The Rumor Tracking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martin at wdwmagic is saying that Rise of the Resistance could be reskinned for a original trilogy look. Nothing decided yet but being talked about reportedly.
Wait .. What? Why is this even a rumor right now just after it opened?

Is "Sequel Trilogy" Rise of the Resistance not doing well that this would even be a rumor?

This feels more like "armchair imagineering" from a Star Wars fan than a rumor. I can't see Disney even thinking about re-skinning it so soon.

So is this telling us that the First Order IS defeated in IX .. and they don't know what to do with a ride (and land) that would be "stuck" between Episodes VII

Has Disney painted themselves in a corner with picking the Sequel Trilogy for Galaxy's Edge? I mean .. creating a whole land set in the MIDDLE of the current trilogy timeline is weird.

I mean .. when I went there .. I couldn't help but think how this land is going to feel AFTER episode IX if something major happens to any of the characters that currently walk around the land. If the land "progresses" with the movie plotline -- that would be fun. But if it doesn't and the land is "stuck" somewhere between Episode VII and IX, won't people be confused why they are seeing Kylo Ren walk around if he was recently killed in IX? (not a spoiler, just throwing out a scenario). Will "Rise of the Resistance' make sense if The Resistance wins and the First Order (and every storm trooper) is wiped out?

Wait .. What? Why is this even a rumor right now just after it opened?

Is "Sequel Trilogy" Rise of the Resistance not doing well that this would even be a rumor?

This feels more like "armchair imagineering" from a Star Wars fan than a rumor. I can't see Disney even thinking about re-skinning it so soon.

So is this telling us that the First Order IS defeated in IX .. and they don't know what to do with a ride (and land) that would be "stuck" between Episodes VII

Has Disney painted themselves in a corner with picking the Sequel Trilogy for Galaxy's Edge? I mean .. creating a whole land set in the MIDDLE of the current trilogy timeline is weird.

I mean .. when I went there .. I couldn't help but think how this land is going to feel AFTER episode IX if something major happens to any of the characters that currently walk around the land. If the land "progresses" with the movie plotline -- that would be fun. But if it doesn't and the land is "stuck" somewhere between Episode VII and IX, won't people be confused why they are seeing Kylo Ren walk around if he was recently killed in IX? (not a spoiler, just throwing out a scenario). Will "Rise of the Resistance' make sense if The Resistance wins and the First Order (and every storm trooper) is wiped out?
It is strange. Like I mentioned nothing has been decided yet but it’s being discussed. This one is definitely a wait and see I think. I’d be very surprised if they did this so quickly.

Why?
California or Florida or both?

Martin hasn’t stated exactly why there. But from other info, it would be for both and Paris built with it from the start. It’s a backup plan depending on reception for Episode 9 among other factors. Possible does not mean it’s even likely.

It is strange. Like I mentioned nothing has been decided yet but it’s being discussed. This one is definitely a wait and see I think. I’d be very surprised if they did this so quickly.
From a budget perspective it sounds very curious.

I can maybe understand California changing it before it's finished to help differentiate it from Florida.

Martin hasn’t stated exactly why there. But from other info, it would be for both and Paris built with it from the start. It’s a backup plan depending on reception for Episode 9 among other factors. Possible does not mean it’s even likely.
Paris makes sense.

That doesn't bode well for the movie if there is a rumor that an attraction based the sequel trilogy is looking to be reskinned.

So is Disney realizing the Sequel Trilogy didn't work out like they expected and going back to the well in the original trilogy? OR is it just news that the ride plans can be "re-skinned" when put into a NEW park, then that makes sense. Maybe another park would prefer an original trilogy land instead of the sequel land.

I like parts of the sequel trilogy .. rewatched Episode VII last night and it is just a fun movie, though I'd say the Mandalorian is doing more to hype me up for Episode IX than anything else. Feels that Disney has definitely taken down their promotion of IX down a few notches compared to VII and VIII. Toy selection non-existant, no big "takeovers" of stores like Target (like they had with Last Jedi) .. the trailers came way too close to release ..

Martin at wdwmagic is saying that Rise of the Resistance could be reskinned for a original trilogy look. Nothing decided yet but being talked about reportedly.

Wow, that is one of the last things I would ever expect to read here. The whole land is designed about the timeline of the new trilogy .... Maybe like decades down the road, or if they could do it as a seasonal overlay or something

Would be kinda neat if they reskinned just one of the parks - so they are different and then people can sort of pick which one they want to experience. Maybe have the Original Park (Disneyland) have the original trilogy

Easy enough to shift the Falcon ride to be set in original Trilogy and could make the whole land be Tatooine with out *that* much change

Feels that Disney has definitely taken down their promotion of IX down a few notches compared to VII and VIII. Toy selection non-existant, no big "takeovers" of stores like Target (like they had with Last Jedi)
One of the biggest concerns and part of why they weren’t ready with more Mandalorian merchandise is that the sequels are not selling the merchandise as well as the other films. They toned it down because it wasn’t selling.

One of the biggest concerns and part of why they weren’t ready with more Mandalorian merchandise is that the sequels are not selling the merchandise as well as the other films. They toned it down because it wasn’t selling.
I wouldn't say it wasn't selling. I think they just just overproduced it and oversaturated it with the Last Jedi, had a mediocre movie that didn't really have any "sellable" characters besides the Porgs and then Solo came out 4 months later. So stores were glutted with Star Wars merch in a 6 month period.
Oversaturation by far. Heck .. go into those discount warehouses (like Ollies) and there is tons more Star Wars merch in there than in Target or Wal-mart (though it is all from Force Awakens, Last Jedi and Solo).

Too many items and too broad of choices too. They were all over the place with Star Wars merch the last four years and some of it was too "forced" without an audience (the abundance of all the female characters (whose figures still sit on shelves)).

They just seem to be having trouble hooking the kids. Hasn't helped that the recent cartoon (Star Wars Resistance) that focuses around the Sequel Trilogy isn't really that good. I've watched it with my son .. and he's been "meh" about it.

The fact they didn't realize the demand for the Mandalorian merchandise just seems to show that Disney just doesn't know what to do with Star Wars still .. but they may have finally got it right with that show. I mean .. the kids (my son's age) are talking more about the Mandalorian than episode IX. (I haven't made the jump to let my son watch it yet (he's 7) .. a bit too dark maybe? Still on the fence).

WOW! This is crazy! I was honestly shocked they used the real actors throughout, but I guess there goes that!

Has anyone gotten any Rise-focused surveys that we know of?
I got a survey each day I got a boarding group. It asked me what my primary reason for visiting WDW was, what my primary reason for visiting DHS was, if I knew about SWGE prior to arriving, if RofR was my primary reason for going to DHS, if I rode RotR, and how I liked RotR. No write in, all radio buttons.

If you look from the point of view of chasing demographics, this rumor might make sense. The target demographic for the new trilogy, all the woke folks, is not spending enough to be in competition with the wallet size of the old demographic. Change RotR with a new skin to target the old demographic to capture the wallet. It is ALL about the benjamins. If IX does not meet expectations, and that is truly an IF at this point because perhaps it will soar past all expectations, then cut your losses and revert to the old demographic. But not likely at all in my opinion, the Disney organization would never go back. You can't beat pigs with pigs.

Might depend on how the plans for the Spaceship Hotel are being refined....

Personally I like the idea of visiting a Star Wars where Luke, Han and Leia are still alive - so between the trilogies?

If you look from the point of view of chasing demographics, this rumor might make sense. The target demographic for the new trilogy, all the woke folks, is not spending enough to be in competition with the wallet size of the old demographic. Change RotR with a new skin to target the old demographic to capture the wallet. It is ALL about the benjamins. If IX does not meet expectations, and that is truly an IF at this point because perhaps it will soar past all expectations, then cut your losses and revert to the old demographic. But not likely at all in my opinion, the Disney organization would never go back. You can't beat pigs with pigs.

Millennials have a lot of money, they have the wallets. The oldest Millennials are approaching 40 (Born 80/84). Most grew up on either the OT or the Prequels/Clone Wars cartoon. Not sure if it's smart to chance Boomer/Gen X money at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter