The Pharaoh of the Exodus (historical question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzz Rules

To Infinity and Beyond
The Pharaoh of the Exodus question. This is meant to be a historical question not a religious debate. I know the historical authenticity surrounding the event is controversial and many theories have been proposed in the last 200 years alone. But I’m curious on who you think the pharaoh was at the time. I continuously see historians try to place the supposed event between 1500 B.C.-1200 B.C. . As someone who’s Catholic with Jewish heritage and has an interest in history, I find the topic fascinating. I ask that the thread remains respectful and would love to hear your thoughts and theories on the topic. Thanks. 🙂

I’m also half Jewish half catholic with an interest in history (actually first majored in it before I switched figuring I couldn’t get a job with a history major lol). I was always told it was Ramses II. Chag Pesach sameach!

I wish we could know the name of pharaoh’s daughter (assuming that part of the story is historically accurate), that would help solve the grand mystery. :confused3

I found this article interesting. We just watched The Prince of Egypt this week and I did some internet searching :)

https://www.gotquestions.org/Pharaoh-of-the-Exodus.html
Very interesting article. I love the idea of the irony of not naming a king who had gone to a lot of effort to be remembered.

It suggested Amenhotep.

The Pharaoh of the Exodus question. This is meant to be a historical question not a religious debate. I know the historical authenticity surrounding the event is controversial and many theories have been proposed in the last 200 years alone. But I’m curious on who you think the pharaoh was at the time. I continuously see historians try to place the supposed event between 1500 B.C.-1200 B.C. . As someone who’s Catholic with Jewish heritage and has an interest in history, I find the topic fascinating. I ask that the thread remains respectful and would love to hear your thoughts and theories on the topic. Thanks. 🙂
You mentioned your religious heritage. Do you go to church/temple enough to maybe ask what a priest or rabbi might think? They are both closer to an answer, having studied theology and likely middle east history.

If you do, come back and post if you get an answer. :) It's an interesting question.

Very interesting article. I love the idea of the irony of not naming a king who had gone to a lot of effort to be remembered.

It suggested Amenhotep.

You mentioned your religious heritage. Do you go to church/temple enough to maybe ask what a priest or rabbi might think? They are both closer to an answer, having studied theology and likely middle east history.

If you do, come back and post if you get an answer. :) It's an interesting question.
It honestly depends on what tradition of Christianity/Judaism one follows. Most catholic priests would say it doesn’t really matter since Jesus fulfilled the prophecy of the Old Testament and Moses appeared with Jesus in the Transfiguration, so he must have existed (according to the Catholic Church). For Jews it’s more complicated since some view it as literally history and others as metaphorical. It is interesting that in modern science, most scientists/archeologists believe that the Israelites/Hebrews were originally Canaanites that broke off into a monotheistic sect. They don’t currently have an exact date when it would have happened or why though (before 1000 BC for sure though). People often dismiss the Exodus as an event that has little proof. I question some parts of it sure but evidence such as DNA testing of Kohens (decedents of Aaron) make me think about what is the historical truth if any. It’s easier to find proof of the United Kingdom of Israel and later the divided kingdoms since Egyptian and near by kingdoms document it. Most of the Old Testament was written around 500 BC when they were freed from the Babylonian captivity by Cyrus the Great of Persia and allowed to rebuild their temple and practice their religion (until Alexander the Great took them over and then the Romans). When Babylon destroyed both the kingdoms of Israel and Judah, tribal affiliations were pretty much lost to a point. 10 tribes became lost in history with only Judah, Benjamin, and the Levites being able to identify themselves in history after the Babylonian Exile . When the 3 groups came back, so did some members of the 10 lost tribes and married into the larger group. After that, they got the name Jews since the tribe of Judah was the largest of the remaining population left that could be identified besides Kohens (who could only marry other Kohens). That’s why anyone with Ashkenazi Jewish DNA can pretty much confirm they are descended from the tribe of Judah when asked (Kohens would say Levites).

Also Egypt rarely reported defeats in ancient times. The Battle of Kadesh and their battle with the sea people are an example. Imagine them not wanting to say the Catholic/Jewish God was stronger than their pagan counterparts.

The key to the answer is when the exodus occurred. If you know the date then it is easy to find out who was Pharaoh at the time. The problem is that there is no exact date given.

According to Wikipedia, these are some of the names given to Moses’s adoptive mother by tradition:
Thermouthis (birth name, Judaism)
Bithiah (adopted name, Judaism)
Merris (Christianity), Merrhoe (Christianity), Asiya (Islam).

I wish archeologists would find the ark of the covenant. That would definitely give some credibility to the Exodus story. I heard that according to legend it’s buried in a secret chamber under the Temple Mount. So until the government and religious entities have an agreement, it probably will never be found if that is its hiding place. But seriously, I have to say with all our modern technology, could we not just use a X-ray device to see inside the hidden chamber without destroying any relics/stone? Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter