• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The price of going to the movies is a damn SIN!!!

maslex

DIS Veteran
So I took my two boys to the movies along with their cousin yesterday afternoon to go see Grown Ups. I just can't believe the prices of movies these days but what's even more appalling are the prices at the concession stand. O...M...G...

1- The price for a matinee is $7.50 (a bit steep, but I can deal)

Their cousin used a gift card he got for Christmas, so that wasn't bad. I bought 3 tickets ($22.50)

2- Knowing the prices were going to be outrageous at the concession stand, we stopped into Walmart before the movie and everyone got a box of movie candy (a ONE DOLLAR a piece) :thumbsup2

But then they each wanted a drink, so since I had a gift card with $9.50 on it I got them each a SMALL soda. When the cashier said to me......."that'll be $16.50" WHAT??? $16.50 FOR 3 SMALL SODAS?????

I mean really, I know they're out to make a buck, just like everyone else....but why the outrageous prices? Then I looked at the prices of the movie candy that I just paid a dollar for and they wanted $3.50

Then a cute little couple of kids came in (think they might have been on date) and the boy ordered a popcorn and a soda for them to split. Well, I guess it was a special "combo" snack for $14.75.....

I know prices on everything are expensive these days but it just seems like these prices are off the wall and totally uncalled for. Wha'ts the going rate for your movies/concession?

I also went to the movies today to see Grown Ups.

Cost $16.50 for an adult ticket. I would love a ticket to cost 7.50 - even cheap tuesday isn't that cheap here in Australia!!

For a small popcorn and souvenir Toy Story cup (small) it was around $11

Ours isn't that bad. A loyalty card is available--when dd and I went to see Toy Story 3 in 3D last week, I had earned two free tickets and a free combo of popcorn and two drinks. So, that trip didn't cost me a dime. Movies in 3D are normally $9 per person--it costs less for the regular theaters.

The theater also offers refillable popcorn buckets. For $26, you can get a popcorn bucket that is refillable for 6 months. Since we go to the movies quite a bit, it's a good deal for us. A large drink is $3.50 and is refillable for that particular visit. In theory, you could get a small drink which costs less and just go back to refill it but I hate leaving the theater once the movie's started so I pony up the extra $1.

I've lived in a town without competing movie theaters and that's where the prices were the worst.

Their job is to price everything so that they honor their overriding obligations to their owners. Your jobs is to assess what they're offering and the price they're offering it at, and decide whether it is worthwhile to you. If so, then patronize them; if not, do without what they're offering. If you pay the prices, then they're not outrageous.

And more than enough folks pay the prices.

As it is, movie theaters are a sucky business to be in. People have these huge televisions at home, that are crystal clear, and they only have to wait a bit to see everything that movie theaters offer, in the privacy and often greater comfort of their own homes, now. They've even got better 3D at home than they've got in the theaters. So without the high prices, it really wouldn't be worth having a movie theater at all.

And remember, the movie theater has to give most of the ticket revenue back to the studio. During opening week, up to 80% of the money goes directly back to the folks who put up the money to make the movie in the first place. It drops from there, but of course that week is the week that the theaters are full. So the concession is a major contributor to whether these places are going to make money.

I say be done with them all. Unless they're offering IMAX-sized screens, then why bother? I can set up a much better viewing experience at home; I can pause the movie when we need to use the rest room, instead of her having to miss a portion of the film; and we even get subtitles so my wife can actually understand the words being said.

I can't wait until they allow cable companies to present new releases via pay-per-view. :happytv:

Simple solution.................Stay Home-Don't go to the Movies

If no one went they would be forced to lower the prices.

I have not been to the movies in almost 2 years, I use to go every week but now I am on a fixed income and it is a luxury I do not allow myself.

I remember when the movies cost 35 cents, you could get a bag full of penny candy at the corner store to take with you and devil dogs were 5 cents

I paid $9 (AMC) to see Shrek 4 on IMAX 3D, though it's the A.M. Cinema time.

we don't go that often to the movies, but when we do I either go to a matinee ($6)or I buy passes which reduces the price a little (I can get a pack of 5 passes for $30). I always bring my own snacks and drinks, I let the kids get a small popcorn which I think is $4.50. they know I won't buy them soda or candy at the movies....it's too much money!

Simple solution.................Stay Home-Don't go to the Movies
:thumbsup2

If no one went they would be forced to lower the prices.
Or close down. For most places, probably the latter. But that's okay: If they're not providing a service folks want enough, then let 'em go under.

I remember when the movies cost 35 cents, you could get a bag full of penny candy at the corner store to take with you and devil dogs were 5 cents
I remember 15 cent hamburgers. I remember paying $285 per month for rent. I remember paying 18 cents for a first-class stamp.

Of course, I also remember paying $600 to fly to Florida, back then, so not everything has gone steeply up in price.

OP I agree it is ridiculous. My DH took 2 of our kids to the movies recently and it cost around $60-70.:scared1: All the kids got was a small popcorn, small soda and a piece of candy. It cost $40 at the concession stand for that. We all want to see Toy Story 3 and I can only imagine how much that is going to cost. I think it is highway robbery. I used to work at a movie theatre in college. They said they get most of their revenue from concession that is why the price is so high. I did recently find out though that Costco sells movie tickets for cheaper than the theatre. They are for one of our local theatres and they are a few dollars cheaper.

I don't eat/drink at the movie theatre. Tickets here are about $7.50 each. Two people can get in to a movie (non3d) for $15.00 with no snacks. I can survive a two hour movie without eating and drinking, so I see no need to pay outrageous prices for candy and soda.

I agree. We very rarely go to the movies. The only movies we see in theatres are Pixar and just a couple of the Disney movies. I'll wait to Redbox or Netflix everything else.

When we go to a movie, we get nothing to eat or drink. I refuse to pay for overpriced theatre food. We're sitting there for only a couple of hours anyway, so snacks aren't a necessity. I'm in the minority with this thought because it seems everyone gets jumbo popcorns and sodas. What we do is go out to grab a snack or meal after the movie at a fraction of a cost I would have spent during the movie.

It's not only the price of the tickets that keep me away from movies. It's the people. More and more, I get frustrated with people's behavior--the texting, talking, not removing crying babies, spilling stuff everywhere so the floor is sticky and icky, etc. I'm much more comfortable watching a movie in the comfort of my own home and with my own snacks.

I agree with Sparx and Pixiedust: I don't eat/drink at movies. I actually find it distracting. And I'm with Bicker on the home theater experience. It's more fun to watch movies in our mancave than to go the theater. We probably go out for movies once-twice per year.:)

Our theater has a special that any movie between 4-6 is only $5 so if we go, we go then. The kids go a lot, us not very often mainly because there just haven't been any movies that we really want to see. We will probably go to Toy Story this weekend though. We don't buy concessions, they are just ridiculous.

One of our local movie complexes did shut down not too long ago. It made me very sad, as I spent a lot of my young adult life in that movie theater.:sad1:

I know that the majority of the profits made are made at the concession stand, not from ticket sales. I agree everything is expensive, but I can't watch a movie without pop and popcorn. And our theater has a strict no outside food policy. I would feel horrible trying to sneak some in, knowing that the money I spend on concessions probably helps the theater stay in business. We don't need to loose any more jobs in Michigan.

I can't remember the last movie we went to see at a theater. A local community shows first run (late in the cycle) movies on their "green" every Friday and Saturday night during the summer. It's only $4 and you can bring your own drinks and food.

My family goes to the movies almost weekly. It's almost always a maitinee for 5.00 if not I use free movie tickets that I get from the loyalty program or free with cereal purchase etc whatever I can find.

I don't buy food there I bring it in. I refuse to pay 4.00 for a bottle of water. The prices are outrageous.

We have a great TV and all movies are nice at home but DBF like all the action movies and wants to see them in IMAX so for 5.00 it's worth that.

Lisa

Theaters are starting to crack down on folks bringing in their own food.
A spokesman for AMC Entertainment of Missouri said the company has decided to ban patrons from bringing outside food into its cinemas. ... did not comment on the company's reasons for the move, but the theater chain has recently experienced declining revenue and drops in concession sales, the Star reported.
LINK

They're clearly between a rock and a hard place: If the prices are too high, then people won't buy the food. If the prices are too low, then they aren't going to make enough profit to justify operating the theater.

At our local theater it's $5 for the before 6:00 matinees so if we go to the movies, we go at that time. But I honestly can't even remember the last movie we saw at the theater. I don't mind paying $5 to see a movie, and I don't even mind (too much) paying for the popcorn/pop combo because our theater gives free refills and we always take advantage of that.

But.

I'm sick of the noise in the theater. People talking/whispering, and don't even get me started on their stupid cell phones. :headache:

The last movie I went to (but I don't remember what it was) there were TWO other people in the theater besides me. A guy sitting way down in front, me in the very back row (I always try for the back row as I hate having people behind me who won't shut up) and a girl a few rows down on my right. She played with her cell phone the entire time. :mad:

I'm tired of all that crap, so we watch Netflix movies in the comfort of our own home, on our big screen TV with surround sound, our own homemade popcorn/snacks/pop, and can pause it if the phone rings or we need a potty break. :goodvibes

I will not be surprised when indoor movie theaters go the way of drive-in movie theaters.

This is why I rarely go. The discount theater is too far and if I had no plans to see it when it opened, I jus don't bother. I went into a discount place once in Atlanta with family and while my kids enjoyed it and it didn't hurt my wallet--the place was filthy. And we were the first movie of the day!!

I'm a wait until netflix kind of gal. We only go to the movies when it wi be worth our investment. Toy Story 3----worth every penny. My hubby goes to see the big movies that are more enjoyable to him with that theater quality sound. For now, the price of the ticket and his popcorn is oodles cheaper than doing a fully equipped theater room.

YMMV!

FWIW--ticket sales usually cover the movie and concessions cover the operating costs and profits of the theater. We did a field trip once.
That equipment isn't cheap. I know that isn't your concern.

But what is interesting from an economics perspective...movie houses do very well in down times.

They did so during the Great Depression and they are doing so now. Contrary to the appearance of the sticker price, it is still a pretty inexpensive way to be entertained when compared to live theater or theme parks...or for here, the zoo.

The key I think is the quality of the movie. From what I heard, Grown Uos wasn't that great and I believe that your overall opinion of the movie is going to influence your decision.

In the future---to save on soda costs...I suggest an empty drinking container and hitting the water fountain.

We go for the experience and are very careful in our movie selections so that it was neither a waste of our money or a waste of our time. My mom thought it was pricy in the 80s, so we didn't go all of the time. At least now,
it is a very short window for the movie to hit the after market channels and you can enjoy it in your home for a fraction of the cost.

Theaters are starting to crack down on folks bringing in their own food.

LINK

They're clearly between a rock and a hard place: If the prices are too high, then people won't buy the food. If the prices are too low, then they aren't going to make enough profit to justify operating the theater.

Of course concession sales are dropping their prices are outrageous.
Most of the candy seems to be about 400% higher than a grocery store and the grocery store is making a profit on it so lets guess it's a 500% markup for. Then we can talk about popcorn, we all know how cheap that is to make. Soda is pennies for the syrup and water. They are getting advertising fees for the printed popcorn bags.

I don't think they are hurting at all.

Unless they are going to start searching people it's going to be difficult to know if they are bringing food in.

Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter