• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Rumor Tracking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve never gone to UO but I have priced out a stay at portofino bay vs WDW hotels we enjoy. The costs have always been so similar we have always decided WDW (just for the kids ages it makes more sense).

Wouldn’t the $2000 difference be similar for UO, but it seems to be working for them?

This is a legit question for me - not arguing your point at all I’d just like to know the difference.
Portofino includes the express pass. If the WDW hotels stop including a FP benefit, it becomes much more attractive to stay at a UO deluxe property vs WDW on a trip where you're doing both.

Portofino will be a fantastic property again whenever they get around to a room refurb but it doesn't make sense IMO until someone's kids are like 10+

They will have to come up with a different way to nickel and dime. $200/day for express pass even if it were unlimited rides is $800 for a family of four. WDW is not a day destination. It is a vacation destination. So for a week you are looking at adding $5,600. For something that is essentially free now if you do it right.

They will have to come up with a different way to nickel and dime. $200/day for express pass even if it were unlimited rides is $800 for a family of four. WDW is not a day destination. It is a vacation destination. So for a week you are looking at adding $5,600. For something that is essentially free now if you do it right.
Stay on property and you can get it for free or a discount depending on which resort you stay at.

Like I said I think when it becomes a paid system it will be the same as Shanghai's. Imagine FP with ride times but having to pay for them. I'm sure Disney will find a way to get people to stay on site.
Shanghai's system would make it even more cost effective to stay off site than a $200 a day express pass. They would have to charge around 3 to 4 times as much at WDW and give 3 of them for free to Deluxe resort guests to make on site as attractive. Plus, that doesn't address the problem of this encouraging people to stay less days at the resorts and encouraging them to cut their number of park days down.

Disney wants to get more money out of people with the new system they are going to roll out, not less.

Shanghai's system would make it even more cost effective to stay off site than a $200 a day express pass. They would have to charge around 3 to 4 times as much at WDW and give 3 of them for free to Deluxe resort guests to make on site as attractive. Plus, that doesn't address the problem of this encouraging people to stay less days at the resorts and encouraging them to cut their number of park days down.

Disney wants to get more money out of people with the new system they are going to roll out, not less.
Then what's the answer? I ask cause from everything that's been said a paid version is coming.

to make it work then you do less days at WDW (maybe 4 or 5 days instead of 7) and you stay off property - can then are guaranteed to get onto the rides you want vs the chance to maybe get a FP (depending on your skill/time of year that chance will vary)

If you stay on property the cost is reduced or rolled into a package so it appears cheaper

If they don't charge $200+ a day then most people will get it and it defeats the purpose if you are still waiting 40 mins for a ride after paying an extra $100 for the pass

They’ve been saying a paid version has been coming for years now. I do think eventually it happens but at the same time don’t expect it to happen tomorrow either.
Not tomorrow but now would be the time to do it since FP doesn't exist right now. When it does come back it will be a paid version.

to make it work then you do less days at WDW (maybe 4 or 5 days instead of 7) and you stay off property - can then are guaranteed to get onto the rides you want vs the chance to maybe get a FP (depending on your skill/time of year that chance will vary)

If you stay on property the cost is reduced or rolled into a package so it appears cheaper

If they don't charge $200+ a day then most people will get it and it defeats the purpose if you are still waiting 40 mins for a ride after paying an extra $100 for the pass
But then I might as well book a couple of VIP days. Which they already have. And less days spending $$$$ in the parks.

Seems like the easiest/least disruptive way to do it would be to make “fast pass” an upgrade option for your ticket (like hopping). On-site guests would retain the advantage of an earlier FP booking window.

That is a great example of why Shanghai is a bad place to look to compare. It's consumed as a day trip; paying big bucks for 1 day isn't a big deal. That's why Cedar Fair and Six Flags have very expensive express passes. There is nothing else in the world like WDW; that's why WDW had a unique solution before with FP+ and why WDW will likely have a unique solution moving forward.

No idea how accurate this is, but see a report that "Project Nugget" refers to more than just the firework launching site and covers all the night time events planned for the 50th

One specific thing mentioned was adding projection mapping to Main St at MK like they have in Disneyland.
This would be awesome in theory, but WDW has to be asking themselves if an expensive project that promotes crowding is the way forward.

That is a great example of why Shanghai is a bad place to look to compare. It's consumed as a day trip; paying big bucks for 1 day isn't a big deal. That's why Cedar Fair and Six Flags have very expensive express passes. There is nothing else in the world like WDW; that's why WDW had a unique solution before with FP+ and why WDW will likely have a unique solution moving forward.
Agreed and I think the other big difference in Cedar Fair and WDW. At Cedar Fair most get the fast lane not just for lower wait times but to re-ride attractions multiple times in a day. I will say it feels like every time a paid version comes up in rumors many find ways to justify why it has to stay free.

First, it isn't $5,600 more for a family of four, because you don't need as many days at the park to do everything you want. My family of 3 would be dropping from 7 days at the park to 4. You are saving money staying off site and eating meals outside of the WDW bubble. You are saving money on the number of days you are buying tickets to WDW parks.

Orlando becomes the vacation destination and not WDW. When you have to spend less days at WDW parks and less hours at the parks while getting more done, it opens up what you can do on a 7 night trip. You stay off site, you rent a car, you go to OU a couple of days, you drive to the beach one day or drive to Kennedy Center one day. For me as a vacationer it is great, but for WDW it is bad. I am now spending money I would have spent at WDW all over the area instead.

I don't think they will do anything like this, but it would be great for me if they did. Disney has far more information about their guests than I am operating with and maybe they believe most of their guest wouldn't act like me if they went one of these types of systems. I just doubt that is the case because WDW now has multiple generations of guests trained to be super planners that look for any advantage to exploit for their benefit.

Agreed and I think the other big difference in Cedar Fair and WDW. At Cedar Fair most get the fast lane not just for lower wait times but to re-ride attractions multiple times in a day. I will say it feels like every time a paid version comes up in rumors many find ways to justify why it has to stay free.
Not saying it has to stay free. But has to be more creative than $200/day express pass. I will say I do think Genie will have something to do with it. Say pay to ask for what you want to do in a day... this includes fastpass as needed. Something like that.

FP+ wasn't really free. For it be of real use to you need to pay a premium to stay at one of Disney's Resorts while taking advantage of EMH and the longer you stay the more useful it is. So Disney is getting people to buy more days of park tickets, having them pay a premium to stay at their resort and getting them to eat every meal on site. People paid through the roof for FP+.

First, it isn't $5,600 more for a family of four, because you don't need as many days at the park to do everything you want. My family of 3 would be dropping from 7 days at the park to 4. You are saving money staying off site and eating meals outside of the WDW bubble. You are saving money on the number of days you are buying tickets to WDW parks.

Orlando becomes the vacation destination and not WDW. When you have to spend less days at WDW parks and less hours at the parks while getting more done, it opens up what you can do on a 7 night trip. You stay off site, you rent a car, you go to OU a couple of days, you drive to the beach one day or drive to Kennedy Center one day. For me as a vacationer it is great, but for WDW it is bad. I am now spending money I would have spent at WDW all over the area instead.

I don't think they will do anything like this, but it would be great for me if they did. Disney has far more information about their guests than I am operating with and maybe they believe most of their guest wouldn't act like me if they went one of these types of systems. I just doubt that is the case because WDW now has multiple generations of guests trained to be super planners that look for any advantage to exploit for their benefit.
I think we are in agreement here. We just have different opinions as the guest. I’ve been all over the world and the rest of Orlando is not what I travel to MCO for. Not flying from across the country (or world for that matter) to stay somewhere for 3 nights and no interest in the rest of Orlando with a few exceptions that I definitely don’t need to do annually or several times a year like I do Disney. Exactly why they’ll have to think outside of the box. They aren’t looking to neutralize the spend. They will monetize FP to increase it.

But then I might as well book a couple of VIP days. Which they already have. And less days spending $$$$ in the parks.

absolutely - I would see this as sort of in between

So you could do
7 days in the park, no fast pass
5 days in the park with Fast Pass
3 days in the park with VIP

all for "roughly" the same about of total dollars when accounting for a hotel each nigth

absolutely - I would see this as sort of in between

So you could do
7 days in the park, no fast pass
5 days in the park with Fast Pass
3 days in the park with VIP

all for "roughly" the same about of total dollars when accounting for a hotel each nigth
A fast pass system that costs $2000/day?

What they will most likely do is bake it into the cost of ticket packages. You know how tickets get cheaper the more you add to a package? You'll get fast pass packages that do the same along with the tickets. I don't think they'll ever add an unlimited pass that is cost effective for the average family. I'm willing to bet it's going to be fast passes but you have to buy them.

On top of that, they'll never decrease the cost of tickets ever. But you'll have promos that you get 3 free per day if you buy a package now!! At least at the start so you're basically getting exactly what you got previously however it's not longer "always included" so they can slowly start charging you for them, and then give guests options of BUYING #4 #5 etc. I'm assuming refreshing is never coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter