The Running Thread—2023

QOTD: This one could be unpopular... Virtual races, what is your thoughts on them? Do you want to run one or have run? If so why?

ATTQOTD: Virtual races are not for me. The exception would be during covid when a race was shut down and/or travel was not really being allowed. I can understand the part of wanting to be a part of a race you are unable to travel to, or a sold out race. It seems like a lot of race or offering virtual options even when they are not sold out. Curious on everyone's thoughts on this one.

ATTQOTD: I did the virtual races when runDisney changed in-person races I registered for to virtual In 2020 and 2021. Definitely not my thing. I run four to five times a week, and I have so many medals already, that pretending I’m in a race does nothing for me. The only benefit I see is that it possibly eliminates people who register for races just for the medals with no intention of running from taking a spot at a race.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD:

It depends.
TLDR: I'm liked them during Covid, but I'm kind of over them at this point (mostly due to pricing) even though I have FOMO over a lot of the recent medals.

When Princess was cancelled in 2021, SIL and I turned our 10k registrations into 5k+challenge medals-only virtual races for about the same price (I feel like it was within about $40.) It gave me a reason to train (I was just starting out as a runner at that point) and as someone who struggles to fit races into their schedule/life AND has conflicting feelings about non-Disney races, these were great for me. They were my springboard into me committing to running in a much more serious way.

That princess box was delivered shortly before my first race, a half marathon, and we both completed a 10k the day before the race so that we could open those challenge medals once we completed the race. It was great. From there I also got the Asoka Star Wars medal, the Lion King summer series, and ultimately signed up for in-person Goofy. (And then another full-slate of princess medals, Frozen medals, and DH for W&D last year.)

At this point, I'm kind of tired of them. Probably because I know how much fun REAL disney races are, but also I don't like how much that Disney, specifically, charges for their virtuals. The fact that I use them for training also makes them feel less "earned" at this point, which is ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is the fact that I'm unwilling to buy someone else's medal.

But then I also had FOMO over the princess medals from this year, and the SS medals, even though I wasn't willing to pay. Same goes for the challenge/Figment for W&D this year.

ATTQOTD: I started out LOVING virtual races, before I ever got into running. The medals were a way to get myself off my butt and out walking. I signed up through Yes.Fit and did long distance challenges, so it took a while to earn the medals. Now, they’ve mostly got short distances, like 30 miles or less and that’s just not worth it. I have too many medals as it is. So I’ll only do virtual if it’s something really really good.

ATTQOTD: I really have no opinion on virtual races. Do them if they make you happy, I say! I don’t even want 95% of the in-person medals I get, so that holds no interest for me as far as virtuals go. BUT I did opt to do the virtual COVID Dark Side races because it was my favorite race weekend, I’d been a Perfect Sith up to that point, and I was trained and wanted that half medal. I Photoshopped my own pics “with” the 501st and it was pretty awesome, lol! I’d still rather have had it be in-person, though.

ATTQOTD: They worked well as consolation events during the pandemic. Now that real races are back, I have no interest in them. The only exception is if I run/race somewhere in the world and I want a souvenir but there is no formal race when I am there or they don’t provide medals. Then I might compensate by buying a medal from a virtual race.

ETA: I was kind of sad to realize that almost 30% of my medals are from virtual races. But then, the pandemic represents about that amount of time in my racing career. :rolleyes2

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: Virtual was kinda neat at the start of the pandemic. Now it’s just a money grab for most companies, IMO. I have signed up for a few Disney virtuals (summer series and canceled races) and the medals are still in their boxes and packaging. Now I don’t bother and keep the money in the bank 😂

ATTQOTD: As many have said already, virtual runs were great motivators to stay active during the early part of the pandemic (CRAW, especially) and they provided a way to maintain a connection with and momentum for events that had become a habit (Virtual Dopey, for instance) while they were on hiatus. With the return of in-person events, I don't see myself doing any more virtuals, but if RunDisney wants to keep offering them, I'm all for it, especially if it provides even a small easing of in-person registration congestion.

Virtual Races: I've never registered for an official Virtual Race, but I do give myself "time trials" at the end of some training blocks which I consider a virtual race of sorts. Even though I'm alone I mark it in my Garmin as "race". I got my Garmin during the pandemic. I actually haven't been to a real in-person race w/ my Garmin yet!

I think runDisney virtual races are a great stepping stone for people that are working their way up to the 16 min mile pace if they need the bling for the motivation to keep with it.

QOTD: This one could be unpopular... Virtual races, what is your thoughts on them? Do you want to run one or have run? If so why?

I'm not a huge fan of individual virtual races. I don't need a medal to convince me to go for a specific run.

That being said, I am a huge fan of cumulative mileage goals over a period of time. For instance, this is my fourth year attempting to "run the year" (spoiler: I have never actually hit the mileage goal, but I keep trying) and right now I'm doing the "Keys 100" which is 100 intentional miles in eight weeks. Once I finally get my "run the year" title, then I want to do the Amerithon to "walk" across the United States.

I think virtual races are a great option for people who are unable to attend in-person races due to budget, not being able to get time off work/school, etc. Also for people who have medical issues that might keep them from the 16 minute/mile pace, not to mention those with anxiety. I don't have an official diagnosis of anxiety but I get extremely anxious while in the corrals. During my first race I swore I'd never do another one because it was so crowded. But I learned how to deal with it and now by the time I start the race, I'm good.

ATTQOTD: like a lot of posts, I don't like doing virtuals. It means another run around my neighborhood. I did them during COVID to do something, and now I'm definitely doing in person races. I did do the virtual Princess in 2021 because I wanted that medal!

QOTD: Not running related question today. Which one do you like more... May the 4th be with you or Cinco de Mayo and why?

ATTQOTD: While I fella really likes some Star Wars, chips and queso with a margarita on the rocks is hard to beat!
I don't think you can compare the two, Cinco de Mayo is a real holiday with historical and cultural significance. May the 4th is just for fun.

QOTD: Both! I'm not a huge Star Wars fan but I love holidays that come without pressure, so this week is fun. I've got a themed dinner planned for tonight, then we'll probably go out tomorrow. I also love the March series of special days: Pi Day, Ides, and St. Patrick's day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter