the pain.....had gold passes last year for 3 trips over 15 days.......this year.....1 trip and 3 days.....sticker shock

DSLRuser

Age is a state of mind
a 3 day pass with park hopper is only about $200 less then the AP Gold renewal price.

Sort of wish we renewed back in june, then worked in an excuse for another visit.

Right now we are just doing 3 nights at food and wine, then 3 nights at disney land in june 2020. made no sense to renew the gold passes.

I know the feeling! This is why we don’t go unless we have annual passes. We are in an off year right now, but I’m looking forward to August 2020 when we will start our next pass.

Too bad you didn’t stock up on non-expiring tickets before Disney did away with them. We purchased a bunch when they were around $500 each. We let our annual passes expire last May - we had them since 2007!

We are just going to use up the non-expiring tickets and cruise with Disney for a while!

a 3 day pass with park hopper is only about $200 less then the AP Gold renewal price.

Sort of wish we renewed back in june, then worked in an excuse for another visit.

Right now we are just doing 3 nights at food and wine, then 3 nights at disney land in june 2020. made no sense to renew the gold passes.
Look at it as having saved $200 instead of having missed out on renewing.

My AP expires Oct. 1 and I will not be renewing, much to the consternation of my Disney-obsessed brother who likes to plan impromptu trips with me as his traveling partner. Like @DisneyRegulars, our plan is to do an off year and then redeem the vouchers we have for brand new passes in the fall of 2020. Then we will squeeze 3-4 long trips and maybe 1 or 2 short trips out of the APs. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Are Gold passes non-expiring? Can you stock up on Gold Passes at $699, and only activate them in the future?
Regular tickets expire (usually like the end of the next calendar year) so I would imagine APs do as well, but not sure.

Sticker shock...the DGF is joining me for my next trip. She was not totally sure if, and on top of that what part of the trip, the front 4 or the back 4 days. I bought an 8 day park hopper, that way I did not have to worry about it, and just made FPs for all 8 days. It was like 50 bucks more for the 8 day over the 4 day or something around there.

Bottom line, 8 day park hopper pass set me back more than my gold AP renewal. Regular tickets are brutal.

Has the "membership perks" always allowed the purchase of Gold passes to non-Florida residents? Or is that just a more recent addition?
Fairly recent. I don't remember when they were first introduced, but it wasn't always a Member perk.

Are Gold passes non-expiring? Can you stock up on Gold Passes at $699, and only activate them in the future?

So far there's still no expiration on AP certificates other than the system has it as 2031 or 2032 or so. Most agree that is just a date picked by IT vs a hard expiration date but something to keep in mind. If they removed the Gold AP as a DVC option though before you activated I don't know if they'd make you upgrade or not. There have been a couple of AP offers to DVC members that had expirations attached to them but not a general AP.

Fairly recent. I don't remember when they were first introduced, but it wasn't always a Member perk.

Has it been 3 years? Maybe 4? Time flies fast enough I guess it could even be 5 but don't think it's been quite that long.

I know the feeling! This is why we don’t go unless we have annual passes. We are in an off year right now, but I’m looking forward to August 2020 when we will start our next pass.

We are on the same loop as you!

We can usually get 3 trips out of our annual passes and that equates to about 25+ park days! Our last trip was in May. Now we are waiting until the fall of 2020 to purchase our next set of passes.

Feast :o or Famine :( Disney style.

Too bad you didn’t stock up on non-expiring tickets before Disney did away with them. We purchased a bunch when they were around $500 each. We let our annual passes expire last May - we had them since 2007!

We are just going to use up the non-expiring tickets and cruise with Disney for a while!

Those are great to have. We have about 7 days left, I think.

Has the "membership perks" always allowed the purchase of Gold passes to non-Florida residents? Or is that just a more recent addition?
Has it been 3 years? Maybe 4? Time flies fast enough I guess it could even be 5 but don't think it's been quite that long.

My memory is fuzzy too, but I think we were able to purchase discounted APs for at least a year, maybe more, before WDW introduced the Gold pass (including both the DVC Gold pass and the Florida resident Gold pass) separate from the Platinum pass.

We had an older Preferred Pass (what they call Platinum now) from when we got three Preferred Passes for something like $399 (bought it right before they offered that deal so I saved it and bought the $399 passes). Bought a Gold pass when they came out and hadn't used either of those two. Until last October. They expire this October. Then I have two Waterpark Annual Passes that we bought when they were $105 that we are going to use towards a Weekday FL Resident pass starting in Dec. After that, who knows.

Last edited:
I told my daughter we have to try and make our trips so that we can buy annual passes and get at least two trips out of them since we usually go for two weeks at a time. So June 2021 and May 2022. Next year is looking like a first to Disneyland. Any chance to save and I am going to do it.

I get sticker shock too with ticket prices vs the gold AP renewal. My youngest’s Gold ap expires 3 days in our trip in October. We weren’t going to renew her, but for $120 more I did because that gives me more time to decide if we are renewing the rest of ours in January.

Yes, it is a shock. I bought quite a few MYW 5 day tickets ( wish I bought PH) to stock up on years ago. I have been bringing a couple each time I either renew our APs or buy new APs, it helps with the cost. Last trip I brought 4 with me because I knew with Star Wars opening soon the price would be going up. I used them towards 4 new APs certificates. I am hoping to time our trips to get 2 or 3 visits out of each.

Wicked! I have AP. Just brought 2 Xmas tickets with DVC discount.
And one day hopper, so we can do a tour, and then brought one single day non hopper.
My friend agreed to join me for a two day trip. Yikes
200.22 Xmas ticket
188.51 hopper for a day
124.61 one day non hopper

It appears the mouse's greed has gone wild.

Increase the ticket prices exponentially over the past couple of years and then implement cuts when the attendance decreases. Seems like an excellent business plan, yes? :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter