The Running Thread—2023

I like may the 4th. In fact today I led a star wars themed storytime only to find out none of the littles knew what star wars was. They still had fun(who wouldn't when making tie fighter s out of frosting, marshmallows and graham crackers?). And I wore my rundisney princess Leia aren't you a little slow for a stormtrooper shirt.

@Disney at Heart and all the DisFriends going to the Dam race, I’m sorry that DH and I won’t be joining you after all. We came back sick from our trip to Louisville last weekend, and don’t think it would be wise or responsible to race tomorrow. I’d hate to expose anyone else to this junk, and all the coughing suggests that running is out of the question, anyway. We’ll be thinking of you, and hope to see you at Peachtree. Have a great race!

1. Beware the revenge of the 5th

2.I find myself accidentally cross-posting again, so hopefully this is the right place....
Knee twinged on Mon in the middle of a run and I called the wife to come get me. Ice and three days of (mostly) taking it easy, plus a knee brace and I managed 4 miles today without any problems. Fingers crossed that the brace is all that is needed. I know that my joints will eventually deteriorate, but I'm hoping that this isn't that day.
Pretty pleased with this. Mile 2 has the big hill in it, thus the drop in pace:
1683303860743.png

Wow! I missed three QOTD…. Quick responses:

Running surface: I prefer trails, nothing too technical but certainly dirt and in the woods!

Virtual Races: I did the virtual Dopey in 21. Even got up and mimicked the day and times of the races. Proud to finish, not even close to the same. I did really enjoy being part of our Craw Team. It provided connections, support and motivation. Here’s to It’s A Small World!

May 4th vs. Cinco de Mayo: my family is from Mexico so my vote is an easy Cinco de Mayo 🇲🇽 🇲🇽 🇲🇽

Have a nice weekend!

So I’ve missed my fair share of races over the years because of injury but this is a new one for me. Two days before my HM and this “little” friend (11.7mm) decided to make its presence known in my kidney. So will be looking for new HM later this summer to try and get my POT if anyone has good suggestions for anything around Georgia or Atlanta.

Attachments

• IMG_3656.jpeg
    IMG_3656.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 61
April stats - between vacation (Key largo was incredible), work trips, and a race it's the lowest monthly total in a long, long time. Spent 4 Fridays in April in 4 different places - which really contributed.

Ran 63 miles (10 was race day) and biked 183. Biking in particular was low.

45th Annual Lake Hartwell Dam Run. Unofficially 59:42 for me. I'm happy with that.

We had a little runDisney reunion before and after the race, including a post race snack picnic.

Left to right: me, Mr. @garneska, @garneska, @Disney at Heart. And Whisky, the star of the show in front!

Enjoyed it! See you at Peachtree and at next year's Dam run. Maybe we'll throw in the 10 Miler too.

Attachments

• IMG_3177.JPG
    IMG_3177.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 59
So I’ve missed my fair share of races over the years because of injury but this is a new one for me. Two days before my HM and this “little” friend (11.7mm) decided to make its presence known in my kidney. So will be looking for new HM later this summer to try and get my POT if anyone has good suggestions for anything around Georgia or Atlanta.
Oof. That's a bummer. I hope your new friend moves out soon. Time for some rides on Big Thunder?

45th Annual Lake Hartwell Dam Run. Unofficially 59:42 for me. I'm happy with that.

We had a little runDisney reunion before and after the race, including a post race snack picnic.

Left to right: me, Mr. @garneska, @garneska, @Disney at Heart. And Whisky, the star of the show in front!

Enjoyed it! See you at Peachtree and at next year's Dam run. Maybe we'll throw in the 10 Miler too.
It was a good race, made even better with a chance to see you all! Congrats to @garneska for getting that POT and Mr. @garneska for hanging in there right with her! And thanks to @OldSlowGoofyGuy for posting our picture, Mrs. @OldSlowGoofyGuy for hanging with Whiskey during the race and being our photographer! DH was there, but tied up since he is a race director. We’ve had a busy week and plan to unwind next week at F&G festival!
We missed @princesspirateandrunner! Hope you guys feel better soon!

Race Recap 45th Annual Lake Hartwell Dam Run 10K

Goals:
1. Hope the knee is ok and survives
2. Run a good and smart race (because of said knee I have not RACED in a long time)
3. POT for HM coral A so under 54:45

This race was two hours north of us. We left atlanta at 5:30. Whisky came with as i did not want to look her up for hours. Plus it would mess up her morning routine with breakfast and potty times. Once there we got our bibs, shirts, and hit the bathroom. Whisky did really good walking around with all the people. We were waiting for @OldSlowGoofyGuy and Mrs Oldslowgoofyguy to arrive since, Mrs was going to watch Whisky for us. We all met up and handed Whisky off and lined up.

This was the first time i ran this race. It was a nice easy down hill for about a 1 mile. Then a rough up hill and then slightly easier uphill. You turned around and then it was basically flat.

Mile 1: Downhill ran this smart 8:33 mile. Did not want to go out too fast but wanted to use that downhill.
Mile 2: Uphill, uff, 9:22 but honestly i took it well. DH was on my tail. That hurt him in the end.
Mile 3: Finish the uphill and get to the turn around 8:51. I was not sure how much hill would be left so i stayed comfortable.
Mile 4: Getting on the dam path 8:37. I barely started to open up. This was my one mistake as soon as i hit the path i should have started the increasing the speed. I was not sure if i could hang on so i still did this one conservative.
Mile 5: Flat and chasing people down 8:32.
Mile 6: Flat and i could see us reaching the parking lot 8:13.
Finish: 54 even. I looked at my watch and pushed hard trying to get in just under 54 but i did not make it.

While crushed at the end for that last push, i felt good. Good enough i could have run more, that is why i think i hit the throttle a little late. FYI DH finished in 55:22. He was training for POT under 61, i thought he would do 58 so he crushed it.

This was a great flat race. I ended up first in my age group. @Disney at Heart and Mr Disney at Heart had a great race going there. it was a beautiful course and outside of that one hill flat and fast. We hope to do it again next year. Now i can coast at PTRR.

8CD8E0AE-C766-402C-A63F-990A8BC04FCE.jpeg

Race Recap 45th Annual Lake Hartwell Dam Run 10K

Goals:
1. Hope the knee is ok and survives
2. Run a good and smart race (because of said knee I have not RACED in a long time)
3. POT for HM coral A so under 54:45

This race was two hours north of us. We left atlanta at 5:30. Whisky came with as i did not want to look her up for hours. Plus it would mess up her morning routine with breakfast and potty times. Once there we got our bibs, shirts, and hit the bathroom. Whisky did really good walking around with all the people. We were waiting for @OldSlowGoofyGuy and Mrs Oldslowgoofyguy to arrive since, Mrs was going to watch Whisky for us. We all met up and handed Whisky off and lined up.

This was the first time i ran this race. It was a nice easy down hill for about a 1 mile. Then a rough up hill and then slightly easier uphill. You turned around and then it was basically flat.

Mile 1: Downhill ran this smart 8:33 mile. Did not want to go out too fast but wanted to use that downhill.
Mile 2: Uphill, uff, 9:22 but honestly i took it well. DH was on my tail. That hurt him in the end.
Mile 3: Finish the uphill and get to the turn around 8:51. I was not sure how much hill would be left so i stayed comfortable.
Mile 4: Getting on the dam path 8:37. I barely started to open up. This was my one mistake as soon as i hit the path i should have started the increasing the speed. I was not sure if i could hang on so i still did this one conservative.
Mile 5: Flat and chasing people down 8:32.
Mile 6: Flat and i could see us reaching the parking lot 8:13.
Finish: 54 even. I looked at my watch and pushed hard trying to get in just under 54 but i did not make it.

While crushed at the end for that last push, i felt good. Good enough i could have run more, that is why i think i hit the throttle a little late. FYI DH finished in 55:22. He was training for POT under 61, i thought he would do 58 so he crushed it.

This was a great flat race. I ended up first in my age group. @Disney at Heart and Mr Disney at Heart had a great race going there. it was a beautiful course and outside of that one hill flat and fast. We hope to do it again next year. Now i can coast at PTRR.

View attachment 759161
Congrats!!

One of my favorite weekends of the year here in Pittsburgh, marathon weekend. I just did the half. I probably jinxed the weather last when I said the forecast was looking ideal. It ticked up to the upper 50s at the start, but it was overcast so it wasn't that bad. The goal was anything sub-1:30. I finished in 1:29:00. Aside from the twelfth mile which is all uphill (7:04), everything else was between 6:35 and 6:48. It's always a really enjoyable race. Seemed like there was many more spectators out on the course than in years past.

The organizers took a page out of the runDisney playbook by shooting off fireworks at the start of each corral. Only thing is, they were for about two minutes straight each time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter