The pop-ups look very unappealing

Whipperwhirl

DIS Veteran
We went to an RV show this past weekend - with pop-ups in mind and all the sudden I'm looking at hybrids and then class C's, - and the pop-up started to look less and less appealing - now I can even look at them. I am hooked on getting a large toy hauler. We don't own a truck that will pull anything larger than a pop-up. Which means we have to get a new truck. We dont have room in our yard for anything larger than a pop-up. What am I going to do? Its like I need an intervention or something before I head into camper financial disaster.

I prefer a pop up for the 17 mpg we get with our truck (same as not towing) :) Every time I think about a regular tt the 10 mpg scares me. :eek:

I can't help, only encourage you to go big or go home! ;)

We had a pop up, grew out of it and I was eyeing the FW/Coleman Niagara pop up. Our Honda Pilot could tow it...then we started looking at the hybrids that the Pilot could possibly tow. We couldn't find one that could fit the seven of us nicely. So we decided to upgrade tow vehicle and found something in our price limit. Then we started looking at larger hybrids and we pick up the new hybrid on Friday - or atleast sign the paperwork then. We may have them store it for us. Anyway, don't settle, that's the moral of my long story. GL!

I hear you Whipperwhirl-

I have happily enjoyed my pop-up camper for 11 years now.

It's great.

We have had a blast with it.

But then I went to an RV show recently.

Boy are some of those 5th wheels sweet.

I can't even imagine what it would be like to "camp" in one of those!

For now, I'm sticking with the pop-up.

But I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I am guilty of some major coveting.

TCD

Whip - we have a hybrid and LOVE it, and for a first camper after tenting for many years, it has been awesome for the 5 of us and two large dogs. But....as easy as it is to set up, I can see the day when we will want to just "pull in and plug in" and be done with it.

O'boy I can't help you:upsidedow we owned a pop-up for 3 months and then we bought a class A:eek:

We bought a little 18' TT and traded it in the next year for a 30' class C. Have had that for 3 years. I have started planning for the next bigger one in the next 2 to 3 years.

It is a disease, but I love it.

Dan

We went from tenting to a Jayco Hybrid, we are a family of 5 but our TT supposedly sleeps 10, we haul it with our mid size SUV. We love our TT plenty of room to move around with 3 pull outs/pull downs :)

We went to the RV Show here in Harrisburg in 2001 (before the show outgrew the Farm Show Complex and moved out to Hershey) to purchase a popup. I knew what I wanted, but SWMBO pointed to a Jayco Hybrid and said, "I want one of those." Well, what she wants I want (helps with the Marital Bliss and Domestic Tranquility - besides, I LIKE sleeping indoors). :lmao:

We towed our Jayco Kiwi 23B around for a few years, then were visiting the dealership fromw whom we bought the hybrid, and they had a nice Class C on the lot. We ended up doing a trade and now have a Class C. This Saturday, we are doing another trade, moving up to a Class A.

I hope you find something to your liking. Good luck.

Bought my first "RV" a one thousand dollar used Starcraft pop-up that had an icebox, no battery or heat, one propane bottle for the stove and a pump water handle on the sink.

By every measure it was basic, crude, and cheap. BUT, it was a real bed (two actually) and off the ground!! So of course I loved it. :)

So, the next year went out and got a newer/bigger Starcraft pop-up that had a real fridge, a furnace, a water pump, and wonder-of-wonders a hot shower and cassette toilet!! WOW! No more getting up and trudging to the bathrooms at oh-dark-thirty :cool1:

I was hooked! Skipped over TT's and fivers, went right to a Class C Winnebago, and now a Class A Winnebago.

Love the A, use it all the time, just got back from 12 days at the Fort!:thumbsup2

but..... There are days when I really miss the pop-up..... :lovestruc

Steve

My parents have a class A Winnebago Vectra - It makes anything we buy look kind of rediculous.

Now that I have had some time away from the RV show - some perspective on things - I think the best thing for us to do is to start with a pop-up/toy hauler combo like a used "Scorpion" - especially is we are going to buy a golf cart also. Until we buy a new home - we just dont have room for anything else. I need to stay away from those RV shows - They are like drugs or something!

We bought a used Class C in 2006. Traded it in, January 2007 for a brand new one. DH dragged us to an RV this past weekend and drooled over the As. He kept walking in, reading the signs and saying "We can afford these payments." :sad2: As I do the bills, I just kept nodding and then shoving him back out the door. :rotfl2:

However, we did find out eventual retirement home. :thumbsup2

Been there, done that. We were going to buy a pop up. (We're a young family of 3 who was used to tenting...) Then we went to the Hershey RV show - and left as the proud owners of a Copper Canyon 5th wheel. (We already had the truck that was capable of pulling it...)

Felt guilty for a minute as our DS was only 3 months at the time and I was still on maternity leave not making any money. But gosh darn it if I don't love "camping" in it. And I love having the second bedroom for DS.

We started camping in a tent, then went to a conversion van, then to a 24' TT, then a 28' 5'er, and now we have a 39' triple slide toyhauler. There are pluses and minuses to all of them. We love the toyhauler, but it is too big sometimes. I honestly would like to have a small 16' or so TT toyhauler for those times when bigger isn't always better.

I understand how you feel. We are always looking at TT's and 5th wheels, but for now we are extremely happy with our popup.

We have a very large box at 16ft with a dinette slide out highwall. It is roomy enough for our family of 5 and feels very open.

We will eventually upgrade, but most likely not for a while.

Enjoy your hunt for the right trailer!

Don't restrict youself from something you'd like to have to only something that will "fit" in your yard.

Look around, you should find plenty of storage places to park you RV when you're not using it. We have a storage lot for our MH for $50/month. Can't keep it at home due to HOA rules and it wouldn't fit in the driveway anyway.

It would be a shame for you to buy something you're quickly not going to be happy with and end up trading and losing money due to depreciation.

Buy what you can afford that will make you happy and don't restrict yourself to something that won't really work for you.

Best Regards!

Its not camping if ya dont smell the canvas ;). It depends if you want a hotel on wheels or to actually go camping :lmao:. I prefer my pop up, I figure if I get anymore luxury I may as well just stay home or rent a room at the Hilton :). But its all about what makes you happy.

We have a TT. and in fact, I DO call it our "Hotel on Wheels",
Some times I just like the feel of being a real camper and don't turn on the AC/Heat.:lmao:

I'm a happy happy boy. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter