son is 8 so he'll wear his sneakers for the plane and I'll pack his slides and flip flops. He rotates between sneakers and slides in the parks and wears flip flops to and from the resort pool and around the resort in general. My daughter will pack her sneakers and two pair of flip flops. One pair of flip flops are the comfortable kind she can wear in the parks. The others are the Wal-Mart $2.00 ones she can wear back and forth to the resort pool or in a downpour.

I always mean to buy Keens or Teva brand shoes for Disney; but I hear they take a while to break in and usually by the time I think of it, it is too close to the trip. My 3rd pair of shoes are crocs. They are good for rainy days.

What kind of water shoes do you bring? Do you only bring those for the water parks?

Multiple shoes are really the way to go! What park sandals do you have? I bought a pair of Teva Sandals, but the straps over my little toe just will not break in; i think it's because the sole is so stiff. I was thinking i could put bandaids on my toes, but i'm concerned that won't last long in the heat and humidity (and/or rain).
I have disney Mickey crocs (bought off a friend who bought them her last trip and hated them-They work well for me!), and a pair of bearclaw sandals, I also have very well work Clark sandals (actually 2 pair). Haven't been able to find the exact style of my clarks which are my favorite, then I have a pair of sketcher walker type sneakers.

how about mole skin?
Was going to suggest this. I know where the "hot spots" are on my feet so I will cut the moleskin pre trip for those spots. I also have blister bandaids if needed.
However-the best way I have found to save my feet is to walk alot! in the shoes prior to trip.

What kind of water shoes do you bring? Do you only bring those for the water parks?

Yes, they are for water park use. The first link are the ones my daughter and I have. The 2nd link are the ones my 8 year-old will use.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01DGSJ...olid=23OFZUD2ZHEM6&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B073GZH...olid=23OFZUD2ZHEM6&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I also have a water sock I use at the resort pool. My children like their feet out in the pool; but I like mine covered so I slip these on and then put on my slides or crocs for the walk to and from the room. That link is below.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CGN45XF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter