The Running Thread—2023

January Running: 85.21 KM - have only got a 5k in since Dopey but I’m starting training for a May 10k this weekend and aiming for a PR.

ATTQOD: I haven’t run in transitions but this is a great idea I hadn’t thought of. I’ve always worn transitions for my prescription glasses but my distance vision has always been good enough to use regular sunglasses. I’m now thinking I may play around with my prescription and get a slightly weaker pair that I can use for early morning or early evening running.

ATTQOD: I haven’t run in transitions but this is a great idea I hadn’t thought of. I’ve always worn transitions for my prescription glasses but my distance vision has always been good enough to use regular sunglasses. I’m now thinking I may play around with my prescription and get a slightly weaker pair that I can use for early morning or early evening running.
That was me for a long time - like, I can see well enough that I’m not dangerous, distance-wise, but my eyes were getting terribly fatigued when forced to do distance-only for long spells: running and driving. So I finally got a Rx and it’s so nice, I never want to run “blind” again! I only need +75 on one side, +1.00 on the other, but I’m so much more comfortable now.

I’m not sure this is worthy of QOTD, but I have a question, and it’s a day, so…

Do any of you run in Transitions/photochromic lensed glasses? More particularly, have you done so with a brimmed hat or visor on? My eyes are physically rejecting contacts much of the year, and I always wear sunglasses when the sun is up, but I also run mornings a lot, starting in the dark and ending with the sun up. I’m wondering if photochromic lenses might work for that, but would they get and stay dark enough under a brim??
Due to lack of hair, I always wear a baseball hat outside and my glasses darken right down, so they should work fine for you.
I hate having sweat running in my eyes and all over my glasses, so I usually leave my glasses at home or in the car for training runs. I put in my contacts for the MW races and was pleasantly surprised to notice that they are UV blocking (not sure how much). After the sun comes up, I put on cheap sunglasses that I had tucked into the back of my collar.
YMMV

Someone finally explained what SAFD stands for; for me, Sundays are usually for church, and then family stuff. But the wife wasn’t feeling very good this morning and we headed home after Sunday school and I took the opportunity to head to the greenway for the first time in ages. The boardwalk is better on joints, the relative flatness of the route makes for better times than the neighborhood hills, and no cars going past or intersections to cross. Anyway, for me, 4 really strong miles (see below) as I try to get trained back up.
And, I saw another runner wearing last year’s WDW marathon shirt!
Cool.
1675655321926.png

That was me for a long time - like, I can see well enough that I’m not dangerous, distance-wise, but my eyes were getting terribly fatigued when forced to do distance-only for long spells: running and driving. So I finally got a Rx and it’s so nice, I never want to run “blind” again! I only need +75 on one side, +1.00 on the other, but I’m so much more comfortable now.
I finally bought a pair of prescription sunglasses. They were fairly inexpensive at Costco, and it was money very well spent.

Someone finally explained what SAFD stands for; for me, Sundays are usually for church, and then family stuff. But the wife wasn’t feeling very good this morning and we headed home after Sunday school and I took the opportunity to head to the greenway for the first time in ages. The boardwalk is better on joints, the relative flatness of the route makes for better times than the neighborhood hills, and no cars going past or intersections to cross. Anyway, for me, 4 really strong miles (see below) as I try to get trained back up.
And, I saw another runner wearing last year’s WDW marathon shirt!
Cool.
View attachment 737562
Knowing what SAFD stands for is the first step.

Knowing which thread it takes place in is the next one...

I know very few people on here are actually physicians, but I'm asking a question anyway because this does seem to be a group that is familiar with a variety of injuries:

I seem to have developed a painless, maybe less-than-a-dime-sized-diameter bump on the front of my very lower left leg, just above my ankle? I have no pain when running or when touching it, and it seems like it's moveable when I push on it (i.e. not attached to my bone or anything). Dr. Google served me some articles mentioning "runner's bump", which I have never heard of in my life, or a ganglion cyst, which my friend had in her hand and it was painful.

Any advice? I am averse to going to a doctor for something that doesn't even hurt.

PS I also seem to have developed a bruise on my other shin but I don't remember hitting it.

Last edited:
I know very few people on here are actually physicians, but I'm asking a question anyway because this does seem to be a group that is familiar with a variety of injuries:

I seem to have developed a painless, maybe less-than-a-dime-sized-diameter bump on the front of my very lower left leg, just above my ankle? I have no pain when running or when touching it, and it seems like it's moveable when I push on it (i.e. not attached to my bone or anything). Dr. Google served me some articles mentioning "runner's bump", which I have never heard of in my life, or a gangion cyst, which my friend had in her hand and it was painful.

Any advice? I am adverse to going to a doctor for something that doesn't even hurt.

PS I also seem to have developed a bruise on my other shin but I don't remember hitting it.
Not a Doctor.
If it were red, textured (like cellulitis), or warmer, I would outline it with a sharpie and see how it looked over the course of a few days.

But this is where it's nice to have health insurance, to just go ask.

They also make "transitions" contact lenses. Which sounds like a nightmare to me. I'd like to be able to control the brightness, not my contacts, tyvm.

WEIRD! And no. No thank you. At least with my transitions glasses, I can take them off to see after coming in from the bright sun (until they adjust).

I seem to have developed a painless, maybe less-than-a-dime-sized-diameter bump on the front of my very lower left leg, just above my ankle? I have no pain when running or when touching it, and it seems like it's moveable when I push on it (i.e. not attached to my bone or anything). Dr. Google served me some articles mentioning "runner's bump", which I have never heard of in my life, or a ganglion cyst, which my friend had in her hand and it was painful.

Any advice? I am averse to going to a doctor for something that doesn't even hurt.

Definitely not a doctor and all too often choose not to go or listen to them but I get this on a regular basis, especially when running ten or more miles. Typically about a half inch round sticking out a quarter inch or so usually mid shin area. I did ask my doctor about it a couple years back but he really had no sure ideas since there was nothing to look at. He thought maybe fascial hernia but found it odd that it heals very quickly, and changes locations and even which leg.
That being said, it was because while I may get one after running, it’s gone an hour or two later. There is never discoloration, no pain, it’s not a hard lump, and it doesn’t bother me in any way during or after the run. Like you I scoured Dr Google and came up with anything from its nothing to you’ll be dead in a day so I tend to steer clear of that now and just go with how I feel.
If it’s still there I would say take a picture, with something like a dime for reference. Then make note, does it not go away, change color, hurt? If so then it’s different than what I get and I’d see someone. If not then you’ve probably already got the same info as your Dr.

I didn't even know this was a thing!
I did not either. I've worn soft lenses on and off for decades, so I don't look at the boxes other than to make sure I have L/R correct for my mismatched diopters (with my better/worse eye having flipped after Lasik.)
I had about 17 years of perfect eyesight and then my eyes changed again. I looked into followup Lasik, but was told that my eyes are still within the margins of error for surgery, so I likely wouldn't see any gain from a second procedure. So I now wear some expensive (at least for me) progressive and auto-darkening bifocals (bifocals! That was a rude development) on a daily basis, and the contacts when I want/need to. For my daily and weekend runs, I just leave my glasses at home or in the car because I can see well enough to run. If desired, I could do so at WDW, but I prefer the better vision, so I'll wear contacts and tuck reading glasses into my running belt. Reading glasses are cheap, so not as big a concern if they get scratched/dirty/damaged. And as noted, I keep very cheap sunglasses on my belt or tucked into my collar for when the sun comes up during the marathon. I don't think I bothers for the 5k-half races since we finish in the dark or early morning.

I'll go check my lens packages to see how much UV they claim to block.

WEIRD! And no. No thank you. At least with my transitions glasses, I can take them off to see after coming in from the bright sun (until they adjust).
Exactly. I come in from outside and I often have to take my transition glasses off for a minute so I can see.
If I'm going to be outdoors in the sun for an extended length of time (like a sporting event), I take my prescription bifocal sunglasses and leave my regular glasses in the car or in a case in the wife's tote bag. Total game changer to have prescription sunglasses.

I finally bought a pair of prescription sunglasses. They were fairly inexpensive at Costco, and it was money very well spent.

Exactly. I come in from outside and I often have to take my transition glasses off for a minute so I can see.
If I'm going to be outdoors in the sun for an extended length of time (like a sporting event), I take my prescription bifocal sunglasses and leave my regular glasses in the car or in a case in the wife's tote bag. Total game changer to have prescription sunglasses.
Agreed on the cheap Rx sunglasses with bifocals! Those are my go-to for driving. But I can’t stand running in bifocals and was torn between a dedicated pair of single-vision sunglasses or photochromic… I may wind up ordering a 2nd pair of sunglasses, but I think the photochromic will be a better option for those early morning summer runs when I start in the dark and finish at sunrise.

I also tried progressives - both glasses and contacts… NOPE. My brain just could not get the hang of it, I guess, because both made every distance very blurry. I’m happy with my little bifocal lines, lol!

Just to throw another possibility out there...maybe a lipoma, which is a little fatty cyst. For awhile, I had one of these on my forearm, on the outer part where it's bony. I could press on it and push it around a bit; it didn't hurt. It was sort of like a party trick, if I went to parties. At some point, it just went away.

If it doesn't hurt and doesn't seems suspicious for some other reason, then I would just keep an eye on it. As others said, a photo or two for a reference could be helpful.

But this is where it's nice to have health insurance, to just go ask.
Yeah, I guess I'm asking the boards to see if I can justify avoiding that disruption to the schedule. I will if it changes though. A Sharpie or photo is a great idea.
That being said, it was because while I may get one after running, it’s gone an hour or two later.
Interesting... mine has been here for about 48 hours, at least, that I noticed. I'll look up a fascial hernia for sure though.
Just to throw another possibility out there...maybe a lipoma, which is a little fatty cyst.

If it doesn't hurt and doesn't seems suspicious for some other reason, then I would just keep an eye on it. As others said, a photo or two for a reference could be helpful.
I thought about a lipoma too. I'm going to take these 3 pieces of feedback and interpret to mean I can wait a bit and still continue running. No pain no problem right?

Following on the footsteps of @SheHulk (BTW, i am with you watch it no need for a dr yet since it does not hurt), I am looking for some medical advice. Thankfully it is not stopping my running. I have what I believe is tennis elbow or computer elbow. I do not play tennis but i am on this computer all day and then play on the ipad at night. My elbow is painful, i would say hurts at a 3 when i am doing nothing. It has been since beginning of Dec. The pain has changed some as i spent time stretching my forearms and massaging them. Pain is now different. Dull ache almost constantly and everyday things i cannot do. Some important things, i need two hands to pour the coffee. I struggle to hang up my jacket. The big one is i absolutely cannot hook my sports bra from behind (which i have to do because of the type it is). My elbow hurts to straighten and bend. My wrist is not much better. I have been taking advil but it is doing nothing. I am super close to going to the Dr. I know a few of you, @avondale, play tennis and maybe have some suggestions.

My problem is it does not seem to get better and short of taking time off work i am not sure what else i can do. I am thinking another possibility is an impinged nerve. This is the arm i completely messed up 8 years ago on a very bad fall. I so don't want to try and figure out a good time to go to the dr. On the flip side, i am able to run :).

Whining over....for now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter