The Running Thread—2023

So, I think I already know the answer to this question, but I wanted to get some feedback anyway, especially from @DopeyBadger.

As some of you know, I live in Orlando, aka "the outside is like a sauna at least six months out of the year." Today was my first hour-long run with my new Garmin and the ability to track my heart rate is fabulous! However, I wasn't running much faster than I usually do during my run intervals and even after I deliberately slowed my pace, my heartrate still creeped into Zone 3 every time I ran, forcing me to flip my intervals (from 60/30 to 30/60) to get it into Zone 2. I'm assuming this is because of the heat and humidity - am I right? I drink water when I run and try to run along a shady path in my neighborhood - is there anything else I can do to mitigate the heat? I don't mind switching to the treadmill for shorter runs but I really prefer the longer ones outside. I also can't run any earlier than I do, because I have to get my son ready for school. (And I cannot get up before 6 am or I will be a cranky monster all day.) So I guess what I'm wondering is, will the run still be beneficial to me if I keep doing 30/60 intervals during "hot as hell" season? (I am assuming yes, but I am self-conscious of my slow pace and really want to improve my fitness.) Or should I cap runs at 30 minutes during the summer and wait until it's more comfortable again to run longer?

Thanks for listening to my vent. :P

I'm late to answering, but you got absolutely fabulous advice from the hive mind already. Ultimately, just keep in mind that increasing temps are likely to mask any gains you make in fitness during this period of time. You will very likely get slower during the summer and that's ok. The consistent good effort training you put in during the summer will pay off when the temps start to drop again. That's when you'll really see the gains. But doing an easy effort 13 min/mile for 45 min in winter and doing a 14 min/mile for 45 min in summer, but at the same effort level will yield similar benefits despite the pace difference. In the end, effort and duration matter more than the mileage does.

In addition to everything else already mentioned (slow down, pay attention to effort, drink water, extra walk breaks, etc.) be aware of the fade. If you start to see a fade of 30-45 sec/mile, then you've likely pushed too hard. It's time to stop the run. When you go out and reattempt a similar run, be towards the slower end at the start (30-45 sec slower from the get go) and see if the run is more manageable and you can avoid the fade in the training run. If your body is forcing you to slow into a fade, your form is likely to start to suffer and you increase the odds for injury. It's not worth it to push through. The T+D chart is a good starting point adjustment. We're not all the same. So when you encounter a T+D 150, maybe you need a 6% adjustment instead of a 4.5% adjustment. You'll learn that over time about yourself. With that being said, I would recommend you don't exceed what the chart spits out.

@flav did she get an award or trophy? Am wondering if it is a cool Disney thing. Was the monster pic after the race? Either way she is a monster. congrats!
She got to cross a paper banner at the finish line and they sent confetti. Daisy was waving at everyone at the finish line and Donald was there for DD. I will post a recap with the pictures when I download them.

runDisney website states that she will get an award in the mail and I will let you know when she gets it.

Sully and Mike W were one of the characters photo op offered before and after the race. Others were Tow Mater, Jessie and Wall-E.

DD, Sarah, dreamt it, and she did it!
First female runner on the 10k this morning at runDisney Springtime Surprise
🥇🌸

Thanks to all of you for making me a better coach and for all your encouragements 📣 through the years!
That’s fantastic! Huge congrats to both of you!

So happy to report a first for me today. Ran a local 5-K and looking up the results, I finished 1st in my "results" age group (1 of 12 in the 45-49 group). Now unfortunately for awards they combined age groups to do 10 year bands and the 2nd and 3rd place overall runners were in that group along with a bunch of other much faster folks, so no award for me. But you can bet I will print out the certificate showing my place in the smaller age group bands :P . The lesson as always, if you manipulate data enough you can achieve the result you want.

Heading out in a while to cheer at the Boston Marathon (We like the spot just past Kenmore Square under the Charlesgate overpass--it's within a mile or so of the finish, but a mild dead zone.)

Here's a neat article from the NYTimes (free) about one of the elite female runners. Two takeaways that we can all relate to: her coach is on her to slow down some of her training runs, and also not to forget to refuel!

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/16/...NfnNGBRs&giftCopy=4_Disclaimer&smid=url-share

Its marathon morning!! To any of the Dis members running, congrats on the hard work to get there and good luck!! I look forward to getting nothing done till after lunch today lol
Heading out in a while to cheer at the Boston Marathon (We like the spot just past Kenmore Square under the Charlesgate overpass--it's within a mile or so of the finish, but a mild dead zone.)
Have fun and enjoy the day!

DD, Sarah, dreamt it, and she did it!
First female runner on the 10k this morning at runDisney Springtime Surprise
🥇🌸

Thanks to all of you for making me a better coach and for all your encouragements 📣 through the years!
Amazing! Major congrats to her and to you!

Here's a neat article from the NYTimes (free) about one of the elite female runners. Two takeaways that we can all relate to: her coach is on her to slow down some of her training runs, and also not to forget to refuel!

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/16/...NfnNGBRs&giftCopy=4_Disclaimer&smid=url-share
That's great. Thanks for sharing the article.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter