The OFFICIAL December 2014 - Christmas Magic

Hi Disboards peeps! I am new to Disboards and super excited to announce that me and 9 other family members will be braving Walt's house from December 23rd through January 1st of 2014. We were lucky enough to get a FD pin code for POFQ so this will be a first time for this resort and Christmas week!:cool1: We have been many times before but still scared of the crowds! So my question for all of you Christmas veterans is this...If we plan on going into the parks at night (7PM or so and staying very late), will the crowds be manageable then or is it still complete chaos????:confused3 Thanks again and I am so happy to finally be apart of the Disboards family!

Hello There!

Booked December 4th - 12th :FIRST TIMERS: :Honeymoon:

My fiance and I will be headed out for our first WDW trip and after sailing away on Disney Dream for our first cruise. I've started creating brochure itinerary's to keep me organized with must dos, reservations and all that.

Hi Disboards peeps! I am new to Disboards and super excited to announce that me and 9 other family members will be braving Walt's house from December 23rd through January 1st of 2014. We were lucky enough to get a FD pin code for POFQ so this will be a first time for this resort and Christmas week!:cool1: We have been many times before but still scared of the crowds! So my question for all of you Christmas veterans is this...If we plan on going into the parks at night (7PM or so and staying very late), will the crowds be manageable then or is it still complete chaos????:confused3 Thanks again and I am so happy to finally be apart of the Disboards family!

My wife and I have been at WDW five of the last six years. The crowds are huge; the weather can be unpredictable and changeable; the prices are extra expensive. That said we plan to be at WDW every Christmas until we can not travel at all. Our trick is to be flexible but to plan. We follow much of the advice found on the boards but also realize we may not be able to do everything at each park. We use park hoppers especially going to MK which is often open late with EMH. We do not go back to our resort for a break but rather spend a very leisurely TS meal or rest in the parks. The crowds are thinned out by nighttime and since MK is often open to 1 am or later it can almost be lonely. Epcot and HS are also open late but not as late or as often as MK. AK is another story but has been open as late as 9 pm. Just decide what is your absolute musts and plan for those; look at the rest as extra good things that happen but don't fret if you can not do everything even if you planned perfectly. Remember that there are many ways to tour the parks--- we don't do the thrill rides, but spend a lot of time and dollars on signature meals, but that's our way and not for all. Commando park planners would consider our planning a waste of precious time, but it works for us. We say to each his own!

We just booked with FD and upgraded to DxDDP. I'm in the middle of planning :cool1:. We have been to WDW mainly in the summer and never Christmas. Our dates are Dec. 23-Jan. 1. I'm wondering about leaving and returning to the parks or hopping to another park for FP+ and or ADR's.

I know that there is a possibility of the parks closing due to capacity that week. I'm trying to find out if that is for every day of that week or just Dec. 24, 25, and 31?

Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!
In the past, the Magic Kingdom, at least, has reached some level of capacity on other days.

The parks close in phases, and Magic Kingdom closes first. When I was there a few years ago, they were already deterring people from the MK at around 1pm on New Years Eve (e.g verbal: MK is closed). I expect it was what is widely known as a Phase 2 closure, because when we expressed that my brother was marching in the parade at 3, they indicated that we could get in if we took Disney transportation. That was the only day we ran into issues, and it was during my pre-DIS phase, so we didn't get anywhere before rope drop.
Epcot is the least likely to close, and Disney resort guests are "guaranteed" that they'll be able to get into A park, but not necessarily the park of their choice.
Also, after they reach capacity they adopt a "one out, one in" procedure, and resort guests get priority entrance in those cases.

Our current plan has us arriving on the 28th, and if I plan on anywhere for New Year's Eve, it will be Epcot. I've been at the Magic Kingdom before on New Year's Eve and I was a bit underwhelmed. We'll probably plan on an early night, and hit a park full force first thing in the morning, when everyone else is sleeping. My kids don't let me sleep past 6am (7am in FL) anyways.

Joining in the fun, too!

We're headed back this year, after taking our daughter on her first WDW vacation last November. We had such a great time that we're throwing caution (and plans to wait till our newborn son is 3) to the wind and going again in December. I don't know if we're nuts or fun taking a 4-year-old and an infant (he'll be almost 11 months) to WDW, but I'm going for fun... :)

WHEN: December 17-21
WHERE: Port Orleans French Quarter
WHO: DH, DD4, DSbaby, myself
MORE: w/free dining

I think I'd prefer to travel Dec. 3-7 for crowd levels, so if a RO discount comes out for those dates I'll probably switch. We did a bunch of princess meals last year, so the free dining - while nice for character meals - is less important to me than crowds, especially with an infant.

Don't worry, whichever boat you're in, I'm there with you, except I'm planning on braving Holiday crowds. DS will be 4, and DD will be 10 months.

As for POFQ, I recommend requesting close to the elevator or a ground floor room. The first room they sent us to, when we stayed there last year, was about as far as possible from the elevator in building 1. I know POFQ is tiny, but there's something depressing to me about walking the entire length of a building to get to the elevators, then walking all the way back to get your room with a stroller (or the short time we had the rental car, carrying a 2 year old). I had much less difficulty with the walk to Barbados 13 at CBR. They moved us to building 4, right next to the elevator, and it was awesome.

My wife and I have been at WDW five of the last six years. The crowds are huge; the weather can be unpredictable and changeable; the prices are extra expensive. That said we plan to be at WDW every Christmas until we can not travel at all. Our trick is to be flexible but to plan. We follow much of the advice found on the boards but also realize we may not be able to do everything at each park. We use park hoppers especially going to MK which is often open late with EMH. We do not go back to our resort for a break but rather spend a very leisurely TS meal or rest in the parks. The crowds are thinned out by nighttime and since MK is often open to 1 am or later it can almost be lonely. Epcot and HS are also open late but not as late or as often as MK. AK is another story but has been open as late as 9 pm. Just decide what is your absolute musts and plan for those; look at the rest as extra good things that happen but don't fret if you can not do everything even if you planned perfectly. Remember that there are many ways to tour the parks--- we don't do the thrill rides, but spend a lot of time and dollars on signature meals, but that's our way and not for all. Commando park planners would consider our planning a waste of precious time, but it works for us. We say to each his own!

Great advice!

Thought I would share.

Dis member Rob, is truly a Disney lover and writes quite well. I'm going to try to give you the link to a small part of his TR.

Day 4 - April 30, 2013 Part 5 - TR TITLE REVEAL

You also may want to read his more recent TR, from Christmas time last year. "ENCHANTED TALES with ROB".

Hope everyone is having a magical day!:thumbsup2

It's hotter then :furious: here in So. Cal and it's May! Ugh!

:cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

WDW at Christmas !!!

Dec 20th to 27th BW
Dec 27th to Jan 1st HRH Universal
Jan 1st to 10th BC

Can't wait

WDW at Christmas !!!

Dec 20th to 27th BW
Dec 27th to Jan 1st HRH Universal
Jan 1st to 10th BC

Can't wait

You are going to be at WDW for 21 days! That has to be some kind of record! :worship:

Lucky ducky!

My DH, teen son and I will be visiting Dec 5 - 14, only 9 days. I love it so much, I never want to leave when the vacation is over. :(

Just booked for dh & 2ds (11) & (4) for 12/18 -12/27 going tō try to keep it a secret..which will be hard!
This will be the 3rd trip for the 4 & the 10th for the 11 year old.
So excited!!!

Just booked for dh & 2ds (11) & (4) for 12/18 -12/27 going tō try to keep it a secret..which will be hard! This will be the 3rd trip for the 4 & the 10th for the 11 year old. So excited!!!

Yay!! Good luck keeping the secret!

We are booked on a Bounceback at POFQ Dec. 11-21. This is the first time we have taken two trips to Disney in the same calendar year so we are really excited. Plus we invited my mother along since she has not been in almost 15 years and she has never seen Disney all decorated for Christmas and we can't wait to show her.

Just booked for dh & 2ds (11) & (4) for 12/18 -12/27 going tō try to keep it a secret..which will be hard!
This will be the 3rd trip for the 4 & the 10th for the 11 year old.
So excited!!!

I'm jealous, I'm 50, and will be doing my 4th world trip Dec 5th! Lucky ducky kiddos!

Does anyone know how they count your posts on the board? It says I have 139 posts and it doesn't ever seem to change. Hummm. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter