• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Peyton Manning era is over for the Indianapolis Colts

He will be missed. He as well as his whole family is such a class act.

I must admit if he was my husband, I would want him to just retire (after having 4 surgeries in 19 months on his neck.) They don't need the money. He has his whole life in front of him. I'm sure he will be successful not matter what he choses to do- my guess is broadcasting.

He was asked why he didn't retire, and he said that he still wants to play and feels that he can.

Sounds like he's not ready to retire.

I agree that once his playing days are done, he has lots of options. I can see him equally at home in broadcasting or in coaching.

Or being a professional pitch man - LOVE his commercials! :thumbsup2

He will certainly be missed in Indy. I think he was unique among marquee players in a small market in the extent to which he embraced the city as his home. Many times, players for teams in cities line Indy never live in the city they play for. But also, the loyalty factor for the fans in a small market is a huge deal. It will be interesting to see whether this will turn out to be a bad choice for Irsay. Hope Peyton goes into some type of coaching some day and returns to Indy

:sad1::sad1::sad1:

I hate the thought of seeing Peyton play for someone else. I will, however, remain a Colts fan. I wish him the best of luck. He is truly a class act.

really love peyton, but i really hope he doesnt actually go play elsewhere, like a PP said, i think the next phase is the right one...great guy and great family...

:sad1:, I loved Indy because of Peyton and I have so many things of his it is not funny. Instead of setting fire to the rain, I'm setting fire to my Indy gear:mad:. My heart belongs to Peyton I used to bleed blue now I'm seeing red:furious: Where ever Peyton decides to go, I'm there:thumbsup2
I wouldn't act so viscerally. The Indy Star's Bob Kravitz wrote a great piece that was posted on-line prior to the press conference that sums it up very well:
We knew this was coming, knew it all the way back when the Colts went to 0-13 and earned the pole position to draft Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck. And yet, hearing and reading the news Tuesday night -- Peyton Manning to be released by Colts -- was still somehow shocking.

Shocking and so, so strange.

He was going to be a Colt for life, a Colt up until the day he couldn't throw a football any longer. The idea that he would someday play elsewhere seemed foreign and downright ridiculous.

How could that happen?

And yet it's happened.

The Manning era, which saw the Colts win 10-plus games 11 times, play in 19 playoff games and win a Super Bowl, is over.

And it's happened because it had to happen. It had to happen because there were just too many questions about the state of his surgically repaired neck and his right arm, and because only a fool tosses away a chance to grab Luck and let him grow with a new, rebuilding team.

There is no bad guy here.

Not Colts owner Jim Irsay.

Not Peyton Manning.

It was the perfect storm of imperfect circumstances, a 2-14 season, a devastating series of neck injuries and the unexpected and incredibly fortuitous availability of Luck at the No. 1 draft spot.

I give Irsay credit for having the backbone to do the most difficult thing he's had to do as an NFL owner.

And I give Manning credit for understanding that times and circumstances change, that it was better for him and for the organization to move on and try to win a championship elsewhere.

"With all the moves that happened this year after the season was over with -- the GM being fired, all of the coaching staff and all of that -- I kind of figured something was going to happen,'' Dwight Freeney told the NFL Network. "Peyton is like family to us, family to me. He's been here 10 years with me. It's been great, but we also understand this is the National Football League, and these things happen.''

There will be a lot of anger toward Irsay. That will be understandable. It's impossible to overstate the civic impact Manning had on this franchise, on this city and on this region. He did it not only as an athlete but as a philanthropist. He was, and still is, the most important athlete ever to grace the playing fields of Indianapolis.

And yet, people need to temper their anger with the understanding that Irsay had very little choice.

Archie Manning was absolutely right when he said it the first time: Peyton and Andrew can't be on the same roster.

Irsay tried to open the door, if only a little, for Manning's return, saying he would renegotiate the deal and have him back if he bought into certain conditions. He would have to take less money. He would have to play mentor to Luck, sharing a percentage of practice snaps. He'd even have to battle Luck for the starting quarterback job.

But Manning -- and don't blame him for this, either -- felt he was better off elsewhere. He felt he could make more money, have more autonomy and have a better chance to win a Super Bowl in another city, and he's right on all counts.

This has been a beautiful marriage for 14 amazing years. But the pair, Irsay and Manning, have grown and gone in different directions. Nobody wanted it to end this way, but it has, and now it's time for goodbyes.
I think that it's awful that Manning will no longer be with the Colts, but I understand why this happened. Peyton was awesome on and off the field in Indianapolis. In addition to being one of the best QBs ever, he's a great human being. And Manning's situation is by no means unique. The Star also noted that of the top 13 passing yardage QBs in the NFL, only four of them have spent the twilight of their careers with his original team. Manning will have good company in the likes of Brett Favre, Warren Moon, Fran Tarkenton, Joe Montana, and another Colts legend: Johnny Unitas.

I am a Peyton fan first, then a Colts fan. I also have taken a lot of crap from friends and family for sticking by the Colts after the way the Senior Irsay snuck the team away from Baltimore in the middle of the night. My reasons for liking the Colts have been fired, released, or retired.

I think the Colts will have many years of crappy seasons as they are basically rebuilding from scratch. Perhaps Luck will indeed be lucky but if so he will beat the odds. How many Number 1 draft picks actually work out?

I will follow Peyton to wherever he lands and will pray he gets to return to his top form without further injury because that is what he wants. My dh thinks he is selfish for not retiring but I understand his love for the game is what drives him. If anyone watched the Colts' sidelines this year, it was easy to read the pain on his face from merely being able to watch. He may never have the number of wins or superbowl appearances of Terry Bradshaw or Joe Montana but he is every bit as exciting to watch as they were.

Peyton is my favorite player of all time. Before he played for the Colts, he belonged to Tennessee and we would love to have him back. Unfortunately the Texas owners of the Titans have their heads so deep in Texas that they don't understand Tennesseans and our love for Peyton. On behalf of e eryone here - Come Home Peyton!

As a diehard Miami Dolphin's fan, I feel for the Indy Fans. I remember what it was like to see Dan Marino go. For us, it may be easier as he was retiring and we weren't going to see him in another team's uniform (even though he would have been willing to play for the Steelers).

I always cheered for the Colts because I've been a huge Manning fan. I was glad to see when the divisions were separated and the Colts were no longer in our division since I didn't have to " dislike" them anymore but then I was disappointed that I wouldn't get to see them play down here at least once a year.

On the other hand, if he does come down here, as the Dolphins are an option and he already has a home down here, he will be greeted with open arms. I know he has plenty of teams to choose from , but Id love to see him playing here!

He was asked why he didn't retire, and he said that he still wants to play and feels that he can.

Sounds like he's not ready to retire.

I agree that once his playing days are done, he has lots of options. I can see him equally at home in broadcasting or in coaching.

Or being a professional pitch man - LOVE his commercials!
:thumbsup2

I would love to see him actually coach in college and help mold the youth of the game. Not just in their on field abilities, but in how to handle themselves off the field as well.

His Papa Johns super bowl commerical this year was too funny.

As a diehard Miami Dolphin's fan, I feel for the Indy Fans. I remember what it was like to see Dan Marino go. For us, it may be easier as he was retiring and we weren't going to see him in another team's uniform (even though he would have been willing to play for the Steelers).

I always cheered for the Colts because I've been a huge Manning fan. I was glad to see when the divisions were separated and the Colts were no longer in our division since I didn't have to " dislike" them anymore but then I was disappointed that I wouldn't get to see them play down here at least once a year.

On the other hand, if he does come down here, as the Dolphins are an option and he already has a home down here, he will be greeted with open arms. I know he has plenty of teams to choose from , but Id love to see him playing here!

Lots of the people were in a tizzy about him heading down to Miami. There were 2 of us trying to tell everybody, don't read too much into it. He has a vacation home down there. And if ever he needed a vacation home to go to and get away from the stress of his normal day to day life, it would be needed after this announchment. Weither he expected it and knew it was coming or not, it's still a lot of stress to deal with.

Peyton has given a great deal to our community; not just as a player but as a resident.

Unfortunately, this is the downside of the era of the salary cap in the NFL. Even a gifted athlete of Peyton's caliber only has so many years in him. The neck injury certainly aggravated that situation. For those painting Jim Irsay as a bad guy, keep in mind that he is allowed to spend only so much money on his team. If he could have found a way to keep Manning, all of his veterans, and STILL rebuild his team, I'm sure he would have. But he had to make a decision between giving Manning another two or three years (and not shore up the holes that became obvious when Peyton went down with his neck surgeries) or start with the rebuild with a promising young quarterback available in the draft. It's a gamble either way. There is a good chance that Peyton will recover entirely and will play at his usual brilliant level for the next four years but there's also a chance he'll never regain the full strength of his arm or even go down in the first game next season. There is a chance that Andrew Luck will live up to the hype and turn into another great franchise quarterback but there is also the risk that he'll be a bust and not be able to play the game at the NFL level. The rebuild would have happened sooner or later. Irsay chose to start now after a dismal season where all of the Colts weaknesses as a team became glaringly obvious.

Thank you #18 for all that you have done for our team and our city. I thought it was a true testament of Jim Irsay's feelings that he retired your number immediately. That shows his tremendous respect and affection for his gifted friend and player. I hope you are able to play a few more years and that you are able to get another ring or two with your new team. I'll certainly be rooting (unless you play the Colts). As for the Colts, I look forward to seeing what our new Head Coach and General Manager will build in the next couple of years.

He is a class act. I can't say that for Irsay.

For what he means to the team and the city he should finish his career just as it started- A Colt.
Yes, 28M is alot but the revenue he has generated is much more and he doesn't deserve this.

For those painting Jim Irsay as a bad guy, keep in mind that he is allowed to spend only so much money on his team. If he could have found a way to keep Manning, all of his veterans, and STILL rebuild his team, I'm sure he would have.
I think you're doing a good job of taking the "long view" of the situation. It was clear that Irsay took no joy in what happened yesterday. I'd love to see Manning come back to the Colts organization after his playing days are officially over and become part of the front office or offensive coaching staff. It truly sounded like they parted friends knowing that the decision was likely best for all parties. Every football analyst I've read said "Irsay had no choice, given the circumstances."

I think they tried to work something out, including reducing or renegotiating Peyton's contract, having him share snaps/quarterback duties with Andrew Luck and working with him as a mentor, etc, as he continues to recover from the neck and arm problems.

But in the end, I think they both realized it was better for everyone to have a fresh start. It IS a lot like a marriage - they had to ask themselves, are they better together, or better apart?

For the Colts, it was better to essentially build a team from the ground up, with a new general manager, new head coach, and new starting QB.

For Peyton, it was better to start with a new team, new owners, new coaches and try to regain the glory and win some conference championships and maybe another Super Bowl before his time runs out.

By all accounts, it was a painful decision. It was made even more poignant when Peyton's comments when he signed his contract were replayed. Back then, he spoke about how much it meant that he could begin and end his career as a Colt.

What is amazing is that for over 20 years, Peyton Manning has only ever played for 3 football teams - Isidore Newman High School in New Orleans, University of Tennessee, and the Indianapolis Colts.

It is so rare to find that kind of "brand loyalty" these days.

Best wishes to Peyton and to the Colts. It was a great ride, but it had to end.

I'm hoping he remains involved in the Indianapolis area. He and his wife have been involved in many charities and childrens organizations, including being a major donor to the St. Vincent Children's Hospital, now named in his honor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter