The Official What's For Dinner thread:Thursday 1-24-08? Recipe finder in OP. Enjoy! Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zandy595

DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>The other day I f
Last night was our combined birthday (DB, Me, DM, DH) dinner at my mom's house. We had grilled pork tenderloins, mashed potato casserole, onion pie, frosted cauliflower, and grilled apple salad. For dessert I made a chocolate cat cake.

Today is DH's birthday so I think I'm going to make porkchop casserole. He's been requesting it for months. DS and I don't totally love it so I don't make it very often.

Zandy595 said:
Last night was our combined birthday (DB, Me, DM, DH) dinner at my mom's house. We had grilled pork tenderloins, mashed potato casserole, onion pie, frosted cauliflower, and grilled apple salad. For dessert I made a chocolate cat cake.

Today is DH's birthday so I think I'm going to make porkchop casserole. He's been requesting it for months. DS and I don't totally love it so I don't make it very often.

Sandy, how do you make your porkchop casserole? My mother used to make one with scalloped potatoes on top and cream of celery soup. Happy Birthday to you and DH.

Tonight we're having butter beans, sausage and cornbread. Easy dinner. This time change really has us messed up. DD10 went to a slumber party last night and I don't think they slept at all. She has been in her room dozing all afternoon.

Julie

Just wanted to let you know I tried the burbon"less" chicken from page 10! Mmmm Delish, only one of my kids wouldnt try it, shes young, 8, only likes mac and cheese, and good ol standbys! But my eldest loved it! oh and so did my son! LOL

6 days until I leave for WDW! WOO HOO!

Tonight we are having leftover baked spaghetti with focaccia.

WFD at your house?

I'm making Chicken in the crock pot. Following Glynis's potroast recipe but with chicken and chicken gravy instead. I'll serve it with mashed potatoes and green beans almondine. Probably some boxed stuffing too. My kids love that stuff.

TigerKat said:
Nancy - the crock-pot lemon roasted chicken just came out and to be honest it's fall off the bone tender, but I had to put it under the broiler to crisp up the skin and I will tweak it next time for more lemon flavor by putting sliced lemons inside the chicken! Here it is:

Lemon Roasted crock-pot Chicken:

I used the drippings, which does have a lemon flavor, to make a very nice gravy!

Thanks for the recipe as well as the tips. I am putting this on my meal plan for the week.

We'll probably have the spaghetti and meat sauce tonight b/c last night we had a Halloween festival and DH decided we should go out for pizza after

Glynis said:
DH took the older 2 kids deer hunting.

Tonight is our night to carve pumpkins, roast pumpkin seeds and watch "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown." Should be a fun night.

Glynis, this is OT, but I'm chuckling here because my DH likes to hunt and has gone out off and on since he was a kid. Well he is a good shot but a terrible hunter. Once he gets in the tree or whatever he does he tends to watch the animals. One year a deer was watching him watch two squirrels chase each other :lmao: He plans on going out this year but I have not bought another freezer yet......

Man, everyone had great recipes this weekend! We had a roasted chicken dinner Saturday evening with stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, steamed broccoli, and a green salad. For startes we had crusty bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and a hot artichoke chees dip. This was a last minute deal, my DH called and asked if there was time for dinner, he wanted to bring a friend home, so we had leftover Milkyway Pie for dessert. I wanted an apple cobbler but ran out of time.

Sunday was dinner out and tonite we are having babyback ribs and baked potatoes. I have to scoot over to Recipezaar for an oven recipe.

We are having the Marie Callendar's turkey pot pies - nice and easy and one of the few prepared items that we use.

The school musical is over, so we're back to real home-cooked meals. I'm thrilled.

Tonight I'm fixing meatloaf, potatoes, and tossed salad. I may throw in something else, but I haven't decided yet. My thought is that if I fix enough, I can serve leftovers tomorrow night since it'll be hectic.

Looks like DD will be staying home for Halloween to help hand out candy. I got some popcorn and a carton of caramel dip and some apples so we can make our own party. Maybe we'll make it a movie marathon night.

Quick question for ya'll--DS's 1st bday party is this coming Saturday. It was supposed to be this small family party--but has turned into 11 adults and 6 kids. I've already promised dinner to the invitees, but now I'm stumped as what to fix. I wanted to grill out--but it's not going to get out of the 50s here on saturday. Maybe lasagna or chili??? Any ideas????

camreesmom said:
Sandy, how do you make your porkchop casserole? My mother used to make one with scalloped potatoes on top and cream of celery soup. Happy Birthday to you and DH.
Thank you (for the bday wishes).
I don't think I've ever made the porkchop casserole the same way twice. I actually really liked it last night though so I'll tell you what I did.

Boneless pork steaks
Thawed frozen hashbrowns, the cubed kind.
Cream of mushroom soup
Dried onion flakes
Garlic salt
Pepper

Use as many pork steaks as you need for you family. I use half of a 32oz bag of hashbrowns for the 3 of us and we usually have a little leftover. Pour soup in a large bowl, mix in about 1/2 cup milk, 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes, 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and hashbrowns. If you use the whole bag of hashbrowns, you'll need to double the soup and seasoning. Sprinkle pork steaks with garlic salt and pepper, then brown in a frying pan. Place the steaks in the bottom of a greased casserole dish and top with hashbrown mixture. Cover with foil and bake at 350° for about 2 hours. Remove foil after first hour.

tammyandtommy said:
Just wanted to let you know I tried the burbon"less" chicken from page 10! Mmmm Delish, only one of my kids wouldnt try it, shes young, 8, only likes mac and cheese, and good ol standbys! But my eldest loved it! oh and so did my son! LOL
I'm glad you liked it. It's one of our favorites.

I almost forgot to post what I'm making tonight. We're having grilled Italian sausage on sub rolls with sauteed sweet onion and red bell pepper. I'll probably heat up a can of corn too.

Nancyg56 said:
Glynis, this is OT, but I'm chuckling here because my DH likes to hunt and has gone out off and on since he was a kid. Well he is a good shot but a terrible hunter. Once he gets in the tree or whatever he does he tends to watch the animals. One year a deer was watching him watch two squirrels chase each other :lmao: He plans on going out this year but I have not bought another freezer yet......

Well, no deer for us this year! DH didn't even see any bucks. They saw herds of does, but no bucks. It seems they're getting smarter. Last year he did get one, and we had it processed into roasts, hamburger, stew meat, etc. We went out of town for about a week and a half, and came home to find out that our freezer died while we were gone. It was disgusting! I swear, DH actually cried as we threw away all that meat! I was hoping he'd get a deer this year to help dull that pain!

By the way, has the recipe for the Milky Way Pie been posted? It sounds scrumptious! I have to plan our annual Pie Night, and that sounds like a winner!

nucpharm29 said:
Quick question for ya'll--DS's 1st bday party is this coming Saturday. It was supposed to be this small family party--but has turned into 11 adults and 6 kids. I've already promised dinner to the invitees, but now I'm stumped as what to fix. I wanted to grill out--but it's not going to get out of the 50s here on saturday. Maybe lasagna or chili??? Any ideas????

I like the chili idea. Is there any way you could turn it into a pot luck dinner? Maybe ask everyone to bring their favorite side dish? That way, you could concentrate on chili and let everyone else help out as well. Just a thought.

Glynis said:
By the way, has the recipe for the Milky Way Pie been posted? It sounds scrumptious! I have to plan our annual Pie Night, and that sounds like a winner!

Here you go, Glynis:

Chocolate Almond Pie

This is from the Paula Deen newsletter- made it yesterday- OMG!
It tastes like a Mars bar to me.....Love it! A local restaurant makes this and sells it for $4.00 a slice. The total ingredients cost me about $6.00.

6-8 servings

16-20 large marshmallows (I used 20)
4 (1 1/2 ounce)Hershey chocolate bars with almonds
1/2 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 (8 inch) graham cracker pie crust

Melt marshmallows and candy bars in milk over a double boiler. Remove from heat and cool. Whip cream until stiff and fold into cooled chocolate mixture. Add vanilla. Pour into prepared crust and chill.Good as is or top with whipped cream

nucpharm29: I like the chili idea. My sister had a gang coming for a birthday and she had a loaded baked potato bar. You could bake some patatoes add some sour cream, shredded cheese, bacon and the chili. It could be done early and just put out when you are ready.

Let us know what you come up with.

Nancy, it's on the first page already so I'm not going to relist it, is that ok?? :)

P.S. I can't wait to make that pie! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter