The Running Thread—2023

ATTQOTD:
I've tried different options, this is what I find currently works for me:
Short runs (<10k): Nike Pegasus
Long runs: Nike Vomero
Race Day: Vaporfly - less for the speed than for the shock absorption!
Snow/ Mud: Nike Pegasus Shield

I am going to change it up after this season of races and try the Vaporfly for my long training min runs - they should be at about 150 miles at that point.

I found the Next% to eat up the uphills better than the Endorphin Pros did. The Endorphin Pros felt as good as the Next% on flat road running. In 2020 when I did mile training, I did paces in the upper 4s/low 5s and honestly never felt faster than I did then in the Next%. They really felt like they helped my turnover.
Thank you @DopeyBadger for your very helpful response! And this is part of what I wanted to know. I have not raced hills in my Nikes but I have in my Endorphin Pros and I felt much more poppy in them than when I used to race in my Brooks Ghost.

I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone! ☺️

ATTQOTD: I don’t have different styles of training vs. race shoes, but I always have 2-3 of the same(ish*) shoes in rotation at any given time - a pair nearing its end of life, a pair enjoying midlife, and a new pair with few miles on them. I’ll almost always aim for that newest pair for a race.

(Sometimes it’s all the exact same style shoe, but sometimes I have a couple similar but different shoes in rotation. For the past couple years, it was all Altra Torin 5 all the time. Right now, I’ve got a Saucony Ride 15 doing most of the work, a NB 880 v12 that I think is going to only be a non-running shoe but I’ll give it one more shot at running before deciding, and a Kinvara 13 I’ve only worn around the house but will try a run in soon. In any case, race day goes to a shoe with enough mileage near race distance to have proven itself worthy, but not so much that it doesn’t feel fresh!)

QOTD: With Spring and Summer running coming up, what type of hydration gear do you run with? Do you have a daily water intake goal that is different for the warmer months vs the cooler months?

ATTQOTD: I have Amphipod fuel belt. I believe that type I have is so old I can no longer find it online. It can hold up to 4 bottles and has a little pocket deal for GU or keys, ect. As far as the warmer vs cooler months, I drink more during the summer, despite the runs being shorter. I drink about the same amount during the day during regardless of time of year. Probably should change that.

ATTQOTD:
So it depends. I have a nathan vapor howe that has a 1.5L bladder, and I also purchased 2 500mL soft flasks to put electrolyte stuff in the front pouches on it. I used this a lot when training for my first marathon in 2021 (it was my security blanket because I didn't know what to expect for aid stations) and wear it much less frequently now. I will use it for long runs when I do a complete out-and-back.
However, because of timing/shoehorning runs in, my long run route is usually a T-shaped "out and back" and I'll stash a water bottle and/or electrolytes somewhere near the center top of that T so I can access it every 2-2.5mi when I pass it. Disney races have definitely spoiled me for not wanting to carry any water.

I have a 40oz water bottle that I attempt to drink 2 of per day as a baseline. My summer job will put me in a 90 degree room for 8 hours, 3-4 days/week and I obviously drink more on those days. Heat acclimation is not an issue as a result, and I love running in the summer. Winter is tougher for hydrating but if I keep my cup filled and nearby I usually hit my goal.

ATTQOTD: In the summer I typically run shorter (6-9 mile) distances with an Ultraspire Synaptic 2.0 waist belt with a single 500 mL soft flask. For longer runs, I love the Ultraspire Speedgoat 3.0 with its two 500 mL soft flasks. Both are very comfortable and don't spin or slip on me.

I've also previously used an Orange Mud Endurance Pack with 2-3 L capacity bladders. I moved away from it because I preferred the lighter loading of the waist packs.

QOTD: With Spring and Summer running coming up, what type of hydration gear do you run with? Do you have a daily water intake goal that is different for the warmer months vs the cooler months?

I don't carry anything on the roads. If it is hot I make sure I run past a water fountain or loop past my house or car and grab a drink.

On the trails I'll either use a Nathan handheld or this Waist Pack depending on the temperature, length I'll be out, and if I'll pass a place to refill.

ATTQOTD: I use an amphipod 12oz handheld bottle year round. The only thing I do differently in “summer” (I‘m in west-central FL, so “summer” refers to any days when it’s warmer than 85ish) is use Nuun instead of plain water. Every route I run has access to public drinking fountains, so I can refill as needed on long runs. I don’t measure or count daily water intake: I just drink to thirst.

ATTQOTD: I use a Nathan belt with an 18oz bottle. There are plenty of mosques and large houses which have cold water taps available along my typical routes, making refilling quite easy.

ATTQOTD: Summer is easier than Spring because there are water fountains open.

For medium length runs, if it is hot, I put a 5oz Flipbelt water bottle in my leggings’ pocket.

For long runs that require nutrition as well, I use my Fuelbelt and often put Maurten 320 in the two bottles.

I use a handheld Nathan water bottle for all my runs (Florida).

I want to get a spibelt/extra water bottle for longer runs, especially during the summer.

ATTQOTD: I do loops in the neighborhood for long runs so that I can drop off a cooler full of ice and drinks that I hit every few miles

I did just buy a hydration vest to try out, figured I'd give that a shot and see how I like it.

ATTQOTD: I have a 12 oz handheld that I use all year. In the summer I change up my routes so that I can refill halfway at my car. I'd like to get a vest though so I don't have to do that. Any good vest recommendations for a very petite female?

QOTD: What single running product you wish you had known about before you started running, but did not and was told about it later?

ATTQOTD: Body Glide!!! It was bad, and I had no idea this product existed and the greatness it offered. Doesn't leave marks on clothes, easy to apply and works like a charm. If your new to running, get to your local run store or order some on amazon now!

QOTD: What single running product you wish you had known about before you started running, but did not and was told about it later?
ATTQOTD: Spring Energy Fuel in AwesomeSauce flavor. Although I should modify this response to apply to more recent running (not when I started running because this wasn't necessarily around when I ran my first full). I wish I would have had it for prior long runs.

And btw, Glide is AMAZING! Totally agree on that one @LSUlakes 🥳

ATTQOTD: Shokz headphones. I love that they don’t fall off and that I can still hear my surroundings. Took me way to long to committ
It took me way too long to get a pair of Shokz headphones. I still can't believe that I killed four pairs of Apple Airpods Pro before getting a pair of waterproof headphones that can withstand my sweat.

ATTQOTD: I wish I had known they made hats out of moisture-wicking materials! I'm out there running in regular canvas visors with white sweat blotches that don't come out no matter how many times you wash them and then I find a lightweight visor that feels completely different and I'm like, "WHAT IS THIS DEMON MAGIC??" And now I have more running hats than regular hats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter