• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*** The Official August 2019 thread ***

When you realize that canceling a spring break trip to DC because of surgery means that your DH will have excess vacations days, what's the logical course? To extend your August Disney trip of course! Yay for Southwest flights being easy to change, annual passes mean we don't need more park days, and the newest round of Passholder discounts making it down right reasonable to stay an extra day!

Has anyone attended one of the fireworks parties at Magic Kingdom? We never have; but since my mom is coming with us this trip I was thinking of booking one. Last year we ended up in a spot where we could not sit and wait for the show to start. Our feet were literally burning by the time we waited, watched the show, then made the trek to the bus stop and got on a bus back to the resort. Although I will give my mom the option of touring in a wheelchair, we're also a bit...um...vertically challenged as a family. I had to get kind of creative to make sure my son could see last year and it would be nice not to have to deal with so many people.

This is my mom's first trip and I think it would be a nice treat. My fear is purchasing it (since it has to be paid in advance) and having the fireworks cancelled due to weather.

Also, for the party on Tomorrow Land Terrace do people remain seated or crowd the railing defeating the purpose? Is the view still good if your table isn't on the edge?

Has anyone attended one of the fireworks parties at Magic Kingdom? We never have; but since my mom is coming with us this trip I was thinking of booking one. Last year we ended up in a spot where we could not sit and wait for the show to start. Our feet were literally burning by the time we waited, watched the show, then made the trek to the bus stop and got on a bus back to the resort. Although I will give my mom the option of touring in a wheelchair, we're also a bit...um...vertically challenged as a family. I had to get kind of creative to make sure my son could see last year and it would be nice not to have to deal with so many people.

This is my mom's first trip and I think it would be a nice treat. My fear is purchasing it (since it has to be paid in advance) and having the fireworks cancelled due to weather.

Also, for the party on Tomorrow Land Terrace do people remain seated or crowd the railing defeating the purpose? Is the view still good if your table isn't on the edge?

I've done both the garden and terrace parties.

For the terrace party you do remain at your table. There are tables along the railing.

Although many reviewers say all the tables have a good view, my experience is no, they don't. If you are in the second row, not on the rail, your vision is partially obstructed by the roof of the building and the trees. My kids and husband didn't care because they weren't very interested in the fireworks. I hated it. I did want to see the show. I got up and moved out of the party area.

The garden view is 100% better, but you don't have a chair in the viewing area. Many people sit before the show, but stand when it starts.

All this being said...we booked the terrace party again because the rest of my crew like sitting down eating and half watching the show. Unless we snag a table on the rail, I know I'll be getting up and finding somewhere else to be to watch the show.

I said I wouldn't, but once they announced a new fireworks show for the MNSSHP, I decided to get the plaza viewing fireworks dessert party. Guessing it might be busier than usual? My dad is coming and although there are no seats, I'm thinking the space and ability to sit on the lawn beforehand would be nice. Really excited to attend our first MNSSHP. @123SA can you tell me about the seating for the dessert party? I've done the terrace dessert party before (normal MK night) but do we get to sit down at the dessert area before we go to the plaza viewing? I hope we don't have to stand while we enjoy our desserts. TIA

I said I wouldn't, but once they announced a new fireworks show for the MNSSHP, I decided to get the plaza viewing fireworks dessert party. Guessing it might be busier than usual? My dad is coming and although there are no seats, I'm thinking the space and ability to sit on the lawn beforehand would be nice. Really excited to attend our first MNSSHP. @123SA can you tell me about the seating for the dessert party? I've done the terrace dessert party before (normal MK night) but do we get to sit down at the dessert area before we go to the plaza viewing? I hope we don't have to stand while we enjoy our desserts. TIA

Yes, you will have a table in the dessert party. It's on your right as you check in, while the terrace party is to the left. From what I remember, we were a party of 5 and we had our own table. I don't remember ... I think the host or hostess walked us to a table. The tables were a bit cramped, and it was pretty loud, much like a counter service restaurant. You can eat as much as you want and you can take food with you to the garden.

I had originally booked the terrace party on Aug 16, but I switched to the garden party because the new show will probably have lots of projections and I want to actually see them. (We'll do the terrace party for the regular MK fireworks on 8/4)

Yes, you will have a table in the dessert party. It's on your right as you check in, while the terrace party is to the left. From what I remember, we were a party of 5 and we had our own table. I don't remember ... I think the host or hostess walked us to a table. The tables were a bit cramped, and it was pretty loud, much like a counter service restaurant. You can eat as much as you want and you can take food with you to the garden.

I had originally booked the terrace party on Aug 16, but I switched to the garden party because the new show will probably have lots of projections and I want to actually see them. (We'll do the terrace party for the regular MK fireworks on 8/4)
Thank you very much! This explanation really helps:-)

Congrats! I made my final payment today as well.

Very cool! We did MNSSHP last year, but it rained for quite a bit at the end of the regular day, and beginning of the party. As a result, they didn't have the headless horseman ride for the beginning of the parade, and the grave diggers shovels were far less impressive than usual on the wet pavement, so I am very much looking forward to another opportunity to see the parade. New fireworks are of course welcome. The live actors in Pirates were awesome last year, so I'm hoping that they do that again this year.

So...I've been super busy the past few weeks and haven't really processed what the opening of SWGE during our trip (8/24-8/31) is going to be like for my family of 4. Now it's hitting me and I'm starting to feel anxious about it all. I specifically picked the last week of August bc of lower crowds. We have always pulled our kids out of school, but now my oldest is going into middle school, so we decided to try going during summer vacation. The idea was if we were going to fry in the Florida sun, it would beat frying AND waiting in long lines, since the crowds were supposed to be the lowest that week. We already booked our flights and purchased Universal park tickets ,as we are also doing 2 nights at Universal on 8/27 and 8/28, returning to WDW the 29th. We can't change our trip (can we?)
I'm just feeling really disappointed. I hate crowds. HATE. I guess I'm on here looking for the silver lining. Someone please help talk me off the ledge. I'm ready to cancel my trip.

Last edited:
So...I've been super busy the past few weeks and haven't really processed what the opening of SWGE during our trip (8/24-8/31) is going to be like for my family of 4. Now it's hitting me and I'm starting to feel anxious about it all. I specifically picked the last week of August bc of lower crowds. We have always pulled our kids out of school, but now my oldest is going into middle school, so we decided to try going during summer vacation. The idea was if we were going to fry in the Florida sun, it would beat frying AND waiting in long lines, since the crowds were supposed to be the lowest that week. We already booked our flights and purchased Universal park tickets ,as we are also doing 2 nights at Universal on 8/26 and 8/27, returning to WDW the 28th. We can't change our trip (can we?)
I'm just feeling really disappointed. I hate crowds. HATE. I guess I'm on here looking for the silver lining. Someone please help talk me off the ledge. I'm ready to cancel my trip.

I think it will be fine, honestly! I think till 27 or so it won’t be to crowded and people may start to show up 27 but honestly i would just roll with it. My trip is 22-29th, so I feel you!

But if your really worried can you do universal 29/30 and all Disney before?

So...I've been super busy the past few weeks and haven't really processed what the opening of SWGE during our trip (8/24-8/31) is going to be like for my family of 4. Now it's hitting me and I'm starting to feel anxious about it all. I specifically picked the last week of August bc of lower crowds. We have always pulled our kids out of school, but now my oldest is going into middle school, so we decided to try going during summer vacation. The idea was if we were going to fry in the Florida sun, it would beat frying AND waiting in long lines, since the crowds were supposed to be the lowest that week. We already booked our flights and purchased Universal park tickets ,as we are also doing 2 nights at Universal on 8/27 and 8/28, returning to WDW the 29th. We can't change our trip (can we?)
We will be at WDW the same dates as you, Aug 24-31st, and not expecting big crowds at all except the very last couple of days of August. Even then I think it will mostly be at DHS and maybe Epcot for the opening of Food and Wine. Disney just released a resort discount for dates through August 28th and they wouldn't have done that if rooms were all booked up.

I think our plans are finally coming together! Staying at CSR
8/7 4pm arrival. MK has EMH until 11pm so we'll head there after dinner, FP: 7D, Space, Buzz
8/8 Pick up rental car at Disney Car Care, lunch at Toothsome Chocolate Emporium? (we LOVED it there 3 years ago, might take this opportunity to go back!), Target/Grocery, pick up credentials for DIS, head to DS for VOID, amphicar, dinner at Homecomin', Moonlight Magic at AK
8/9 Sleep in - Typhoon Lagoon around 11, dinner at CSR, head to Epcot for Soarin' etc if we're still awake - FP Soarin', Spaceship Earth, Land
8/10 Sleep in - HS late afternoon, dinner at Mama Melrose, Fantasmic, then DIS Party at AK! FP - Slinky, Frozen, Fantasmic
8/11 Sleep. Return car (have them drop us at CR) 12:45 brunch at California grill, MK, 7pm dinner at Plaza
8/12 Home

I know it seems like a ton of food - but other than CG Brunch (must try!!) it's all menu so I'll just order an app if I'm not hungry and DD11 always wants a kids meal anyway. DS14 eats all the food, all the time, and DH needs TS and A/C to survive. Basically no mornings that anyone has to be awake before 10am and no parks until late afternoon/evening. Moonlight Magic and the DIS Party are the main plans for this trip - plus Typhoon Lagoon (first time for the waterparks!). Anything else is bonus - third trip on our APs (4th for me)!

Wow, just saw that Touring Plans lowered the crowd estimates for all my days in early August. A little less crowds will be nice since we are dealing with the heat. :daisy:

I don't have a subscription to touring plans but we are there the same week as you so I'm glad to hear this!

I don't have a subscription to touring plans but we are there the same week as you so I'm glad to hear this!

I saw this too for the week of the 19th to the 24th. All of the parks except HS pretty much stay in the 1-3 range. HS though goes from a 1 on the 20th to a 9 on the 24th!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter