The Running Thread—2023

ATTQOTD: I learned that the more time I put between today and when I did my 2 Bostons, the more I can begin to accept my finishes (one was 14 seconds over 4 hrs and the other I ran with what turned out to be a stress fracture in my hip, but was still under 5 hrs). Or maybe not.....there's still a part of me that feels like I have unfinished business.

Also, judging by the looks on the faces of many elite/top end runners at Mile 25--they suffer just as much as the rest of us. They just do it at a faster pace!

Checked the Boston Marathon off my bucket list today. It was ugly and mentally the hardest race I've ever done. My finish time was over 34 minutes slower than the time I ran to qualify but from mile 10 on it was a mental exercise to finish so I'm calling it a win.

Looking forward to some shorter races once I recover.

Checked the Boston Marathon off my bucket list today. It was ugly and mentally the hardest race I've ever done. My finish time was over 34 minutes slower than the time I ran to qualify but from mile 10 on it was a mental exercise to finish so I'm calling it a win.

Congrats!!

Congrats on finishing!

WTG! Conditions got uglier today than I was expecting--running through the heavy downpour, fog must have been so bone-chilling.

Congrats! Hope you are able to enjoy the city some before returning to normal life.

ATTQOTD: I was reminded again about how hard this race is. Later start. We were still on a bus in Boston heading to the start and I told my friend that I’d be about to finish if in Disney. Technical course with plenty of up/downs and traffic the whole way. The event feels really big so it’s overwhelming. The impact to the quads can not be underestimated. But I have friends that have PR’d here so there’s always a chance to catch a unicorn. I just haven’t figured out how to run very smart here.

But it’s a great experience and if I am able to re-qualify I will certainly return. Amazing volunteers and the energy in the city is contagious. I finished 12+ minutes over my goal, almost 9 minutes slower than last year, and over 17 slower than my qualifier. And I actually liked the rain as the sun typically zaps me. Although there was a bit of a headwind in some spots.

ATTQOTD: I was reminded again about how hard this race is. Later start. We were still on a bus in Boston heading to the start and I told my friend that I’d be about to finish if in Disney. Technical course with plenty of up/downs and traffic the whole way. The event feels really big so it’s overwhelming. The impact to the quads can not be underestimated. But I have friends that have PR’d here so there’s always a chance to catch a unicorn. I just haven’t figured out how to run very smart here.

But it’s a great experience and if I am able to re-qualify I will certainly return. Amazing volunteers and the energy in the city is contagious. I finished 12+ minutes over my goal, almost 9 minutes slower than last year, and over 17 slower than my qualifier. And I actually liked the rain as the sun typically zaps me. Although there was a bit of a headwind in some spots.
Congrats on the run! From what I have heard more people missed their goals that reached them. Was the rain worse than it looked on TV or a head wind? Just curious.

QOTD: Lets discuss running shirts. What type do you run in (material, cut, ect)? Any reason why you picked one over the other?

ATTQOTD: I typically run in short sleeve nylon running shirt. I do have a few singlets and long sleeve shirts, but rarely run in either. The least likely to be used is the long sleeve shirt since it rarely gets cold enough to use them. Made the mistake of running in cotton and those things get heavy since they hold so much moister.

QOTD: Lets discuss running shirts. What type do you run in (material, cut, ect)? Any reason why you picked one over the other?
ATTQOTD: I try to run in the lease amount of clothes as possible (and I am not trying to be funny 🤣 ). I just tend to overheat so if the weather allows me to just wear my sports bra, that's it. 🥵 Otherwise, it's a singlet or if chillier, a singlet with arm sleeves. I am super picky on fabric and seams can be bothersome...some days, I feel like the fussiest toddler when I run. 😂 Less is better for me....

ATTQOTD: I typically run in short sleeve nylon running shirt. I do have a few singlets and long sleeve shirts, but rarely run in either. The least likely to be used is the long sleeve shirt since it rarely gets cold enough to use them. Made the mistake of running in cotton and those things get heavy since they hold so much moister.

I'm with @prncssjas, the less clothing the better. That doesn't always work living in the frozen tundra of Minnesota, but even on the coldest days I put on the least amount possible. It's rare that I start a run without a shirt, but not unusual for it to come off mid-run on really hot days, which usually means anything above 60. As for material it has to be moisture wicking and I prefer singlets, but as it gets colder the sleeves gradually become longer.

I prefer short sleeve nylon material, although in the summer I might have to start running in just a sports bra. My favorite shirts to run in are the runDisney shirts you get with race registration. :D

ATTQOTD: I don't usually have much of an issue with chaffing, so I can kind of wear whatever for tops. I have some raw threads tanks, a super old nike drifit T, but most of the shirts I run in are UA heatgear v-necks. I like these because I can usually get them on clearance or sale for $10-15/ea, and they are pretty consistent so far with the fabric/cut/sizing and have a lot of color options.

Thanks everyone and congrats @cburnett11 on your finish. Legs feel really good today.

QOTD: I run in as little as possible. Generally once it hits 40 that is just shorts. What I do wear I buy quality. The free race shirts are ok and all but once you go to high quality running stuff you won't go back. In winter I always wear merino and have some Smartwool and Tracksmith. Most of my stuff now is Saysky, Soar, Tracksmith, and Janji.

ATTQOTD: It really depends on the weather. As soon as it hits about 16C, I'm running in shorts and a sports bra. In the winter, I'll wear merino wool and then layer a jacket over if necessary. I still haven't gotten used to the in between weather, and I'll usually overdress and be too hot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter