The Running Thread—2023

Yippee. Just booked myself into Business Class to Edinburgh (Yeah, Chase point transfer with bonus miles with Flying Blue) so I can run the race in October I signed up for. (The Dramathon-Half Dram). I'm beginning to like this idea of just traveling to run (not race). This race involves a run along the Spey River ending at Glenfiddich, with whisky samples.

Now to figure out where else I want to go--if I've already crossed the pond, I may as well make it worth the effort.

Last edited:

April has been a very light month for me, focused on recovery from my late March race. I'm trying to avoid the mistake I made last year of jumping back to training too quickly after the March race, which I think set me up for a bad summer of running and issues that carried through the rest of the year. Right now I'm just easing back into light running to get back to maintenance of my base and see if I can get away from the intervals while trying to sort out my fall race plans.

April Training Summary
Running Miles: 63.48 mi
Running Time: 12:01:46
Average Pace: 11:19/mi
Average HR: 143/min
YTD Mileage: 473.26 mi

Other
Walking: 16.33 mi
Rolling yearly running: 1,624.95 mi

April 2023 Summary:

Activities: 17
Total Distance: 75 miles
Duration: 12:05
Average Pace: 9:39

Second month in a row of being consistent. I was running before but not very seriously. I’m preparing for my first ever half marathon. I tied my lifetime long run distance of 8 miles this past Saturday, going for 9 this weekend. I’m hoping for 100+ miles in May.

April Summary
Running total: 75 miles
Avg pace: 10:18 min/mile
Avg length: 5.8 miles
Avg days per week: 2.8 days

DH and I will be running Flying Pig 5k, 10k, and Half in Cincy this coming weekend. Anyone else running it? If you see a 40 yr old-ish couple in RunDisney shirts, say Hi!

I'll be there! I'm running the 5K, 10K, and full. My friend and I will be wearing pig ear headbands and pink tutus. :flower1:

ATTQOTD: Asphalt when I’m outside. I live about two miles from where sidewalks begin. I don’t particularly enjoy sand or dirt. Doesn’t matter how high my socks are. I always end up with sand or tiny rocks inside my sock around the ankle. Drives me bonkers 😆

ATTQOTD: Asphalt here. We live in an area with a parks that are most connected to bike path, all asphalt. I sometimes need to use the bike lane in the road so asphalt there too. Sometimes for longer mileage I run through our university campus which is a mix of bike trail and sidewalk which isn’t my favorite, but I love the scenery so I deal. I’m with @Bree on avoiding sand and dirt. Ick!

ATTQOTD: Almost all of my running is done on concrete sidewalks. There are occasional stretches of asphalt and crushed gravel, but that's about it. There's a park near me that has a bark mulch pathway around it, but I really try to stay away because the energy return is so low. I also actively try to avoid rooty trails, as I'm not a high stepper and have been known to trip easily.

ATTQOTD: depends on the season

Winter is all asphalt road running because I don’t live close enough to any maintained paths. Although this past winter I also found an bubbled artificial turf track to run on when the weather isn’t cooperating.

Summer is roads, blacktop trails, and a nice crushed gravel rail trail. Yes, it sometimes throws gravel into my shoes (though I don’t know how I never feel it pass my heel, it’s just suddenly under my toes like magic), but it doesn’t blast the heat back at me like the blacktop does.

Monthly mileage for April was an all time low....something like 52 miles. I have been suffering so bad with allergies, injuring myself (latest was cutting the back of my ankle open with the bottom of a door in my camper last week 😒) and then being knocked on my *** with whatever virus is going around (fever, sore throat and body aches). I'm having surgery on Thursday and won't be cleared to run for 6 weeks so May will be even worse. I earned the first badge of the Garmin Disney challenge this morning though!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter