• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

the Red Hat Society

I always think it's funny that the original poem was about doing whatever you wanted to and not worrying about conforming to expectations (ergo the red hat with purple).... and yet here they all are wearing exactly the same thing!

That said, my mom joined recently, and while it is mostly about being silly and having fun, she is getting out with other women.... and having fun!

I've always wondered about this group, and a few days ago when I was in Boston there was a large group waiting to use the restroom in Copley Place. If/When I'm older, that is something I can really see myself doing! It just looks like a fun group of older women getting together, going out, shopping...hey, what could be better?!?! My sister and I both think my grandma should definitely to join!

TalkisCheap said:
I've always wondered about this group, and a few days ago when I was in Boston there was a large group waiting to use the restroom in Copley Place. If/When I'm older, that is something I can really see myself doing! It just looks like a fun group of older women getting together, going out, shopping...hey, what could be better?!?! My sister and I both think my grandma should definitely to join!

I think this is a lovely idea, as well. Something fabulous to look forward to when I turn the big 5-0!

We have them come in where I work a lot, looking for red hats. It seems like a bunch of older ladies getting out and having fun. :)

I think it would be fun, it's just like a 'live' DIS but with some differences.

1. purple and red---lime green

2. out and about---not sitting and staring (at monitor)

3. more expensive(shopping)---FREE

I am getting up to the age,(for now it would be pink and lavander) maybe I'll have to search for some here!! :rotfl:

A few weeks ago I was driving by the local fire station, and some Red Hat ladies were visiting. Several of them were down on the ground, while two of them were up in a cherry-picker with the firemen!!!! It was hysterical - I drove into the parking lot and honked my horn at them, and they waved from above. The children were mortified but I loved it!!!

there was a group of them on 'taste of america' on the travel channel last night. i was wondering what they were...

they were making this really yummy looking bread pudding and made the host an honorary red hat lady.

RobinMarie said:
When I searched for chapters in my area, there were TONS. Some of the names sounded pretty Barbie-style but others were witty. I would think each chapter is different. Any group that celebrates the contributions of women and sisterhood is ok in my book! I'm not old enough to be a red hat, but I seem to qualify for the pink hat. It looks like a FABULOUS group to be part of as you prepare to turn 50!

::yes::

Each group can be very different--whatever suits! One of the groups around here is very staid & a snore, another, ages 50 to 93, is rollicking. Yes, we do tea. the red hats & purple theme is to denote we are celebrating freeing ourselves of superficial 'shoulds"; ie one should never wear a red hat & purple dress. Greeting age with laughter & enthusiasm!
the very loose structure is appealing. No big social statement, just over 50, working, or worked hard; & am having some laughs with friends.
Like WDW it is what you make it!

Red Hat & All
Jean

That said, my mom joined recently, and while it is mostly about being silly and having fun, she is getting out with other women.... and having fun!

That seems to be "it"...........you are at an age (60/70/80?) and you gather amongst fellow senior ladies such as yourself (remember, we live longer when we are more social) and tell the world "I am who I am and I don't give a rats A$$ what you think"............sounds good to me. Social activities, etc.
I am getting there !! (next year I will be the grand 50)................
I would not mind joining. :banana: ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter