The Running Thread—2023

Yes! I blame middle school gym class for my running aversion when I was in school. They don't teach running, and then tell you to go out and run a mile. Oh, and then that's supposed to determine how healthy you are??? Yeah right. Between that or the beep test, pushups, situps, and the darn rope climbing, all I found out was I had next to no upper body strength and no idea about pacing.
That was the most annoying part....that they don't teach you how to do any of the Presidential Fitness stuff. Turns out, I loved "fitness" but I hated having to play kickball, dodgeball, lacrosse, all the team PE sports....all the kids that are actually interested in team sports already played it after school! And mixing in athletes and the non-athletic students did absolutely nothing to foster "team" or relationships....in fact it did quite the opposite. I'm so thankful that when my daughter gets to high school soon, they offer "personal fitness" and "yoga/mindfulness" as alternatives to typical PE class.
Ok - off the soap box now......but thank goodness we'all found our way to running despite the horrors of middle school.

QOTD: What are your thoughts on giving (not a resale) a friend or someone in need a race bib that you have but or unable to use for a given race?

ATTQOTD: My first thought is sure why not... but after considering it over some I think its best not to. For example I would be in the 35-39 Male age group. If I gave my bib to someone in their 20's and a seasoned runner they could finish top 3 potentially in my age group, which would take away the actual 3rd place finish to someone who would be in that age group. For a lot of the races, that race time becomes a searchable result associated to myself and would be misleading or could be taken as this person can not run this time at any other point. Then I could be labeled as a cheater. While the intent is a good one to let someone else use a bib you are not going to use, the problems it could cause makes it not worth it imo.

Side Note: I have a race bib I will not be able to use this weekend and thats what got me thinking about this.

QOTDL I was never a runner growing up - think offensive lineman, heavyweight wrestler - built to go 10 yards not 10 miles. Lost 100lbs over 10 years ago, got into triathlon and running. Running is the place where I can zone out, and think. at 55, my years running are numbered but still enjoy it (just getting slower)

at 55, my years running are numbered but still enjoy it (just getting slower)
You have a lot of years left!
I didn't start running until about 55 and 10 years later I'm still going strong. Yes, a bit slower, but still loving it. I find that chasing PRs is not nearly as fulfilling as just getting out and appreciating that I can still finish upright with a smile on my face.

QOTD: What are your thoughts on giving (not a resale) a friend or someone in need a race bib that you have but or unable to use for a given race?

ATTQOTD:
ATTQOTD: Unless I can formally transfer my bib to someone else through the race organization itself legally and ethically, this is a hard no for me. I lose the bib, which can be a bummer but it's the risk I take when I sign up. 😏

FFQOTD: What if runDisney would host a ironman event on property. Would you consider taking part in it? Do you think it would be a sold out event?

ATTQOTD: I ironman event is not on my list to do, but I could see a lot of people being interested in it. The swim portion may cause some concern with the wildlife, but other places deal with the same conditions or possible salt water critters. I really think the bike part could be a bigger problem and then the marathon could probably just use the marathon route. It will probably never happen, but it would be a cool event to watch.

ATTFFQOTD: I can’t swim much thanks to a bum shoulder and haven’t ridden a bike since middle school - it’s a no from me. :rotfl: I do think it would sell out, though. Disney used to host a triathlon, way back. The swim was in Bay Lake or 7 Seas Lagoon, I forget which.

ETA: I found the 2005 press release:
“The triathlon starts at Disney's Contemporary Resort at 7:30 a.m. Participants will encounter a unique and challenging point-to-point format course. The swim will begin at North Beach and dive into Seven Seas Lagoon. The first transition will be staged under the shadows of the monorail beams just outside the theme park. The bike-run transition will be staged at Epcot, with the 10K run taking competitors around World Showcase Lagoon into Future World, past Spaceship Earth and finally outside the Epcot main entrance to the finish line.”

ETA again: also there was a Danskin triathlon series for women, as described here - http://joyfulmiles.com/walt-disney-world-triathlon/

Last edited:
FFQOTD: What if runDisney would host a ironman event on property. Would you consider taking part in it? Do you think it would be a sold out event?

ATTQOTD: I ironman event is not on my list to do, but I could see a lot of people being interested in it. The swim portion may cause some concern with the wildlife, but other places deal with the same conditions or possible salt water critters. I really think the bike part could be a bigger problem and then the marathon could probably just use the marathon route. It will probably never happen, but it would be a cool event to watch.
ATTQOTD: Absolutely!!! I’d enter this in a heartbeat. I’ve heard the one tri held at Disney many years ago was really fun, and I’d love the opportunity to race a half or full distance one there.

I'm done running for the month so here are my totals:
April 2023: Activities: 9 Distance: 29.61 mi Time: 5:51:31 (includes a 15k, and 1 run that I'm considering a 5k)
Successful 300,000 monthly step goal
I took a deload week while on vacation in Washington, DC: That week was 21,000 steps per day of walking, one run along the National Mall, and 5 yoga sessions.

Looking ahead to May 2023: I hope to get another 15k badge from Garmin. I have a plan to run 2x per week, plus strength training and yoga. My Strength training is going to include a focus to increase the number of push-ups I can do in a row - my baseline is 11, but I might take one more baseline test before I start.

Would I sign up for a triathlon at WDW? I don't know how to ride a bike, and I told myself I'd only every race at Disneyland, not WDW.....so it's a no from me dawg.
Would I transfer my bib to someone else? (Or take a bib?) If the person was in my sex/age category I would.

IMG_8403.jpegKeeping the 100/month goal. We’ll see about May soon enough, it will start with shorter runs around Crescent Lake so more fun for sure but harder to get miles on vacation. Drove down to get DD after her first year of college, definitely going to enjoy family time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter