The Official VILLAS at DISNEYLAND HOTEL (Discovery Tower) Owners and Fans Info Thread

Ok What? I am still getting over the fact I have to pay extra tax to stay in a DVC property (I'm pretty sure this is the only property where you have to pay and if I wouldn't have come on this site I would not have known) But now you say the water doesn't work either? What the heck...bad business for Disney!!! I'm thinking of cancelling our one night stay next week.

Why isn't there any info about the tax on the DVC site when you book? And if their water is a problem guests should be notified
You know that post is almost a month old? Others have stayed there since and made no mention of the lack of hot water.

Agreed. I just came on here today and found that out...Honestly I think it's ridiculous for the amount we already pay that the taxes aren't included. I wont probably EVER stay in VDH again. I enjoy VGC and there is no extra fees there
@buddywesley alas there actually is tax for VGC. It's much smaller and it is built into maintenance fees so you don't pay it separately (and don't pay it at all if you aren't using VGC points) but it's there - as well as Aulani as others have pointed out. Florida no. Anaheim and Hawaii you're paying tax. They could have included VDH TOT tax into the maintenance fees like they did for VGC but then those would have been some staggering MF since Disney didn't negotiate them down like they did for VGC.

Ok What? I am still getting over the fact I have to pay extra tax to stay in a DVC property (I'm pretty sure this is the only property where you have to pay and if I wouldn't have come on this site I would not have known) But now you say the water doesn't work either? What the heck...bad business for Disney!!! I'm thinking of cancelling our one night stay next week.

Why isn't there any info about the tax on the DVC site when you book? And if their water is a problem guests should be notified
The tax is clearly mentioned when you book on the DVC site-I don’t own there but just booked and it shows right there.

@buddywesley alas there actually is tax for VGC. It's much smaller and it is built into maintenance fees so you don't pay it separately (and don't pay it at all if you aren't using VGC points) but it's there - as well as Aulani as others have pointed out. Florida no. Anaheim and Hawaii you're paying tax. They could have included VDH TOT tax into the maintenance fees like they did for VGC but then those would have been some staggering MF since Disney didn't negotiate them down like they did for VGC.
Right but I own in Florida but live in CA and stay at VGC all the time and don't pay extra. When you go on vacation at a property you don't expect to have to pay for your stay on top of it. (isn't that the point of owning timeshares? I could find a hotel for a similar amount for some stays in the area) The cost should have been built in like VGC was. Interestingly I did a search and as of Feb 2024 the amount of Tot that Wyndham timeshare charges per night in Anaheim is as follows...
Studio $28.86 1 Bedroom $33.45 2 Bedroom $38.04 3 Bedroom $42.62 2 Bd Presidential $60.98 3 Bd Presidential $70.15 4 Bd Presidential $79.33

The tax is clearly mentioned when you book on the DVC site-I don’t own there but just booked and it shows right there.
Didn't see it. Didn't expect it I guess either...Is what it is at this point. Will make me rethink next trip. I live in Southern California so the drive is about 1-2 hours depending on traffic for me. Not worth it for me personally. Everyone is different.

You guys crack me up about the tax, have you not been on DIS boards for a year? It’s all people EVER talk about concerning VDH. Talk about a dead horse, the complaining/griping is constant.

Will be there in 2 weeks for a week, can’t wait!!
I was pretty clear that I found out about the tax here.
clearly mentioned is an interesting choice of words. Clearly defined? Nah. Clearly disclosed? Not so much. Clearly mentioned? sure, I guess.

Right but I own in Florida but live in CA and stay at VGC all the time and don't pay extra. When you go on vacation at a property you don't expect to have to pay for your stay on top of it. (isn't that the point of owning timeshares? I could find a hotel for a similar amount for some stays in the area) The cost should have been built in like VGC was. Interestingly I did a search and as of Feb 2024 the amount of Tot that Wyndham timeshare charges per night in Anaheim is as follows...
Studio $28.86 1 Bedroom $33.45 2 Bedroom $38.04 3 Bedroom $42.62 2 Bd Presidential $60.98 3 Bd Presidential $70.15 4 Bd Presidential $79.33
So yes - there is TOT for your VGC stay - just the VGC owner of the points paid it as part of their MF (you’re welcome). And yes it’s lower at some properties in Anaheim but won’t be for newer properties. How is the TOT at newer properties like Westin? Again, if it would have been built in for VDH, it would have made for gigantic MF. This way whenever you use your VDH points at WDW you aren’t paying for Anaheim TOT since it’s not forced on you like it is for VGC. Don’t get me wrong I agree with you in that I don’t love the TOT or the newer higher rates but it’s Anaheim so it’s an (mostly) unavoidable thing and for newer properties is much more expensive than older ones. Those with non VGC points who are able to book there whenever they want are able to game the situation and/or people can stay off property at older properties for lower (but still existent) TOT.

I have written a complaint letter about my stay to DVC, no response back yet. I'll let everyone know if there is.

I wish we were simply notified of the water issues and hot tub issues. But they're trying to hide any issues.

I was pretty clear that I found out about the tax here.

clearly mentioned is an interesting choice of words. Clearly defined? Nah. Clearly disclosed? Not so much. Clearly mentioned? sure, I guess.
I agree. As a DVC owner when purchasing DVC I was told that there are no taxes on any stays using DVC points. This was a big selling point.

They've changed this at Aulani and Disneyland Hotel. There should have been a notice sent to all owners telling them about this fact. And when you book a notice that says 'DVC Owners booking with points MUST ALSO PAY TAXES'. Not just showing the taxes, because I normally would 'laugh' the taxes off as something I won't have to pay.

While I’ll agree it would be nice if they shared the estimated amount at check out for clarity, when you book it looks like this. VDH has the same screen as the first Aulani screen but I couldn’t grab it without my account information showing. The box comes up when you click on the blue words. It’s pretty clear that it applies to everyone IMO. When you click View More Details the tax rate chart comes up. I fully agree it should be on the checkout screen though- mostly for the front line CMs sake!

Now I rarely hear people complaining much about the Aulani tax. Do we think that’s because it’s so much lower? Like I said upthread, my 330 point summer stay was $215ish. A 330 point VDH stay has a tax of about $900. Is that why VDH gets more hate? Or is it because it’s new? Or do people figure Hawaii has costs and don’t stress it as much? Or is it because VGC doesn't have the tax at check out and has lower overall dues so it “feels” more uneven whereas Aulani is the only Hawaii option.

Attachments

• IMG_6119.png
    IMG_6119.png
    98 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6120.png
    IMG_6120.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6121.png
    IMG_6121.png
    86.6 KB · Views: 13
I agree. As a DVC owner when purchasing DVC I was told that there are no taxes on any stays using DVC points. This was a big selling point.

They've changed this at Aulani and Disneyland Hotel. There should have been a notice sent to all owners telling them about this fact. And when you book a notice that says 'DVC Owners booking with points MUST ALSO PAY TAXES'. Not just showing the taxes, because I normally would 'laugh' the taxes off as something I won't have to pay.
The State of Hawaii Transient Accommodations Tax has been required of timeshare stays for many years, and Aulani has always complied with the law.

When sales, point charts, and dues for VDH were announced, the TOT being separate from dues was made clear.

So no need to send notice to “all owners.”

Last edited:
Now I rarely hear people complaining much about the Aulani tax. Do we think that’s because it’s so much lower? Like I said upthread, my 330 point summer stay was $215ish. A 330 point VDH stay has a tax of about $900. Is that why VDH gets more hate? Or is it because it’s new? Or do people figure Hawaii has costs and don’t stress it as much? Or is it because VGC doesn't have the tax at check out and has lower overall dues so it “feels” more uneven whereas Aulani is the only Hawaii option.
That’s a big part of it for me, and I live in CA ask I’m already used to my taxes being wasted. The TOT for VGC is somewhere between $0.50-60/pt, Aulani is about $0.64/pt, and VDH is a whopping $2.78. Then you have to factor in the high point chart and upfront point cost, highish maintenance fees, resale restrictions, other cheaper options at DLR, and maintenance issues already, you have to really love VDH to look past all that to buy in there.

Agree with your points. My daughter dances at DL every other year. We usually get right about 7 months notice on the exact weekend. So having VDH for that weekend is a nice backup and we’ll be there in 2.5 weeks for the first time. But otherwise, I’ll stick to VGC where we own. But I am looking forward to trying it out. We have reservations at Goofys for the first time ever!

The State of Hawaii Transient Accommodations Tax has been required of timeshare stays for many years, and Aulani has always complied with the law.

When sales, point charts, and dues for VDH were announced, the TOT being separate from dues was made clear.

So no need to send notice to “all owners.”
Would have been nice though. At least I would have known what I was getting in to. I throw out the sales pitches when they show up in my mailbox. I would never in a million years add more DVC points at the comical asking price. So I had no idea until I started coming here.

While I’ll agree it would be nice if they shared the estimated amount at check out for clarity, when you book it looks like this. VDH has the same screen as the first Aulani screen but I couldn’t grab it without my account information showing. The box comes up when you click on the blue words. It’s pretty clear that it applies to everyone IMO. When you click View More Details the tax rate chart comes up. I fully agree it should be on the checkout screen though- mostly for the front line CMs sake!

My guess is that most WDW owners aren’t using their points at Aulani. I know I wouldn’t. When we have traveled to Hawaii, we weren’t looking to stay with Disney.

I agree. It should be way more clear. And I find it exceedingly odd that so many are just cool with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter