The Running Thread—2023

ATTQOTD:
Mostly concrete sidewalks; although I try and run on the asphalt streets where it is safe.
I avoid mud and sand, but there’s really not that much of that around. I also would avoid a larger gravel-ish rail trail - I saw a few people roll their ankles. It’s mostly been concreted over now, though - and the last section of the trail is mostly crushed gravel, and not too bad.

I try to run at least 90% on trail; trail being defined as crushed limestone or dirt and not single track BMX bike trail. Fortunately the middle of the 50 mile trail in the pictures is a mile from my house.

As I've said before, if I had to pound the pavement I don't think I would be a runner.

DPRT05.jpgDPRT2.jpg

ATTQOTD: I’ve got a pretty decent variety of surfaces available within a 5-mile radius of home:
Concrete sidewalks
Asphalt roads and park paths
Dirt park paths
Grass
Wood/faux wood boardwalks
Gravel paths
Sand - packed on paths or loose on the beach
A few VERY short little trails with rocks and roots and such

My preference is anything other than pavement, so I’m very glad I’m able to mix it up on all but the very shortest of runs. And yes, I am THAT person who takes to the grass on the side of the road any time it’s relatively flat, dry, and accessible at WDW races!

My preference is anything other than pavement, so I’m very glad I’m able to mix it up on all but the very shortest of runs. And yes, I am THAT person who takes to the grass on the side of the road any time it’s relatively flat, dry, and accessible at WDW races!
I love blasting up the grass on the side of that ramp before Epcot (right after that awful cloverleaf)—so glad I have hills to train on so I can really enjoy that grass there

ATTQOTD: I’ve got a pretty decent variety of surfaces available within a 5-mile radius of home:
Concrete sidewalks
Asphalt roads and park paths
Dirt park paths
Grass
Wood/faux wood boardwalks
Gravel paths
Sand - packed on paths or loose on the beach
A few VERY short little trails with rocks and roots and such

Me too! My right ITB has been an issue for years, and the grass is significantly more flat than those ramps!

Running Surfaces - Lately I mostly run on asphalt road (in a 0.75 mile loop w/ 2 hills!) Sometimes I venture further away onto asphalt sidewalks, but the sidewalks have bumps and dips...older sidewalks that are not in as good of condition as the loop road that I run on, so it's a give & take situation. As I increased my runs from 2x a week to 4-5x a week I expect I'll venture further away from the loop for changes in scenery.

A couple times a year I run on a trail in the woods that includes brook crossings...it's like a real-life steeple chase. LOL That's where DH runs 10k EOD. He comes home covered in mud a lot of the time....that is not for me!

ATQOTD: I mostly run on pavement/blacktop because it is the most convenient and there isn't really anything I avoid. I don't like super muddy trails but in the spring here that is what you get if you go into the woods.

I wish I lived closer to good trails because I would run them more but I really love the trails, especially in the winter. I try to get to them as often as I can but the really good trails are about 40 minutes away so it requires a bigger time commitment.

ATTQOTD: I do a lot of my running on a rail trail that is about a half mile from my house. It is crushed gravel and mostly flat. I have no problem running on roads and do switch it up a bit, but I find myself mostly on the trail, particularly for speed and long distance workouts.

Interestingly, I used to be 100% treadmill. But switched exclusively to outside when gyms closed for COVID. I much prefer outside now, even with Northeast U.S. winters.

ATTQOTD:
treadmill and asphalt. In the summer I do a little bit of "trail" running that is on a yet-to-be-paved rail trail (that's also snowmobile trail in the winter, so I'm not sure it'll ever get paved) but now that my kids can drive themselves to XC summer running that will be a lot less frequent.

I have to edit my response to add the treadmill. I actually don't mind it that much, especially for shorter easy runs, since I can set the speed and don't find myself speeding up too much. I also like it for intervals since I can set the pace and easily keep track of the time.

I have to edit my response to add the treadmill. I actually don't mind it that much, especially for shorter easy runs, since I can set the speed and don't find myself speeding up too much. I also like it for intervals since I can set the pace and easily keep track of the time.
agree. lots of treadmill running really cemented my easy pace and when I run outside I'm much less likely to overrun my pace than when I was running mostly outside. I run different intervals on my treadmill than I do outside, because I don't like how tedious it is to change the speed setting (outside I usually run 90/30 and right now I'm running 180/60, so the same ratio, just half the speed adjustments)

agree. lots of treadmill running really cemented my easy pace and when I run outside I'm much less likely to overrun my pace than when I was running mostly outside. I run different intervals on my treadmill than I do outside, because I don't like how tedious it is to change the speed setting (outside I usually run 90/30 and right now I'm running 180/60, so the same ratio, just half the speed adjustments)
Yeah, I usually just run straight through on the treadmill, or I do longer intervals for speed work. Changing the speed on mine is especially annoying since it's a super basic treadmill and I can only hit whole numbers and then use arrows to speed up/slow down to decimal places. :P

Changing the speed on mine is especially annoying since it's a super basic treadmill and I can only hit whole numbers and then use arrows to speed up/slow down to decimal places. :P
SAME. That particular function is actually a down-grade from my ooooold treadmill, where I could "quick enter" speeds by pushing just "4" for 4.0 and pushing 3 and then 5 without a big pause to get to 3.5
My "new" tread is definitely better than my old one, but the speed changes are annoying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter