The Running Thread—2023

ATTQOTD: Generally, under an hour, I don't bring anything. I know, I should bring water, but I don't. If it's summer, I may bring water depending on my route (if I don't go past drinking fountains....or as we Mass-holes of a certain age were brought up "bubblers") If I go out for longer than an hour, I will bring some form of fuel and water. I am guilty of not drinking enough on my runs.

So an update of my Firefox browser has caused all text on the Dis boards to be in bold font. Swell. It seems like everyone is posting very emphatically, LOL.

ATTQOTD: depends on the time I expect to be out.

For runs of 70 minutes and less, I just bring my running belt to put my car key and phone in.

For runs more than 70 minutes, I wear my hydration vest. Since I'm mostly running on trails these days, I carry a lot with me besides my hydration. This includes: car key and phone, like before; small first aid kit; ACE bandage for possible ankle sprain; foil emergency blanket; GPS satellite SOS communicator. If there is possible rain, then a hat, also.

If I'm going more than 90 minutes, then I have some sort of nutrition. I usually do these runs wearing shorts with pockets, and the pockets carry the nutrition.
Ironically, the only bold-text post I’ve seen is yours (except for the first 3 words, which makes it even weirder)

ATTQOTD:
All runs - Apple Watch + AirPods (though I no longer bring AirPods/ headphones for runDisney races)
< 7km - nothing else unless it is very hot
7K to 15K - Water bottle
> 15K - I'll add in some type of snack/ nutrition/ gels/ gatorade/ Powerade depending on distance, pace and temp - and what distance I'm training for.

non-Disney Races:
All: ID
Depends on what they will be offering on course, but usually very similar to my training runs.

Exception to the above - runDisney races.
rD 5 & 10K - ID + RoomKey/ MagicBand + Phone - for pictures
rD >10K - ID + RoomKey/ MagicBand +Phone + some nutrition / gels

I find that the water/ Powerade stops on rD races more than cover my hydration needs and I like not having to carry my own.

QOTD: What do you take with you on your runs? Do you bring more or less if its a race or long run?

If it is the roads I generally take nothing but I do always have my Garmin. I wear it 24/7 other than to charge it. If it is a long run I might take some gels and use them as I pass water fountains but I never take a phone or anything like that. On trails I do generally take my phone and might take a handheld water bottle if it is more than 5 miles and hot.

The less I can have with me the better.

Last edited:

I'm done running for the month so here are my totals:
March 2023: Activities: 13 Distance: 36.09 mi Time: 7:28:14 (includes a 15k, and three 5ks)
Successful 300,000 monthly step goal (first success of the year!)
I increased my mileage & number of runs this month, and I got back outside after 2 months of treadmill only.

Looking ahead to April 2023: I hope to get another 15k badge from Garmin. I have a plan to run 2x per week, plus strength training and yoga. I will be taking a vacation to Washington DC so I have some "rest" days built into my schedule. Happy Spring Y'All!!!

Here are some of my thoughts about the weekly questions:
Barkely Marathon
- No thank you! Despite my slow pace, I do care about my race times, so I don't even like the slow down of a normal trail race, nevermind climbing rocks and finding books along the way. Plus, I'm too old to go w/o that much sleep.

Do I pay for a coach? - I've never had a coach. I paid a one-time fee for the Zenlabs Fitness Couch to Half Marathon plan to get me to my first virtual Half. I pay an annual fee for a workout app for strength training. I mostly use free apps or free training plans on Garmin. I feel like my goals and interests are too all over the place/ hybrid for a coach to want to deal w/ me.

Boston Marathon - I'll be traveling on Marathon Monday so won't be watching live, but I'm sure we'll catch up w/ it on the news. I'm proud to have volunteered twice on course and gone as a spectator a handful of times too.

What do I carry while I run? - I wear my Garmin Venu and use a pocket or arm band for my phone. I use wired earbuds to listen to an audiobook while training or a music playlist while racing. I usually run fasted so I don't bring any nutrition.

ATTQOTD generally almost nothing, have an Apple Watch with cellular and road ID on the band. That’s it for shorter runs, long runs I bring an SPI belt with water bottle and honey stinger gels. Sometimes AirPods but I’ve been skipping the music lately and just enjoying the quiet.

ATTQOTD: in regards to Boston, it’s a holiday here in MA so I will probably pop the coverage on. Our weather has been all over the map so hoping for better days next month.

I bring nothing on my runs recently as they have been on the treadmill. If I do run outside, usually my phone. If I take the stroller, usually some water as pushing that thing is a work out.

attqotd:
phone and shokz for all runs (and my garmin, of course)

over 5 miles, or if it's really hot out, I'll drop a water bottle at the corner or about a mile out from my start since I usually run out-and-backs.

runs over 90min I'll take a gel or waffle of some sort

ATTQOTD: Just my Garmin and a hat, and sunglasses if necessary. No phone or headphones or anything like that. My Garmin has local Spotify playback, so every once in a while I'll bring headphones, but that's rare. If my run is 90 minutes or longer, I bring water via a hydration belt/vest and nutrition (gels).

ATTQOTD: My phone is always with me when I run. Also tissues and my house key, car key, MagicBand or office card. Add a small 5oz water bottle for over an hour run, especially if it is hot and I won’t have access to a water fountain. Add nutrition if longer. At the most, for a Marathon, I have a belt with two bottles and store more fuel and tissues/wipes in the pouch.

ETA: I also often bring DH or DD 😁 but I am the only one carrying stuff except for the keys.

I am loving the bold text lol! No more needing to zoom to read tiny text! I hope I can keep it going by not clicking the yellow banner…
I am also loving it. But mainly because I check this page on my phone and I find the bold easier to read.

Ironically, the only bold-text post I’ve seen is yours (except for the first 3 words, which makes it even weirder)
You know, I think I experimented with turning the bold feature "on" to see if there was any difference in how the text appeared, but there wasn't. But I think I didn't turn the bold off. So maybe that's why? Which makes this whole thing even weirder.

Oh, just saw what people were saying about x-ing the yellow banner. I did that and then refreshed, and I'm back to normal! Yay!

Well the good news is the bold text situation seems to have resolved itself! Thats something to celebrate!!!

QOTD: What are your running / fitness goals for April?

ATTQOTD: I started doing some easy weight lifting this week and would like to continue doing so during April and beyond. My main goal is to have my knee feeling well enough to start c25k towards the end of the month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter