The Running Thread—2023

ATTQOTD: I'm doing five days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and long-run Sunday) right now as I train for my next marathon. Once that race is done and I'll go to a maintenance mode where I'll run 4 days a week and have Wednesday go to a rest / margarita day.

ATTQOTD:
If I'm **only** running, 5 is a good number, because if I have more than 2 days in a row off I kind of lose motivation/interest/focus or whatever you want to call it.

If I'm running AND trying to do something else in conjunction with it, I have no idea, because I always massively fail on fitting both things in (as an example, even though I found a very reasonable 5-day/wk running and strength training plan, I cannot manage to do both with any consistency. I am always skipping one or the other and then snowballing because now I'm "off" on my plan.)
^ THIS!!! I don’t have the time to do a run and ST in the same day, and my body also rejects that entirely. So how on earth would I get 4 run days, 2 ST days, a yoga day, and 2 rest days into a 7-day week?! This is what’s making me look seriously at a 2-week or 3-week cycle, though it makes my brain hurt just thinking about it. Know who highly recommends it, though? MEB. I mean, dude’s still killing it running around for fun where I live, so if MEB says it’s a good idea it probably, is, right?! I may need a spread sheet to figure it out…
ATTQOTD: To marginally shift Monty Python........Four shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be four. Five shalt thou not count, neither count thou three, excepting that thou then proceed to four. Six is right out.
I try not to play favorites on the DIS, but… you are now my favorite. 🥥 👏
Although it doesn't relate completely to The Running Thread, annual passes will be sold again later this month.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ld-announces-return-of-new-annual-pass-sales/
AND it means upgrades are back for existing APs! Sadly, not in time to get me into a park for Sat of Springtime Surprise, but if I want to go to a park for 7/4…

I don’t have the time to do a run and ST in the same day, and my body also rejects that entirely. So how on earth would I get 4 run days, 2 ST days, a yoga day, and 2 rest days into a 7-day week?! This is what’s making me look seriously at a 2-week or 3-week cycle, though it makes my brain hurt just thinking about it. Know who highly recommends it, though? MEB. I mean, dude’s still killing it running around for fun where I live, so if MEB says it’s a good idea it probably, is, right?! I may need a spread sheet to figure it out…
Tell me more about this. Is it like....alternating the weeks in chunks?

Although it doesn't relate completely to The Running Thread, annual passes will be sold again later this month.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ld-announces-return-of-new-annual-pass-sales/
Literally just coming to post this! I’ve seen several on here hoping for an AP return. Luckily we have been able to keep ours renewed but anyone looking keep an eye on it. Supposedly limited supply and dates I saw were April 13 for DVC sorcerer pass and April 20 for others. That would potentially cover DVC for springtime surprise.

ATTQOTD: I generally run 4 days a week, increasing to 5 for either a marathon or an "A" race HM. However....I started doing Orange Theory 2 days a week in January and have cut back running to 2 days a week.

My plan for Spring/Summer is Run 2x, Orange Theory 2x and Bike 2x. I need to talk to @DopeyBadger to see how that could fit into a training plan for a few 10 milers and HMs I will be running in the next 6 months.

^ THIS!!! I don’t have the time to do a run and ST in the same day, and my body also rejects that entirely. So how on earth would I get 4 run days, 2 ST days, a yoga day, and 2 rest days into a 7-day week?! This is what’s making me look seriously at a 2-week or 3-week cycle, though it makes my brain hurt just thinking about it. Know who highly recommends it, though? MEB. I mean, dude’s still killing it running around for fun where I live, so if MEB says it’s a good idea it probably, is, right?! I may need a spread sheet to figure it out…

I try not to play favorites on the DIS, but… you are now my favorite. 🥥 👏

AND it means upgrades are back for existing APs! Sadly, not in time to get me into a park for Sat of Springtime Surprise, but if I want to go to a park for 7/4…
I find even on days I work from home it's hard to do two workouts a day. I'm excited about one but not the other because I need to spread them out. One workout over my lunch break, and then one after work. I find it's hard to be motivated for the one after work since I've already done one. I had to work 4 days in the office last week, and I was reminded why I choose to do one activity each day.

Tell me more about this. Is it like....alternating the weeks in chunks?
Well, I’m dictated by my work schedule as to which days of the week I can run for an hour, which really puts a wrench in things. Since those have to be Tues and Thurs, and I like long runs on Saturdays, I used to do a 2-week cycle like this:

Sun Pilates or Power Yoga
Mon Speed/Hill very short run
Tues 45-60min run
Wed ST
Thu 45-60min run
Fri rest
Sat Long run
Sun Easy recovery yoga
Mon rest
Tue 45-60min run
Wed ST
Thu 45-60min run
Fri rest
Sat Cut back run

It doesn't give me two rest days every week, but it does every other week. And that easy yoga day is truly an easy, gently stretching things effort, usually combined with vacuuming or laundry to move some, but more or less a rest-ish day.

QOTD: What app or system to do use to track and/or plan your runs?

ATTQOTD: I use the Garmin app which my watch uploads to after my runs. While I am able to put everything as far as a running plan onto the app, I prefer to use a excel spreadsheet.

For those who have been tracking for a long enough time, yall remember the good ole days of having the plug the watch into the computer instead of blue tooth? The GPS watches have come a long way folks lol.

ATTQOTD: I started with the then-free Runkeeper app a decade or so ago, but then found iSmoothRun gave me things Runkeeper didn’t: shoe mileage tracking, customizable reminders for nutrition, customized files for exporting, etc. I think a paid Runkeeper version may offer those now, but I’m still rocking iSmoothRun, and when I finish a run I export it to my still-free Runkeeper account for storage.

I also wear a cheap Garmin when I remember to. That’s for intervals if I opt to listen a podcast instead of music (music will duck while iSmoothRun tells me to “walk” but podcasts don’t and that annoys me), the ability to see what time it is and/or how far I’ve gone without pulling out my phone, a backup if iSmoothRun goes wonky, and to check HR when it’s 100* and my “easy” effort feels hard but I need a visual to tell me “it’s the heat, stupid.”

ATTQOTD:
I use Garmin Connect to track my runs. I use my Stryd foot pod to plan my runs. It has plans available, and they work for me. They have a workout app for Garmin, so it uploads the workout to my watch, and I can just follow along, and try and stay within my ‘power’ target.

ETA: Stryd does have its own app, and I could track everything there. I’m just used to Garmin Connect, so I choose to look at it mostly.

QOTD: What app or system to do use to track and/or plan your runs?

ATTQOTD: I use the Garmin app which my watch uploads to after my runs. While I am able to put everything as far as a running plan onto the app, I prefer to use a excel spreadsheet.

For those who have been tracking for a long enough time, yall remember the good ole days of having the plug the watch into the computer instead of blue tooth? The GPS watches have come a long way folks lol.
I still plug my Garmin (Forerunner 235) into my computer to charge. I spend a few minutes each day tethered to my computer.

I also need to sync it to Garmin Connect on my phone twice before plugging in to charge or else I sometimes lose my steps data for the day.

ATTQOTD: I have an Apple Watch (Series 6) that I use for tracking on the run as well as podcasts, and I use Strava for data and analysis. I too am currently using a DopeyBadger plan because how else can you get something specialized for a back-to-back 5K/10-miler followed by a 10K 7 weeks later? 😁

ATTQOTD Pt 2: I missed the planning part…

Um, I use a paper calendar to plan my months, lol! For routes, I have a handful of routes around my neighborhood that offer different distances, scenery, hills, etc. and mostly just pick what sounds nice on any given day. After running, walking, and driving them for 30 years, I should know how far from home I am at any given time… but I don’t, hence the GPS. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter