The pressure to provide "excellent" service

Three DCL cruises for us. I do not recall a big "excellent" speech - perhaps mentioned once. When we checked in for our lat cruise, the CM noticed our son had a birthday a couple week prior and gave him a "I'm celebrating my birthday pin". He still had it on when we went to dinner and the server noticed it and said we would celebrate the last night - and we did. He also asked if we were celebrating anything else and we told him we celebrated our 20th aniv six months ago and our daughter just finished her 1st year of college. We had three separate celebrations at dessert with about six or seven dining CMs. No need for speeches with service like that.

Not sure I would brag about that -- isn't it a downgrade to be taken from Palo service and put back in the MDRs?
Yes it's definitely a downgrade in most cases. It's not uncommon though because of vacation schedules not perfectly meshing together with Palo servers leaving for vacation and those returning from vacation due to extending contracts and or vacations, for returning Palo servers to work the MDR until an opening is available once again. Also at times when Palo bookings are not at capacity and a server there is placed on "standby" for a particular evening, he or she can also be pulled down to the MDR to fill in for a server or asst. server if needed in case of illness for example.

We had a serving team on one of our DCL cruises and the head server was finishing his contract with our cruise -- and that was ALL he talked about, half the time forgetting food items or to even place the items in for service because he was too busy running around talking about how it was his last cruise. And during many evenings he just disappeared all together and we never saw him the rest of the night!

I never give excellent unless an individual has gone out of their way to resolve a problem or help in a way that was extraordinary. On DCL, 90% of the service is terrific, but I only grade good or very good, as everything cannot always be excellent since there is always room for improvement ;)

I've posted this before but I am nothing if not redundant:

Our server gave us the speech after the second night of a 7 night cruise. I never knew how many different ways you could accentuate the word excellent....

He asked if there was anything he could improve to give excellent service. So I told him. Bring my coffee with the dessert, don't make me look around for you when I want a refill, don't make me sit around for 15 minutes waiting for a piece of pie, or ice cream, or whatever....

He acknowledged each of my suggestions with great aplomb. ........and then the service got steadily worse each night thereafter. I eventually started getting my own refills at the coffee station....nobody stopped or questioned me. My family and the other family at the table kinda enjoyed joking about how lousy the servers were doing; anticipating and predicting each night's failures. We tried to be compassionate, but we failed.

I am looking forward to a different set of servers come February.
Sounds a bit arrogant to me

Sounds a bit arrogant to me
I disagree. If they want only excellent ratings I think they actually have to be excellent. Yes their company is being stupid in only counting excellent as a pass but that isn't the fault of the customer and we should be able to give real feedback.

The people above that are afraid to say they don't like the menus because they don't want to impact the jobs of the servers stands out to me. I'm cynical and wonder if that is the point disney wants to be able to say "99% of people rate us excellent" so they make people afraid to rate them anything else.

I hate when I go out and have to look for refills on things and wouldn't rate anything excellent that made me keep having to look for people.

You shouldn't have to skip dinner in the MDR because the waiter is pushy. You paid (through the nose) for the food, and you're paying the waiters to give you decent service without begging for an excellent rating.
Took the words out of my mouth.
We had never cruised before, I remember the server saying some speech most nights about excellent rating, blah, blah, blah.
Actually it just went straight over our heads , we just nodded and smiled.
To tell you the truth we saw those survey cards in our room, but didn't fill them out.
C'mon people don't loose sleep over getting a speech about excellent service on your cruise, maybe if no one fills them out, a Disney might realise people have more important thing to do on their cruise , like enjoying it!

I disagree. If they want only excellent ratings I think they actually have to be excellent. Yes their company is being stupid in only counting excellent as a pass but that isn't the fault of the customer and we should be able to give real feedback.

The people above that are afraid to say they don't like the menus because they don't want to impact the jobs of the servers stands out to me. I'm cynical and wonder if that is the point disney wants to be able to say "99% of people rate us excellent" so they make people afraid to rate them anything else.

I hate when I go out and have to look for refills on things and wouldn't rate anything excellent that made me keep having to look for people.
I meant arrogant in some of the points. Eg
Don't make me wait 15 mins for pie, don't make me look around for you when I want a refill, to me that is arrogant,
unless you are the only one in the MDR at the time.
Could not imagine saying that to anyone in a resturant serving me

to your point:

when I am in a restaurant, the server has a job which is to make me happy. THAT is how the restaurant industry works (and I'm not speaking as an outsider) and that is why they are called servers.

I never expect 5-star attention unless I am in a 5-star restaurant.
However, IF I am asked what improvements can be made, I suggest what could be done, and the suggestions are ignored...wellllll.
When I go to a diner, often the waitress will acknowledge me in passing and maybe say "I'll be right there, hun."...THAT is all it takes.
IF I am being ignored to the point that I get my own coffee, it seems unusual. People are busy, to be sure, but it is not my job as a paying customer to make excuses for the lack of service, it is their job to figure out how to provide me with adequate (let alone excellent) service.
If they hadn't pestered me with the adequate speech, I would have chalked up the generally lousy (and there is much more to the tale than I have recounted here) to the server being just so-so and the asst. server to being COMPLETELY overwhelmed to the point we were waiting for her to quit. ( In fact, she disappeared 2 nights while we were there)

and, to be sure, nobody is losing sleep over the speeches.
it's the "interference" with your vacation and meals which seems intrusive on your vacation time. sort of like when those time-share guys are outside your hotel in Cancun each and every day...except, at least, they're not employed by the hotel (I think)....or when they push stuff on you at the spa.

My first cruise was in 2005, 7 night didn't hear the speech asking for excellent rating, 2007 didn't hear the speech, and we had excellent service on both of those cruises. However, 2012 our service was ok far from excellent, 2014 it was good, better than 2012 but still not excellent. We got the speech really strong on the 2012 cruise not so much on the 2014 cruise. I think you should fill out the survey with accurate information, If you get excellent service then you should get it, I am expecting to cruise in the fall of 2017 and I think I'll say to them on the first night if you want me to give you an excellent rating you better give me excellent service and I don't want to hear your speech about how I should give you an excellent rating, you'll get what you give me.

Most of the other cruise lines we have sailed send you an email survey to complete when you get home. Much more convenient, giving you the ability and time to think about your answers and recall your experience!

I wonder if their pay is directly affected by not getting an excellent. My husband works service and their pay (commission only) will be cut for anything below an excellent. Also in the hospital industry, the hospital loses money for anything below an excellent and the next rating below. Crazy standards as many of us who fill out survey scores are hard-pressed to automatically give an excellent especially if we are having to pay a lot of money to get our cars repaired or if we ar sick and our pain is not eased.

I didn't realize hospitals went with the car dealership system. What an incredibly stupid place to do that! There are a million reasons why a person would ding a hospital stay that have nothing to do with the actual staff. I help my MIL fill those out, and she knocks them because they don't respond fast enough when she hits the call light. That's because she waits until she can't wait to "go", and she has zero empathy for the fact that they might be helping someone as sick as she was just two days prior. And even though she wears Depends at home, she refuses to use them (won't even put them on) in the hospital. She's a total fall hazard and she will get up if they don't respond a minute after she calls (and she just yells "hello, hello" into the microphone instead of telling them what she needs). So she rates them low for it. Whereas I would tell them early and try to be patient, and I think 5 minutes is ok. (Sharing a home and bathroom, sometimes you have to wait!)

It's just sooooo subjective. What a ridiculous place to have those surveys.

They do this because it directly affects their pay. They are straight commission and it is cut when they score below the highest score. In addition is can hurt the dealership. They can actually loose the service line if they get enough scores that are low. In other words, Ford could remove all their cars and their ability to sell or service Fords.

And from what DH (used to be a service writer with Saturn) and his brother (mechanic at Cadillac dealership) tell me, even saying the highest rating and then using more words = failure. They just want that number or "excellent", nothing else.

Great, we've basically concluded (and good insight btw red Sox68) that going to the mdr has become like going to a car dealership.

Always!

...and had come from Palo recently and preferred Palo diners over the MDR guests.

Wowzers. Hello Mr Inappropriate!

Their recommendations were the best of the bunch, but if I didn't like the bunch, then how to let DCL know? Ugh.

Exactly.

I meant arrogant in some of the points. Eg
Don't make me wait 15 mins for pie, don't make me look around for you when I want a refill, to me that is arrogant,
unless you are the only one in the MDR at the time.
Could not imagine saying that to anyone in a resturant serving me

But the guy asked them how to make it excellent. And they answered.

And then he didn't do any of it.

I think the food quality thing is the worst part. That is truly not their fault. Coldness and recommendations aside, the actual food quality is on the chefs and the menu-creators. They keep shunting it off on the servers so nothing is changing.

If I order Mac and cheese on pirate night because the veggie items are atrocious HOW is that the server's fault that I don't like the dishes? If I order that and the server doesn't bring it, then something is the server's fault. If I say there's something wrong with the menu and that's why I ordered mac, that's not the server's issue. If I just say I liked my food, how do they know I ordered a kid meal because the menu is so gross?

DH ordered the veggie pancakes or whatever they are that night, expecting something of a Korean inspired thing (because of the description) and it was so bad he stopped the server, asked for mac, then tried to get the chef out to discuss exactly what was wrong with the dish.

And after a certain amount of times goes by in a meal it's too late to have them fix it. They are being set up to lose, while the kitchen has NO rating system at all.

I'm so sad for the servers who are unfairly treated by Disney if they don't receive an "excellent" rating. This has gone on for years; some day when I get to be in charge of DCL that will be one of the very first things I change. So wrong to treat your employees that way.

But, it is what it is, and I understand their need to let us know how important that rating is to their jobs. We always react gently, and let them know we understand and to not worry. I've read of one poster here who threatened to reduce their rating or their tip if them mentioned "excellent" again. Now that's pretty rude.

These wonderful, hardworking folks have a system that puts them in an uncomfortable position. We need to understand, sympathize, and guess what...they will appreciate the kindness and you will get it back in spades during your cruise.

the kitchen has NO rating system at all.

Knowing that the cards and system (i.e. excellent or nothing) are never going to change, I would be satisfied if the food quality number was changed to the kitchen rather than the wait staff. Just that small change would make a significant change in my impression of the whole survey.

some day when I get to be in charge of DCL that will be one of the very first things I change.

Ooooh, this would be a fun thread to read through, "If I was in charge of DCL, I would change..."

and, to be sure, nobody is losing sleep over the speeches.

Well, this is going to sound overly dramatic but my then 12YO son (who is overly dramatic) did lose sleep over it. He is on the spectrum and takes everything very literally. He was worried the servers would lose their jobs or get into trouble if we didn't fill out the survey with the excellent rating. This was especially irritating since they started asking days before we even got the survey, so we couldn't even do anything about it. So I got to hear, "Mom, when will we get the survey? Mom, will you put excellent on the survey? Mom, would he lose his job right away if we didn't put excellent? Mom, what if we forget to fill it out?" He's my worrier though, so this is not out of character for him. He was also up at night worried about the unattended toddler he saw by the pool, the homeless man in Nassau and the crying woman at the airport. Giving this speech in front of our worrier though just added to our frustration about the speech altogether, especially when I don't even think it's true. A server who gets 90% "very good" ratings is a very good server and DCL would be foolish to fire them for not getting a high percentage of "excellent" marks. I'd like to hear directly from DCL what sanctions or rewards employees get based on the coveted "excellent" rating. So far, I think we've only heard from employees, who (according to themselves) have a financial motivation of some sort for wanting that rating and even those reports seem to differ.

It's nice that your son still has a sweet heart and has not become hard and cynical like some of us (meaning me)....

I guess he is an avid DISboard reader? If so: hello to you, sir!

It's nice that your son still has a sweet heart and has not become hard and cynical like some of us (meaning me)....

I guess he is an avid DISboard reader? If so: hello to you, sir!

Yes, he has a very big heart and I hope he stays that way, even if it means keeping me up at night worrying about whether or not the homeless cats he saw in San Juan are hungry right now or if people in jail miss their families. His big heart helps keep our family in check, always reminding us our worries are small and we are blessed. He's not on Disboards yet. Maybe some day.

I see this come up on the boards all the time, but I have not once experienced this in my 3 cruises as an adult. I mean, they will ask if everything has been good, but no more so than any regular restaurant server. Part of their job is to ensure the service is to your liking. But it's never been persistent nor have we ever felt pressured.

I just think the pressure they have put on them from Disney must be that intense if they are doing this to you guys...

Honestly think to yourself, do you think these people would bother you if Disney didn't do this to them.

Also, I'm never rude to people handling my food - I will make my comments accordingly afterwards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter