The Official VILLAS at DISNEYLAND HOTEL (Discovery Tower) Owners and Fans Info Thread

So I got a call from someone at the hotel this morning regarding my "not so magical" experiences this week. She wanted to know what she could do to make it magical. Maybe if you'd contacted me 3 days ago when I first emailed you, you could've made me happier, but waiting until I'm literally 30 minutes from leaving the resort doesn't give you many options.

After explaining the issues, she didn't seem particular surprised. She did at least apologize. When I asked about MBs, her answer was odd. She said that they don't have that capability right now and blamed it on the City of Anaheim. What? She did say they're working on it. Not sure how much I believe that, but we'll see.

We have to work with a small city for wifi to one of our units. It's actually crazy. You think I'd just be able to put in a wifi hot spot so to speak but I have to work with the city's infrastructure to carry the bandwidth/electrical and router interference to operate.

I imagine it's like trying to open a small airport next to the city's international airport. Only so much airspace and all the logistics in the world trying to keep it all from crashing into each other.

After explaining the issues, she didn't seem particular surprised. She did at least apologize. When I asked about MBs, her answer was odd. She said that they don't have that capability right now and blamed it on the City of Anaheim. What? She did say they're working on it. Not sure how much I believe that, but we'll see.
Anaheim has some regulations going into affect regarding hotel worker safety, room access, etc. It may or may not have something to do with that getting rolled out. Basically (and I haven't really read into it), the city is requiring that hotel workers who enter rooms alone (housekeeping, primarily) are equipped with an alarm device (some sort of pager or panic button) that can be activated if they are confronted in the room. There are other requirements regarding hotel room access, but I haven't read them all.

Now, using a MB to open a door lock that already opens via RFID (room key) or WiFi (your phone) seems really odd, but there may be some element that's not obvious. Or, it has nothing at all to do with the Anaheim ordnance. I just bring it up because of the timing and the CM blaming the city.

Apologies if this was asked before and I'm not seeing it. What type of coffee makers are in the 1 bedrooms? I tried to determine from a YouTube walkthrough, but couldn't tell what it was.

Apologies if this was asked before and I'm not seeing it. What type of coffee makers are in the 1 bedrooms? I tried to determine from a YouTube walkthrough, but couldn't tell what it was.

Hopefully someone who has stayed there can chime in. I looked at my pictures from the opening weekend open house and it looks like a combo pot and keurig type. So you can do either. But maybe someone can give better info.

Did anybody see Six Flags and Cedar Fair are planning a merger? An all parks season pass would be pricey but could be a great value. Currently I have Cedar Fair all parks season pass with access to Great America and Knotts Berry Farm in California. Six Flags has Discovery Kingdom and Magic Mountain in California so it would be interesting to see how it all pans out. Also, Cedar Fair has Peanuts licensing thru 2025. Six Flags has DC Comics licensing. Very intriguing to see!

Did anybody see Six Flags and Cedar Fair are planning a merger? An all parks season pass would be pricey but could be a great value. Currently I have Cedar Fair all parks season pass with access to Great America and Knotts Berry Farm in California. Six Flags has Discovery Kingdom and Magic Mountain in California so it would be interesting to see how it all pans out. Also, Cedar Fair has Peanuts licensing thru 2025. Six Flags has DC Comics licensing. Very intriguing to see!
I just hope they don’t ruin Knott’s😕

I just hope they don’t ruin Knott’s😕
Agreed. I watched a couple of YouTube videos on this merger and it really seems like more of a cost savings for both companies. Most likely we might not even see a big difference for years to come. Once Great America in Santa Clara shuts down, perhaps they'll move some of those rides to the other locations (?). Maybe this merger will help them generate and use money more efficiently to enhance the parks and experiences like in the announcement. 🤞

https://ir.cedarfair.com/news/news-...-Leading-Amusement-Park-Operator/default.aspx

Just got back from staying in a 1BR for 4 nights. Here's my not-a-trip-report resort/room report, from the perspective of someone whose last ~10 trips to DL have been at VGC.

Arrival
  • Got room text on the drive down, at around 2:20PM. During online check-in I said we'd arrive at 5PM but the plan was more like 7:30PM.
  • GPS navigation (my car's built-in nav uses Google Maps) was set to Villas at Disneyland Hotel and last-mile directions were all sorts of crazy, I just followed posted navigation signs to DL Hotel.
    • When I arrived on the grounds of DL Hotel, nav lost its mind and had me doubling back/forth multiple times but never reaching the resort porte cochere. This will come up again later.
  • Porte cochere was busy, but was able to get bell services to take our bags quickly.
  • Self-parked, huge parking lots but not detached/across the street! An improvement over VGC, in our opinion.
  • A good number of electric plug-in spots, too. I didn't have a need to charge on arrival, so just parked in a normal spot.
  • Went to front desk to get room keys, got the blue "Disneyland Resort" cards, which desperately need to be improved.
  • The wishing star on the walk to the lobby of VDH comes across better in video/pictures. Needs iridescence or something.
  • Lobby of VDH is definitely something less than a lobby. Maybe a large foyer with a great mural and a side room? More than VGC has on its own, though. Easy to find the elevators.
  • Looked around, took a bunch of pictures of the interior. Really liked the room!
  • Called bell services for our luggage. Two things of note:
    1. They really wanted to know if 622 was a 1BR or a 2BR. We didn't press why it mattered, but it sounded like they were filling out a form?
    2. They said they'd be there in 5 minutes, and were! VGC bell services could never...

The Room
  • The 1BR is fantastic. Spacious layout, tons of usable space, great fit/finish.
  • Everything was new and still in great shape. I can see how some corners might not wear great, maybe.
  • Loved the green/purple theme from the Princess and the Frog, just works great. The art is great, especially the art over the bed.
    • Except the giant portrait of Tiana. All portraits kinda creep me out (aren't they supposed to?), but a life-size portrait of a Disney Princess is especially bizarre and creepy to me. Would have loved something like Fantasia's Sorcerer Mickey on the pinnacle from the 2BR. Anyway, mostly tuned out the portrait.
  • Thermostat is next to the fridge, near the front entrance. It's an INCOMM model
    • Instructions to override:
    • But we didn't need to override! Could set it down to 65.
    • There's a motion detector in the bedroom, too.
  • Coffee brewer is a combo drip/K-cup brewer by Keurig that looked decent. I brought my own electric travel kettle and Cometeer capsules, though.
  • The view was very good!
  • Fridge is kinda short? I'm not used to see the top of a fridge. Worked well and held all of our stuff though, no complaints.
  • WARNING: all the opaque cabinets aren't hinged and are not meant to be opened despite the handles! Ask me how I know!
  • Didn't use the range, dishwasher, or washer/dryer, or the foyer storage area.
  • Murphy bed stayed in couch mode the entire trip and was firm but comfortable. I definitely prefer firm sofas, so I liked it.
  • The ottoman portion is movable, and there's two hybrid stools/ottomans, too.
  • Living room and kitchen area is laminate flooring with a rug under the murphy bed.
  • TV in the living room has bias lighting and was a decent 65in Samsung LCD.
    • It took a few restarts and a TV software update for it to show the typical "WELCOME HOME EHH FAMILY!" messaging? Made me wonder when the last time someone had been in this room.
  • There's another individual-sized pullout bed under the TV, I know basically nothing about it, sorry. I only opened it to look for an ethernet port (inconclusive).
  • The bathroom off the living area is nice. We used it as our #2 bathroom.
  • The patio was a good size and the furniture was fine, though kinda dirty.
  • The bedroom is kinda small? It fits a king bed with drawers, a wardrobe-ish, and large end tables just fine though.
  • Bedroom TV I think was the same size and model as the living room TV. It also had bias lighting.
  • The main bathroom is top notch. The layout is wonderful and the fit/finish is nearly as good as Disney can do. The tile art over the tub was beautiful.
    • I am a little concerned about the metal corner pieces and how they'll look in 14 years. I predict: dated.
    • The shower is a good size, but ever so slightly claustrophobic as it's a solid wall on 3 sides and the door is very frosted glass except for the eye-line and above, where the frosting fades.
    • The shower cannot run the rainfall shower head and the handheld at the same time, we tried.
    • Shower temperature got pretty hot, but we could not get it to scalding temps (I guess that's a good thing).
    • The Throne Room, with a similar frosted glass door, is actually less claustrophobic compared to ones at other resorts as the door at least lets light in vs. usually solid doors.
    • The tub is nice, but tall people may find it lacks enough length. Everyone will find it lacks jets.
    • The mirrors are very nice, really like the edge lighting.
    • The only DVC bathroom we've been in that we thought was better was the VGF GV's main bathroom. It's a tiny bit better than the main bathroom from the CCV Cabins.
  • There's USB-A and USB-C plugs everywhere. But we didn't use them.
  • I couldn't find a usable ethernet port anywhere, for the bring-your-own-access point crowd.
  • But it didn't matter, the Wi-Fi was the best Disney Resort Wi-Fi I've ever had, 140mbps+ in both directions on my phone, <10ms ping, reliable.
    • This is SO MUCH better than VGC, which has always had borderline unusable Wi-Fi for me.
  • The bedroom blinds opened from the same side of the room as the head of the bed, so you could open it a little bit and still see out while maintaining privacy.
  • Body lotion bottles were still in both bathrooms.
  • Electrical outlets weren't upside down, like they are at VGC (and everywhere at Grand Cali).

The Oddities and Broken Stuff
  • 2nd bathroom sink faucet leaked slightly when turned to full cold.
  • Odd construction noises on Thursday and Friday during the day. Sounded like air compressor-driven power tools? I guess other rooms still need work.
  • Throne Room door didn't shut properly, the latch plate in the frame stuck out by just ~0.5mm too much and made closing it really difficult.
  • DW insists the toilet in main bathroom was shorter than the one in the #2 bathroom.
  • There aren't enough light switches. As in, one switch controls a lot at once...which sounds great but we had a tough time dialing in the room to be dark-with-just-a-bit-of-light for sleeping. We eventually left the overhead light on in the #2 bathroom and closed the door 75% of the way.
  • Casting to the living room TV broke a couple hours before checkout, turning off/on did not resolve. Turns out what we wanted to watch while eating breakfast and packing was on TV anyway.
  • The microwave clock was not set when we got to the room. We set it but didn't update it after Daylight Saving change.
  • The walk to almost everything is a lot worse than VGC. We focused on maximizing DL Hotel grounds and Downtown Disney.
  • The car chargers in the parking lot are Chargepoint, but the Chargepoint app was oddly inaccurate about their usage? It also didn't charge my account when I charged before leaving.
  • My car's nav (again, using Google Maps) could not deal with the DL Hotel parking lot. We kept trying to set Home as our destination from the porte cochere and the 20min parking and it couldn't figure out a route out of the parking lot. Worked fine once we started nav from the road.

Anyway, I'm sure I've forgotten interesting stuff, AMA!

Just got back from staying in a 1BR for 4 nights. Here's my not-a-trip-report resort/room report, from the perspective of someone whose last ~10 trips to DL have been at VGC.

Arrival
  • Got room text on the drive down, at around 2:20PM. During online check-in I said we'd arrive at 5PM but the plan was more like 7:30PM.
  • GPS navigation (my car's built-in nav uses Google Maps) was set to Villas at Disneyland Hotel and last-mile directions were all sorts of crazy, I just followed posted navigation signs to DL Hotel.
    • When I arrived on the grounds of DL Hotel, nav lost its mind and had me doubling back/forth multiple times but never reaching the resort porte cochere. This will come up again later.
  • Porte cochere was busy, but was able to get bell services to take our bags quickly.
  • Self-parked, huge parking lots but not detached/across the street! An improvement over VGC, in our opinion.
  • A good number of electric plug-in spots, too. I didn't have a need to charge on arrival, so just parked in a normal spot.
  • Went to front desk to get room keys, got the blue "Disneyland Resort" cards, which desperately need to be improved.
  • The wishing star on the walk to the lobby of VDH comes across better in video/pictures. Needs iridescence or something.
  • Lobby of VDH is definitely something less than a lobby. Maybe a large foyer with a great mural and a side room? More than VGC has on its own, though. Easy to find the elevators.
  • Looked around, took a bunch of pictures of the interior. Really liked the room!
  • Called bell services for our luggage. Two things of note:
    1. They really wanted to know if 622 was a 1BR or a 2BR. We didn't press why it mattered, but it sounded like they were filling out a form?
    2. They said they'd be there in 5 minutes, and were! VGC bell services could never...

The Room
  • The 1BR is fantastic. Spacious layout, tons of usable space, great fit/finish.
  • Everything was new and still in great shape. I can see how some corners might not wear great, maybe.
  • Loved the green/purple theme from the Princess and the Frog, just works great. The art is great, especially the art over the bed.
    • Except the giant portrait of Tiana. All portraits kinda creep me out (aren't they supposed to?), but a life-size portrait of a Disney Princess is especially bizarre and creepy to me. Would have loved something like Fantasia's Sorcerer Mickey on the pinnacle from the 2BR. Anyway, mostly tuned out the portrait.
  • Thermostat is next to the fridge, near the front entrance. It's an INCOMM model
    • Instructions to override:
    • But we didn't need to override! Could set it down to 65.
    • There's a motion detector in the bedroom, too.
  • Coffee brewer is a combo drip/K-cup brewer by Keurig that looked decent. I brought my own electric travel kettle and Cometeer capsules, though.
  • The view was very good!
  • Fridge is kinda short? I'm not used to see the top of a fridge. Worked well and held all of our stuff though, no complaints.
  • WARNING: all the opaque cabinets aren't hinged and are not meant to be opened despite the handles! Ask me how I know!
  • Didn't use the range, dishwasher, or washer/dryer, or the foyer storage area.
  • Murphy bed stayed in couch mode the entire trip and was firm but comfortable. I definitely prefer firm sofas, so I liked it.
  • The ottoman portion is movable, and there's two hybrid stools/ottomans, too.
  • Living room and kitchen area is laminate flooring with a rug under the murphy bed.
  • TV in the living room has bias lighting and was a decent 65in Samsung LCD.
    • It took a few restarts and a TV software update for it to show the typical "WELCOME HOME EHH FAMILY!" messaging? Made me wonder when the last time someone had been in this room.
  • There's another individual-sized pullout bed under the TV, I know basically nothing about it, sorry. I only opened it to look for an ethernet port (inconclusive).
  • The bathroom off the living area is nice. We used it as our #2 bathroom.
  • The patio was a good size and the furniture was fine, though kinda dirty.
  • The bedroom is kinda small? It fits a king bed with drawers, a wardrobe-ish, and large end tables just fine though.
  • Bedroom TV I think was the same size and model as the living room TV. It also had bias lighting.
  • The main bathroom is top notch. The layout is wonderful and the fit/finish is nearly as good as Disney can do. The tile art over the tub was beautiful.
    • I am a little concerned about the metal corner pieces and how they'll look in 14 years. I predict: dated.
    • The shower is a good size, but ever so slightly claustrophobic as it's a solid wall on 3 sides and the door is very frosted glass except for the eye-line and above, where the frosting fades.
    • The shower cannot run the rainfall shower head and the handheld at the same time, we tried.
    • Shower temperature got pretty hot, but we could not get it to scalding temps (I guess that's a good thing).
    • The Throne Room, with a similar frosted glass door, is actually less claustrophobic compared to ones at other resorts as the door at least lets light in vs. usually solid doors.
    • The tub is nice, but tall people may find it lacks enough length. Everyone will find it lacks jets.
    • The mirrors are very nice, really like the edge lighting.
    • The only DVC bathroom we've been in that we thought was better was the VGF GV's main bathroom. It's a tiny bit better than the main bathroom from the CCV Cabins.
  • There's USB-A and USB-C plugs everywhere. But we didn't use them.
  • I couldn't find a usable ethernet port anywhere, for the bring-your-own-access point crowd.
  • But it didn't matter, the Wi-Fi was the best Disney Resort Wi-Fi I've ever had, 140mbps+ in both directions on my phone, <10ms ping, reliable.
    • This is SO MUCH better than VGC, which has always had borderline unusable Wi-Fi for me.
  • The bedroom blinds opened from the same side of the room as the head of the bed, so you could open it a little bit and still see out while maintaining privacy.
  • Body lotion bottles were still in both bathrooms.
  • Electrical outlets weren't upside down, like they are at VGC (and everywhere at Grand Cali).

The Oddities and Broken Stuff
  • 2nd bathroom sink faucet leaked slightly when turned to full cold.
  • Odd construction noises on Thursday and Friday during the day. Sounded like air compressor-driven power tools? I guess other rooms still need work.
  • Throne Room door didn't shut properly, the latch plate in the frame stuck out by just ~0.5mm too much and made closing it really difficult.
  • DW insists the toilet in main bathroom was shorter than the one in the #2 bathroom.
  • There aren't enough light switches. As in, one switch controls a lot at once...which sounds great but we had a tough time dialing in the room to be dark-with-just-a-bit-of-light for sleeping. We eventually left the overhead light on in the #2 bathroom and closed the door 75% of the way.
  • Casting to the living room TV broke a couple hours before checkout, turning off/on did not resolve. Turns out what we wanted to watch while eating breakfast and packing was on TV anyway.
  • The microwave clock was not set when we got to the room. We set it but didn't update it after Daylight Saving change.
  • The walk to almost everything is a lot worse than VGC. We focused on maximizing DL Hotel grounds and Downtown Disney.
  • The car chargers in the parking lot are Chargepoint, but the Chargepoint app was oddly inaccurate about their usage? It also didn't charge my account when I charged before leaving.
  • My car's nav (again, using Google Maps) could not deal with the DL Hotel parking lot. We kept trying to set Home as our destination from the porte cochere and the 20min parking and it couldn't figure out a route out of the parking lot. Worked fine once we started nav from the road.

Anyway, I'm sure I've forgotten interesting stuff, AMA!
Thanks for the report! We’re staying in a 1 bedroom in 52 days - sounds like we’ll love it. Hopefully the shower sitch won’t freak me out. Haha

Is there an actual room map? Checking in later and trying to figure out where my room is looking.

We were in a standard studio (room 727). The room faced the HVAC system. (We could still hear the whine from the HVAC fans on the 7th floor.) There was a bath tub in this room.

I wish they had a regular coffee maker in the room.

Edited to add: I'm sure this goes without saying, but check your bill! We received a copy of the bill a couple of days before check out and there was a Resort Parking Charge $40.00, a Parking Transient Occupancy Tax $6.00 and a Parking Tourism Impv Tax $0.80 for each night. When we checked in they were aware we were staying on points, but they coded it in wrong. We were able to go to the front desk at our leisure and have that corrected right away.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention. We did laundry in the beautiful new laundry room.
You have to ask for a card at the front desk in order to operate the machines at no additional cost. (The front desk person wasn’t too familiar with DVC guests staying on points so he had to go to the back and ask for guidance twice.)

I looked for a laundry basket in our studio room, but didn’t see it until after we finished the laundry.

I didn’t see it because it was folded flat for storage. 😁

Attachments

• IMG_7477.jpeg
    IMG_7477.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7476.jpeg
    IMG_7476.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 4

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter