The Running Thread—2023

What am I going to do with that 2k?

I am running the Ottawa 59.2 Challenge this weekend. It consist of four races:
Saturday @ 3:00PM: 2k
Saturday @ 4:00PM: 5k
Saturday @ 6:30PM: 10k
Sunday @ 7:00AM: Marathon

I don’t have time goals on the 5k and Marathon. I will probably push the 10k and try to PR.

Any idea what I can do on the 2k? Do I walk it? Do I count the tulips along the way? Do I try to run it half-fast to preserve half my ego and half my legs?

I don’t have time goals on the 5k and Marathon. I will probably push the 10k and try to PR.

Any idea what I can do on the 2k? Do I walk it? Do I count the tulips along the way? Do I try to run it half-fast to preserve half my ego and half my legs?
Maybe run it to get the race day nerves out, then be chill on the 5K to recover for your 10K PR attempt?

For anyone looking for a new Garmin, Amazon is running a sale on a number of models. Currently have the Vivoactive 4 for $199 (down from $330) and the Forerunner 245 Music for $222. Interestingly it looks like some of the same prices are available directly from Garmin too, but not all of them (Garmin still showing Forerunner 245 Music for $329 on their site).

For anyone looking for a new Garmin, Amazon is running a sale on a number of models. Currently have the Vivoactive 4 for $199 (down from $330) and the Forerunner 245 Music for $222.

Me, muttering to myself, I do not need a new watch, I do not need a new watch, I do not need a new watch, but, but, but...it can't hurt to look, can it? 🤣

Jog the 2k and 5k as warmups, and then go for the PR on the 1oK

Jog the 2k and 5k as warmups, and then go for the PR on the 1oK
Yes, that is the sensible thing to do. I am trying to justify the 2k in my mind. More like what would be a fun objective for that race… I agree that speed is probably not a good answer to that question in the circumstances. It just feel silly to run around the block with no purpose whatsoever. Now if it was Epcot during Springtime Surprise, the night atmosphere and the topiaries would suffice.

ETA: In other words, why race a 2k if not for speed?
ETA2: I thought about running with a pineapple on my head but that has already been done :rotfl2:
ETA3: Found my answer, I will use the 2k to test the sunglasses I bought at the Expo!
RenderedImage.jpeg

Last edited:
Who got a pair of barely used Saucony Cohesions for $5 today? This girl!! I’m working at my great-aunt’s annual garage sale and one of her neighbors had a pair. They say they’re 9s, but there isn’t a ton of excess toe room on my size 8 feet. I ran up the block and they felt pretty good.

Hello, is this thing on? Sort of quiet....

Yesterday I had a very good run. Don't know why, but it just felt good. Perfect temps-~45⁰, no butt fatigue (which I've been feeling lately), good cardio level. It honestly doesn't happen often, but when it does, it makes me feel good the whole day long. So with that in mind.....

QOTD: Tell us about a run you've had that felt really good. One that made you feel happy to be a runner.

And now, back to watching the Giro d'Italia. They finish today on Tre Cime di Lavaredo, where I hiked last summer. And going along spectacular roads in the Dolomites that I drove.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: It has been rather quiet around here lately. I guess we are entering the season of sweat, which tends to make a lot of people kind of grumpy about running 😅

Anyway, I had a really great run like that a couple of weeks ago - there wasn't anything overtly special about it, but the weather was nice and I just felt really, really good and relaxed and happy. And @jmasgat is right, it did brighten up my whole day!

ATTQOTD: Just like the title of a famous biography of George Washington, you never forget your first. The run that made me feel great is the first time I remember it happening; it was also the peak workout near the end of my first real, organized training cycle. The specific workout was the full length progression Block workout with no rests between (10 minutes each of EA, EB, LR, M Tempo, LT, HM Tempo) - anyone who has ever done a @DopeyBadger training plan has probably seen some variation of this workout.

I had done other versions of the Block workout previously in the plan, including the 7 minute segment with rests and the 10 minute segment with rests, and they were tough but doable. When I did the peak workout, I nailed the pacing of every segment and I felt stronger every time I sped up. At the conclusion of the HM Tempo segment 60 minutes later, I jumped and "Whoop!"-ed because I had never had everything come together so well before AND I felt like I could keep going. That is a feeling that is now more familiar to me during the final burst of a race. Guess that's why I keep racing!

ATTQOTD: The first run I really "raced," the 2023 Princess 10k. It was my first 10k and first timed Disney race. I was very nervous about getting swept. But I ended up loving it and finishing within spitting reach of my 1:30 goal (the 7 minute porta stop hurt me there). I didn't know much then about easy runs and different types of training and pacing and could have probably run a lot faster, but I finished feeling fantastic and knew I wanted to do it again.

It's been going on for several days now, but if you're an REI member there are still a few days to get the extra discount on the outlet items. Lots of running stuff in there! I picked up a pair of Adidas trail runners for about half off.

We got out of work early today and I took advantage of the extra 2 hours before daycare pickup to go to the running store ALL BY MYSELF and after much trying on and deliberation I got a second pair of running shoes! Brooks Glycerin 20 in what I’m calling 90s colors. 🤣View attachment 763343
I have an older pair of glycerin’s that are probably on their last training runs. I just bought two new pairs of Mizuno‘s and they feel great

Hello, is this thing on? Sort of quiet....

Yesterday I had a very good run. Don't know why, but it just felt good. Perfect temps-~45⁰, no butt fatigue (which I've been feeling lately), good cardio level. It honestly doesn't happen often, but when it does, it makes me feel good the whole day long. So with that in mind.....

QOTD: Tell us about a run you've had that felt really good. One that made you feel happy to be a runner.

And now, back to watching the Giro d'Italia. They finish today on Tre Cime di Lavaredo, where I hiked last summer. And going along spectacular roads in the Dolomites that I drove.
My last run this week before taking a week off for my first cruise. This is over 50 seconds a mile faster than I was running a couple of months ago. I am totally pumped about this and it is giving me inspiration to stay on it and see how well I can do this fall. My goal now is a marathon under five hours.
F0E3F187-F5D8-41F5-AA4E-53268C1F1B8A.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter