The real reason for Daily Room Checks?

Stayed @ the Poly when the room check policy was first implemented in December 2017. They came to the room once since housekeeping had not gained access the day before. Yes well if you forgot to remove the room occupied sign when you left in the morning and didn't return until late afternoon you might be surprised the room wasn't cleaned for a second or two before sheepishly bringing the sign back in. The gentleman clearly said he was there for a security check. He came and left within one minute and it was over.

Never had any pizza fliers left under our door @ Poly or GF.
We secure our c/cs with a wallet with security features built in.
Never seen any dogs or evidence of them at WDW since the policy was changed to allow some resorts to welcome them.

Hi everyone,

In trying to decide whether or not to travel to Disney World this year, we were concerned about the experience of staying onsite at WDW. After reading the forum, it sounds like the daily room checks are because of the new law being implemented for no tolerance of human trafficking. We love our privacy (who wants to be walked in on while sleeping or showering or be awoken from a desperately-needed nap midday?) but understand security has to play an active role in preventing this terrible problem if possible. We're just wondering what a 2-week vacation there will actually be like now. Is the human trafficking so prevalent in FL that a vacation can't be enjoyed anymore? That along with the thieves/scammers who come to the rooms to try to break in and/or leave their pizza flyers everywhere to steal your CC info & the dogs being allowed to poop everywhere & go in the restaurants, etc.??? We would love a Disney vacation & love the nostalgia of past ones, but have times changed so much in the last few years that it's impossible to enjoy one anymore? Would love to hear everyone's advice! TIA!
I was in WDW the end of Jan thru early Feb. Stayed at the Polynesian, DVC, and then over to OKW. At the Polynesian, I didn't have the 'room occupied' hanger, so I made my own, and hung that out when I was in my room. I wasn't bothered once. On the second day, housekeeping left a 'room occupied' hanger for me....and it was gone on my last morning! I was never in the room when the 'trash' people came. Am I concerned about my 'valuables'? No. First, I don't travel with valuables. If I did, I would use the safe. If the safe wasn't going to be safe enough, I would take my stuff down to the front desk and have them store it in the safe there. I have never, ever had an issue with anything going missing. In fact, my dd once left her ipod in her bed. Realized it after we had arrived in the park. Figured that wasn't going to be there when we got back...but, there it was, arranged in the 'hands' of my dd's stuffed animal, on the made bed! But, I digress. At OKW, I was there, in the room, just once when they knocked on the door. They came in, apologized for disturbing me, and quickly removed the trash, and left.
When I'm in my room, the 'room occupied' hanger is out (it wasn't out the one time they knocked on the door....it was the middle of the day and I was just hanging out in my room for a bit), and the safety latch is used. No one is going to just come into my room. When I return to my room, the first thing I do is use that safety/security latch. It's always used.

As for theives/scammers coming to rooms? Nope, never had an issue. Yes, my cc was hacked once at WDW, but I have no idea who did it....it never came out of my bag, not once. It now is in an RFID envelope..it wasn't then! Dogs pooping everywhere? Please. I was at BWV for Irma...I wasn't able to get home prior to the storm. There were dogs everywhere. Yes, they were where there was food, and I was very unhappy about it. But, I never saw poop anywhere! And now? I've been to WDW three times (total of 26 days) since Irma....I've never seen a dog at a resort, much less dog poop. And I certainly haven't seen one in a restaurant.
For the life of me, I can't understand why people choose to believe all the bad stuff they see, and ignore the good. You have to remember that people are much more likely to post negative things. Those that had good experiences seldom get home and get online and post about it.

Let’s be honest. “Enjoyable” is a relative term. They might come to my room and do a security check and I’ll say “man, that was a bummer they woke me up from my nap. Oh well.” And someone else might say “this completely ruined my vacation being woke from a nap”

If you’re in that second category, maybe it’s time to just stay home. Because it seems like it’s becoming a norm at many hotels, all around, based on this thread.

Personally, I get why people are upset if they are truly “barging in” as some have implied. But, realistically would I let it ruin my trip? Uh, no. Life’s 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.
If anything can be learned this is the most valuable of all.

I was in WDW the end of Jan thru early Feb. Stayed at the Polynesian, DVC, and then over to OKW. At the Polynesian, I didn't have the 'room occupied' hanger, so I made my own, and hung that out when I was in my room. I wasn't bothered once. On the second day, housekeeping left a 'room occupied' hanger for me....and it was gone on my last morning! I was never in the room when the 'trash' people came. Am I concerned about my 'valuables'? No. First, I don't travel with valuables. If I did, I would use the safe. If the safe wasn't going to be safe enough, I would take my stuff down to the front desk and have them store it in the safe there. I have never, ever had an issue with anything going missing. In fact, my dd once left her ipod in her bed. Realized it after we had arrived in the park. Figured that wasn't going to be there when we got back...but, there it was, arranged in the 'hands' of my dd's stuffed animal, on the made bed! But, I digress. At OKW, I was there, in the room, just once when they knocked on the door. They came in, apologized for disturbing me, and quickly removed the trash, and left.
When I'm in my room, the 'room occupied' hanger is out (it wasn't out the one time they knocked on the door....it was the middle of the day and I was just hanging out in my room for a bit), and the safety latch is used. No one is going to just come into my room. When I return to my room, the first thing I do is use that safety/security latch. It's always used.

As for theives/scammers coming to rooms? Nope, never had an issue. Yes, my cc was hacked once at WDW, but I have no idea who did it....it never came out of my bag, not once. It now is in an RFID envelope..it wasn't then! Dogs pooping everywhere? Please. I was at BWV for Irma...I wasn't able to get home prior to the storm. There were dogs everywhere. Yes, they were where there was food, and I was very unhappy about it. But, I never saw poop anywhere! And now? I've been to WDW three times (total of 26 days) since Irma....I've never seen a dog at a resort, much less dog poop. And I certainly haven't seen one in a restaurant.
For the life of me, I can't understand why people choose to believe all the bad stuff they see, and ignore the good. You have to remember that people are much more likely to post negative things. Those that had good experiences seldom get home and get online and post about it.
Or why choose to believe 100% of the bad stuff period. Ever stopped to think people on the Internet might just be stretching the truth, a lot? Because believe me, it happens all the time. So on top of seeing only negative postings you have bandwagoners who say, yeah, happened here too, or even worse, the one uppers who have to have a worse story to post so they embellish what happened to them some (mountain out of the ant hill types). I know some of the instances that have been reported are less the pleasant but I honestly doubt 100% of them happened. Sorry, but that's how I see it. As to why someone would post something that didn't happen, I have no idea. Other than just to do the 2 things I mentioned already, to join the bandwagon or one up someone else.

Or why choose to believe 100% of the bad stuff period. Ever stopped to think people on the Internet might just be stretching the truth, a lot? Because believe me, it happens all the time. So on top of seeing only negative postings you have bandwagoners who say, yeah, happened here too, or even worse, the one uppers who have to have a worse story to post so they embellish what happened to them some (mountain out of the ant hill types). I know some of the instances that have been reported are less the pleasant but I honestly doubt 100% of them happened. Sorry, but that's how I see it. As to why someone would post something that didn't happen, I have no idea. Other than just to do the 2 things I mentioned already, to join the bandwagon or one up someone else.

And I can't understand why there are those who continue to downplay the experiences of others. While it is true that some do make up stories there have been far too many reported instances of "security gone wild" to all be embellished.
Everyone, absolutely everyone has a different level of toleration to being disturbed. For some it may be nothing more than a blip in the day, for others it is a dreadful annoyance, and for some it can be the difference between an enjoyable day and one that is ruined because they couldn't rest or were disturbed when doing so. It isn't a bandwagon when some find it far too intrusive anymore than it is someone jumping on the "bandwagon" when they report that they were not disturbed at all by security. Do you doubt as well those who say their vacations were not impacted by security checks ? Funny because I don't see you suggesting that these people must also be embellishing.
Perhaps it is easier to throw out "embellishing" when one doesn't agree with the basic premise of another's viewpoint !

My understanding is the room checks is related to the Vegas shooting and at least a random check particularly if/when housecleaning is denied to make sure something isn't up.

If anything the room checks may have to do with some of the "over occupancy" issues of people sneaking in extra people over the room limits. Back in the day apparently, Disney did this when it had just opened and people would sneak like 8 people into a single hotel room. Given how often we read about can I sneak in an extra person on air mattress, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of it.

We have health issues that if we're "scared" out of a nap, it has bad physical effects that are difficult to recover from. We don't want to give up on life. We don't see it as an "either or" situation that we give up Disney & never go anywhere. We can choose renting a house at the beach for relaxation instead. There are many other options than giving up going on vacation anywhere. My husband is a double transplant patient & we went a few years after his transplants & had a wonderful time. But that meant going back to the room midday to rest, nap & refresh ourselves before going back to the parks for the rest of the day. From what I'm hearing about people's naps being rudely interrupted (which for some is hard to recover from), it may not be that this is the vacation for us anymore. I wanted to hear reports/actual experiences so we could make an informed decision. Not just having people tell us you shouldn't ever go on a vacation again. But thanks anyway....

But it also doesn't have to be an either or situation with Disney either, if you think you will still enjoy the parks, Disney Springs and other Disney experiences. If you are concerned about the daily room checks if staying at a WDW resort, there are plenty of private home rentals around Orlando where you can stay and drive to/from the parks each day. It may be slightly longer commute times, but people do it every day, and are still able to do afternoon breaks and enjoy their Disney vacation. We all need to make the choices that work best for our particular circumstances, there are plenty of ways to have an amazing Disney vacation without staying on Disney property! For DH and I, we don't find the room checks intrusive at all, and we have stayed on property during them, but we have different circumstances, and WDW vacations, with on property stays still work well for our needs.

I'm happy that people are sharing their experience with these "room checks"- both good and bad. We need to hear from those that are at WDW about actual experiences. I believe both sides- those with good experiences and bad. Why else are we on the DIS- we need to believe others who have knowledge and experience that we want to learn from. I think they are ridiculous and intrusive but I'm hoping that Disney gets their act together so I can stay onsite. We're at the Hard Rock Hotel at Universal right now. It is heavenly! Never a knock on the door unless it's someone we have requested like bell services or room service. Our room is clean every day- twice as we are on the club level and get daily turn down service. Our toiletries (individual bottles) are stocked generously each day as well as lots of towels. I'm not making this up to backlash Disney resorts- just reporting my actual experience here.

And I can't understand why there are those who continue to downplay the experiences of others. While it is true that some do make up stories there have been far too many reported instances of "security gone wild" to all be embellished.
Everyone, absolutely everyone has a different level of toleration to being disturbed. For some it may be nothing more than a blip in the day, for others it is a dreadful annoyance, and for some it can be the difference between an enjoyable day and one that is ruined because they couldn't rest or were disturbed when doing so. It isn't a bandwagon when some find it far too intrusive anymore than it is someone jumping on the "bandwagon" when they report that they were not disturbed at all by security. Do you doubt as well those who say their vacations were not impacted by security checks ? Funny because I don't see you suggesting that these people must also be embellishing.
Perhaps it is easier to throw out "embellishing" when one doesn't agree with the basic premise of another's viewpoint !
Because in this case the OP is bothered by the trend of all the negative information coming out, so I was addressing only the negative side of things. And honestly, those not bothered are really not posting anything. So it's sort of hard to doubt something not posted, no?

And I'm positive I never said all reports were embellished. Positive I said the opposite of that. Positive I said that I believe there have been instances of less than pleasant trips due to the checks. I will not back down off the fact that I do not believe 100% of the reports as they are reported, verbatim. Sorry, I don't have enough faith in my fellow humans to believe them all the time. I've lived too long for that.

Well said & THANK YOU Luckybee for your empathy!

As I understand it, "human trafficking" as it pertains to a hotel involves a woman being used as a prostitute, against her will, in given hotel X. Hotel X is almost always a cheap, sleazy, out-of-the-way place. There is no way on earth the men controlling these women would set up in Disney hotels. I would have to think Disney would know that. I would thus think the room checks are not about this issue. Just my opinion.

Human trafficking, or exploitation, can also happen with "domestic servants" - such as childcare and assistants for the disabled. Not so common, but completely within the territory of trafficking as well.

It can be a completely invisible activity unless you are well-versed in body language and psychological triggers - how people respond to questions, how they respond to their plans being changed, how independently the members of a group can move about (does the Head of Household always carry all passports of ALL party members, even adult ones, is a small example), etc. And even then, depending on how co-dependent the family is on each other, that might not be a red flag... the act of trafficking requires the ruse of all participants to appear exactly as normal as possible.

Lots of good info here, though this is a provincially-based website, all the FAQ is still true: http://www.actalberta.org/about-trafficking/

For someone trying to escape this, the very separation of themselves from society is a massive obstacle - if you were checked into a hotel and it looked all good, like you were Sister #4 in the ________ Family Reunion Trip, how will you convince yourself that you should "grab the family's pool towels, but instead, dash into the front lobby and try to explain your situation to a CM" (maybe the same one who checked you in!) while your captors are well, right on your heels? Nobody WANTS to believe that the story is anything more than, "Sister had a few too many drinks at the pool bar, hahaha, have a nice day!"

Annnnnnnnnnnnd there is that percentage of traffickers that just need the fancy date or expensive gift to "show how they aren't like that" - they have to reel the victims in with the money-spending because that is what lures potential victims into thinking that they can be protected and provided for. Hence why young teenage girls who have insanely lavish gifts given to them by their older boyfriends is a red flag by many parents... ;)

While planning my 2017 trip, I truly struggled with the mental obstacle of "Going to Orlando on Vacation", knowing a LOT about the poverty in the city, the family homelessness situation and the trafficking going all around the Bubble, but I decided to put that out of my mind and try to enjoy my family vacation. I kept all my "street smarts" about me, and had no issues, but I was well-informed and aware and that's half the battle right?

I don't like how they are implementing the room checks, but I understand how to keep my family as undisturbed as possible during our relatively short stay there, and do NOT decline Mousekeeping! I am happy to help them combat human trafficking in any form... Although I know this is a liability response, I certainly shudder at the idea of Disney being used as a cover and therefore "included" in someone's mental anguish... it's supposed to be the most Magical Place on Earth!

Last edited:
But it also doesn't have to be an either or situation with Disney either, if you think you will still enjoy the parks, Disney Springs and other Disney experiences. If you are concerned about the daily room checks if staying at a WDW resort, there are plenty of private home rentals around Orlando where you can stay and drive to/from the parks each day. It may be slightly longer commute times, but people do it every day, and are still able to do afternoon breaks and enjoy their Disney vacation. We all need to make the choices that work best for our particular circumstances, there are plenty of ways to have an amazing Disney vacation without staying on Disney property! For DH and I, we don't find the room checks intrusive at all, and we have stayed on property during them, but we have different circumstances, and WDW vacations, with on property stays still work well for our needs.
And here is wonderful, construction advice that may work for us! Thank you!

Absolutely! I agree I seldom believe all the bad stuff I see posted. I imagine that a lot of it is exaggerated. Sure, some less than wonderful stuff happens, but if you listen to what some people say, it's unsafe to walk out your door each day!!! And staying in a hotel room is just asking for trouble! I look at what people say, then try to decide what I can live with.
That whole housekeeping/trash issue? Yes, I'm one of those that always hung the 'privacy please' hanger out...every day. I didn't/don't need fresh towels every day. I don't need my bed made, and I don't need new toiletries. I prefer to have no one in my room when I'm not there. I also always use the security lock on the door. It's going to be hard to get into my room without my knowing it, if I'm in there!!! I prefer to just let them in, then go about my business. It hasn't been an issue yet. I've heard from people that left the latches open, while they're showering, because a family member was outside the room and would need to get back in, and then a housekeeper came barging in, while the guest was in the bathroom. Could this have happened? Maybe. But, it sure isn't going to stop me from going to WDW.
Why do people embellish, or worse yet, post something that didn't happen? Attention grabbers. Some people like to be the focal point, even if it's strangers on an internet board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter