The remarkable staying power of the DISboard

I lurked on year for a few years and finally joined in 2002 while researching for a Disney Cruise. Met alot of really awesome people and had alot of laughs over the years.

I joined the DIS in March 2001, as I was planning my first WDW trip after becoming a DVC owner in 2000. These boards have been a great source of information and entertainment over the years. Like many of you, I've been around long enough to remember Richyams' legendary and hilarious posts, the debate board (wild at times!), tags, and differences in the appearance of the boards. As someone else mentioned previously, the staying power of the DIS has a lot to do with the excellent job done by the moderators. Overall, the boards are a pretty friendly place. :-)
I'm Rich's wife and it's been a few years since I've been on these boards. So cool to see that Rich continues to bring smiles and laughter to everyone here.

Got me curious - looks like Dec 2003, 18+ years. Mostly reading, occasionally contributing, rarely popping off. 😉

I think there are two things about the DIS that have contributed greatly to the success.

One is the no-nonsense posting guidelines. No politics (relaxed somewhat occasionally), no stupidity, none of those contests where everybody gets wet. Wanna fight? Go elsewhere.

And equally important, IMHO, is the moderators. They simply do an amazing job.

I have run afoul of both a time or two over the years, but if you want to know what makes this place work -- those are the two most important factors to me.

We have a great bunch of people here, but they have stayed here in large part because of the civility of the boards.

I second all of this. Plus the existence of the CB, where we can talk anything. I've spent time on other travel forums but they tend to be either over-moderated to the point of getting repetitive or being useless beyond a certain point because off topic content isn't allowed, or under-moderated to the point where nastiness and trolling make them hard places to feel welcome.

This is actually my second DIS account - I first joined while planning a "once in a lifetime" trip in '05, then lost that logon info and access to the email I registered with (lesson learned about using an ISP-connected email address!), so I created this account when we started planning our second trip. And I've been here ever since. I don't spend much time on the WDW boards any more because we don't go back as often and I'm beyond striving for planning perfection; I'm just here on the CB and occasionally on the DLR or foreign parks boards when I'm planning something specific.

In 2004, like so many others, I came here when planning a second cruise. I was undergoing medical treatment for much of the year, so had more time than usual on my hands, and needed a distraction to boot. I thought it was pretty cool to be able to talk to people from not only other parts of the USA, but from other parts of the world. I always learned so much from everyone, and had fun. Getting to know people here and becoming part of the community made me stay. It’s home.

Also 2006 for me. - DS was 5, and it was his first "big" Disney trip. (Before that, he had only been to MK for a day while visiting relatives as a toddler.) I don't remember the first question I asked, but I've been here ever since, and enjoy hanging out on the Community Board even when I don't have a trip in the works.

I sometimes refer to the DIS as "the font of all knowledge" - whatever your question is, somebody knows and is glad to help. :goodvibes (And it feels good to help others as well!)

Plus, it was a social lifeline during the early months of Covid!

Your last sentence hit home with me too.

In 2004, like so many others, I came here when planning a second cruise. I was undergoing medical treatment for much of the year, so had more time than usual on my hands, and needed a distraction to boot. I thought it was pretty cool to be able to talk to people from not only other parts of the USA, but from other parts of the world. I always learned so much from everyone, and had fun. Getting to know people here and becoming part of the community made me stay. It’s home.

Hear! Hear! to HERE :goodvibes

I became a member here May 2000. Lurked for awhile. I remember Rich. Loved his posts. We were one of the first DVC members, 1991. OKW will always be home.
i don’t post much anymore but I do read a lot.
I agree, the Dis has staying power. It has changed over the years but still a great place for Disney fans.

I'm Rich's wife and it's been a few years since I've been on these boards. So cool to see that Rich continues to bring smiles and laughter to everyone here.
Glad you posted. I am a BWV lover!

I joined in 2003 when we bought into DVC. I’ve met many friends here and in “3D” as PIO is fond of saying.

I arrived in 2005, a few months after my mom passed away, I got divorced, and I temporarily moved back to Orlando and started working for the parks again. I was searching for community after so many changes back to back. Everyone was really supportive then, and especially in August of that year when my plans to return to New Orleans were torpedoed by Hurricane Katrina. A lot has changed since then (and I FINALLY moved back to NOLA in 2018), and I tend to disappear for long periods of time. But I always make my way back, because this place does feel like a little bit of home.

Twenty years ago I ran a forum so I know first hand how much work goes into building a forum, developing a community, and keeping the conversation going.

it blows my mind that the disboards has continued to thrive for so many years. I like forums so have dipped my toes in many other Disney forums as well as forums for my other interests, and the Dis ranks near the top. It’s not quite as crazy active as before - I am sure Facebook groups have bitten off a huge chunk of the pie - but it still remains a fantastic source of info. And I can see the work going into building up the forums again.

Huge kudos goes to the folks behind the scenes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter