The Running Thread—2023

@princesspirateandrunner Would love it if you can come for the Lake Hartwell Adam Run also! May 6, runsignup.com
Carole is timing.
DH has already signed up for the 10k. I’ve been debating on which one to do, so I haven’t signed up yet. I’m not in racing shape, but we’re committed to doing a half the weekend before in Louisville. I was hoping to be ready to get a PRR time for next year, but that won’t happen. We will plan to be there and have a good time. Can we do a Disboards meetup before the race?

DH has already signed up for the 10k. I’ve been debating on which one to do, so I haven’t signed up yet. I’m not in racing shape, but we’re committed to doing a half the weekend before in Louisville. I was hoping to be ready to get a PRR time for next year, but that won’t happen. We will plan to be there and have a good time. Can we do a Disboards meetup before the race?
Last day to get a shirt (if it matters) is extended to Sunday night since we have to have shirt numbers in on Monday morning. If no shirt, you can register up to May 2, I think? I’m doing 10k and if today is any indication, I’ll be 12-12:30 pace.

I’ll be giving out bibs, so I hope I’ll see everyone at those tables first, but I’ll turn over whatever is left to someone who is not running about 15 minutes before the 10K starts to get prepared to run. How about if y’all meet up near the finish line (just across the circle from bib pick up and start line) which is easy to spot and I’ll join you when I can. Also, after he finishes putting out mile markers and setting up water stops, DH will most likely end up in that area.

Also, FYI there is no start mat, so if going for time, you need to line up on the front left, as there is an almost U-turn onto the highway just after the start.

Can’t wait to see a few Disfriends at the race. And sorry to miss all who live too far away from NE Georgia to run the Lake Hartwell Dam Run 5k/10K: Best Race by a Dam Site!:cool1:

Race Recap - 13.1 miles in Hawaii

What: Halapula Half
Where: Honolulu, HI
When: Sunday April 16
Who: DH and I plus ~6,000 runners
Why: DH had a conference in Honolulu and the timing worked out perfectly to tag along and do the half.

Race Logistics:
The race starts on the road next to Waikiki Beach. There are tons of hotels and restaurants within walking distance. No bib pickup race morning. Expo was super small but well organized. Race starts at 6 am, which considering jet lag, was perfect.

Race course:
Course runs towards downtown Honolulu past a shopping area and marina. It then loops back down the main Waikiki road with lots of cheering spectators. Around mile 9 you start running uphill around iconic Diamond Head Crater. The hill is over a mile long and is no joke. The last 1.5 miles is pure bliss with a major downhill and stunning ocean views. They had reliable water and Gatorade stops with Gatorade clearly marked before water. Some races (not Disney) screw this up, so I really appreciate races that get it right. I don't know what flavor the Gatorade was but it tasted like coolant you put in your car. I've never shared the passion of some people's Gatorade flavor opinions, until now. Holy cow, it was nasty.

Finish line:
Finish line food included some fun unique things like pineapple juice, coconut water, malasadas (like Hawaiian donuts), and moon pies. They had live music which was lots of fun. Plus, showers to rinse off the sweat!

My race:
I really focused on maintaining a positive, grateful mental attitude the entire race and was successful. I never hated running and questioned why I was doing it. This is a huge improvement over my last half, so I'm calling it a win. Overall, my pace was 10:09, compared to 10:04 in my last half and my 10:01 PR. Given the humidity (which reminded me of Disney) and my overall enjoyment, I'll gladly take it.

Overall thoughts:
I'd 100% recommend this race if you are looking for a race in Hawaii. Absolutely beautiful and well organized.
20230416_061712.jpg
20230416_065029.jpg
20230416_074848.jpg
20230416_075925.jpg
20230416_091437.jpg

First race in the books. Tar Heel Ten miler in Chapel Hill, NC with my oldest daughter and son-in-law. I ran this race 8 years ago - I remember it being very hard and being in great shape,

First time in 3 and half years breaking double digits on my runs. In March, I ran 8,9 and then 10 on 3 Saturdays. Felt solid and good. Was suppose to do 10 Saturday before Easter - it was 40 and raining, and with a trip to Keys the next day I bailed. Did 5 plus on the treadmill. I planned 5 miles the day we got back from the Keys (I did run two 5 k training runs in the Keys)l; but that was thwarted. We missed our flight in Miami and ended up with a 14 hour car ride home. Ran a day late but between my missed 10 miles and then missing the 5 warm down, my training was officially off kilter. The Car ride was a bit unnerving to say the least and exhausting. The week leading into the race was exhausting. Drove up Friday, got our bib from our kids.

Race day was going to be dicey with storms predicted. My wife dropped me off (she went to see her Dad). The 4 miler left 30 minutes earlier as some folks do the 4 and then 10. !0 miler lines up and I am hopeless behind in the corral . The 9:30 pacer is so far ahead. We take off and its just a wall of people. Goal was 9:30s for the race, knowing I needed to be closer to 9s on the first half. I just could not get any rhythm and the crowds made it really hard to move. The first 5 miles do a snake dance through UNC Chapel Hills campus and main drag Franklin Street. I ran this race 8 years ago but the race course is very different.

The first water stop was at 5 miles and it was chaos. Too many people at once. I hat walking the water stops but it had to be, The weather was warmer than predicted, with no wind and decent humidity. Storms were coming. I took an energy gel at 5 miles which was a game changer.

In the Corrall it was a madhouse and I was stuck 400 people away from the 9:30 pacer. It was a sign.

The last 5 miles of this course is all hills, with steep downhills and uphills. the last 1.5 is just pure uphill. I walked part of it to catch my breath. My heart rate broke 150 (I am 55) at mile 3 and stayed there for the last 7 miles, with the exception of the water breaks. The humidity really made me want to get water. My goal was 9:30 miles and I was off. The incredible crowd made it really hard in the "easy" miles to create pace. I saw a college kid down hard at mile 8. My daughter saw another as she entered the huge hill.

We all got done and everyone in our little group was glad to be done. It was one tough race, almost impossible to train for.

The weather played havoc. I know 2 races that got called off in the eastern part of the state. As we finished, the race director was clearing the venue. We finished at just over a 10 minute mile. They closed the course for 2 hours; they did resume it but would think a bunch of folks simply went on home and did not finish.

Next up is a 4th of July 7,4k. My days of 10 plus are numbered. Only if a relative asks will ever go more than say a 10k race.

ATTQOTD Now it’s because I’ve found that I enjoy running and challenging myself to continually improve. It started in 2016 as the only form of exercise I could do other than stretching and PT after a couple of shoulder surgeries. When I found runDisney and started to really enjoy it, running became a regular habit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter