The Running Thread—2023

Race Recap: York (Pa.) Half Marathon - May 7, 2023

I set a PR! But it wasn't a great race. Here's why...

I've used @DopeyBadger training plans in the past, but decided to not ask him for a training plan following the Disney Marathon in January. Instead, I adapted some past plans and even worked in a sixth day of running many weeks in preparing for this race. My training went well, and I felt like I was well-prepared for this race.

The weather was good. It was upper 40s at the start and was upper 50s by the end, although it did get a little humid over the final 20 minutes. No precipitation. Flat course on a rail trail.

There were 334 total finishers in the race and I placed in the top 20, which I was pleased with. I also set a PR by just over a minute, which I was also pleased with. I definitely did not negative split, though.

I went into the race hoping to do about a 7:05 pace, which would have given me a PR. Well, I started out a lot fast. I was at a 6:50 pace through 6 miles, and while I slowed down to 7:00 for miles 7 and 8, that was still faster than planned. I posted a 6:51 for mile 9 and then I collapsed. My plan was to take a gel at the water stop just past mile 9. I felt like I wasn't going to be able to take it and keep running my pace, so I gave myself permission to walk. That opened the floodgates and I probably walked six or seven different times over the final four miles, including once with only .20 to go (why!?). It shows how mental running is.

I knew I was going way too fast, but was feeling good and sticking with some fellow runners, so after a couple of miles I decided to just go for it and see how long I could keep up the faster pace. I wasn't sure if I would tucker out at mile 7, 9, 12 or never. Unfortunately, my mental side took over around mile 9 and I couldn't push through anymore. Interestingly, my final pace ended up being ~7:05, so I met my goal, just not in the way I envisioned.

Some things I learned...
- The ~6:50 pace is sustainable for me, just not yesterday and maybe not for a full 13.1
- I like having other runners near me over the final few miles of a half to help push me (I did not have other runners near me in this race)
- I haven't had a strong desire to walk in a half in a long time. I need to be aware of the possibility and to be ready to combat it mentally in the future.

Overall, the half marathon was good. The YMCA that hosted the race even had shower facilities available for runners. My wife, especially, appreciated that so she didn't need to ride an hour and 45 minutes home with a smelly runner.

I did meet one person who finished ahead of me who is a Perfect Dopey runner. I also placed third in my age group, the highest I think I've ever placed.

There is also a marathon that started an hour before the half. There were about 200 runners in that. Again, a nice flat course. The first-place marathon runner crossed the finish line about two minutes after I did. Incredible!
Wait
What?????
DW was also in the half marathon.
She’s working on her race report now.

ATTQOTD: It can be hard to predict summer pop-up thunderstorms or accurately time out the arrival of a line if storms where I am, so I've definitely been caught out in unanticipated storms. As long as there's no lightning, I'll finish the run, regardless of how hard the rain is coming down. In the event of lightning, I take shelter under the awning of a local business, police station or church. I'll either call my wife on the Apple Watch to come pick me up or, if she's not available, I'll wait out the lightning and then resume the run.

I've used @DopeyBadger training plans in the past, but decided to not ask him for a training plan following the Disney Marathon in January. Instead, I adapted some past plans and even worked in a sixth day of running many weeks in preparing for this race. My training went well, and I felt like I was well-prepared for this race.

The weather was good. It was upper 40s at the start and was upper 50s by the end, although it did get a little humid over the final 20 minutes. No precipitation. Flat course on a rail trail.

There were 334 total finishers in the race and I placed in the top 20, which I was pleased with. I also set a PR by just over a minute, which I was also pleased with. I definitely did not negative split, though.

I went into the race hoping to do about a 7:05 pace, which would have given me a PR. Well, I started out a lot fast. I was at a 6:50 pace through 6 miles, and while I slowed down to 7:00 for miles 7 and 8, that was still faster than planned. I posted a 6:51 for mile 9 and then I collapsed. My plan was to take a gel at the water stop just past mile 9. I felt like I wasn't going to be able to take it and keep running my pace, so I gave myself permission to walk. That opened the floodgates and I probably walked six or seven different times over the final four miles, including once with only .20 to go (why!?). It shows how mental running is.

I knew I was going way too fast, but was feeling good and sticking with some fellow runners, so after a couple of miles I decided to just go for it and see how long I could keep up the faster pace. I wasn't sure if I would tucker out at mile 7, 9, 12 or never. Unfortunately, my mental side took over around mile 9 and I couldn't push through anymore. Interestingly, my final pace ended up being ~7:05, so I met my goal, just not in the way I envisioned.

Some things I learned...
- The ~6:50 pace is sustainable for me, just not yesterday and maybe not for a full 13.1
- I like having other runners near me over the final few miles of a half to help push me (I did not have other runners near me in this race)
- I haven't had a strong desire to walk in a half in a long time. I need to be aware of the possibility and to be ready to combat it mentally in the future.

Overall, the half marathon was good. The YMCA that hosted the race even had shower facilities available for runners. My wife, especially, appreciated that so she didn't need to ride an hour and 45 minutes home with a smelly runner.

I did meet one person who finished ahead of me who is a Perfect Dopey runner. I also placed third in my age group, the highest I think I've ever placed.

There is also a marathon that started an hour before the half. There were about 200 runners in that. Again, a nice flat course. The first-place marathon runner crossed the finish line about two minutes after I did. Incredible!
You didn’t happen to see a guy with a large greyhound around mile 1.4 on the left side of the course?
That was me and Austin waiting to surprise DW.

ATTQOTD: a lot of our storms are fronts that move in from system changes over Lake Michigan, so we can generally see them (and hear them) developing over the lake; sometimes we get some pretty awesome shelf clouds with these.
8D6AC184-5E17-4028-B928-376836DC47A2.jpeg
There are certain weather patterns though, where stuff flares up just off-shore and we can have little to no warning from radar, but it's one of those things where as locals, we know that conditions are ripe for something to just rip through. Since our storms tend to have "lake effect" properties, they can be pretty severe pretty quickly, so I tend to obsessively check the radar before a longer run (more than 5 or 6 miles) since those will put me more than 3 miles from home. Someone from home can come pick me up if needed, or I would feel comfortable knocking on a door, or hiding out under a stranger's porch or wood shed if needed.

This is also why I'm happy I have a treadmill. I just don't mess around with bad weather.

Last edited:
My house is in a community that has a lot of individual subdivisions, so I can get a pretty decent length run without going too far from home. I tend to run in the mornings or at night, but I won't run outside if it's threatening storms. Definitely don't want to mess with that in Florida. I'll suffer with the treadmill.

You didn’t happen to see a guy with a large greyhound around mile 1.4 on the left side of the course?
That was me and Austin waiting to surprise DW.
I remember seeing some people with dogs, but don't specifically remember a greyhound. But I'm guessing I saw you.

I hope your DW had a good time at the race and was surprised when she saw you! I look forward to reading her recap.

Some things I learned...

Congratulations on your PR!

As DH said, I (Christine) did this race also and am hoping to post a report. Explaining to everyone here - the reason you had nobody around you was because you were so fast!!:cool1:

I knew that where I was running in the pack I would have some other half runners around me and many marathoners around me.

I do all of my long runs on this rail trail and am very comfortable with it. It is very easy to get into a faster pace than intended.

Even though this was the first time I did the race, I think I can say I'm glad you enjoyed our city's half marathon!

So I’ve missed my fair share of races over the years because of injury but this is a new one for me. Two days before my HM and this “little” friend (11.7mm) decided to make its presence known in my kidney. So will be looking for new HM later this summer to try and get my POT if anyone has good suggestions for anything around Georgia or Atlanta.
With Atlanta heat, I think we're out of options other than numerous 5ks and 10ks until September.
I see the Boston Bound Marathon and half-marathon up here in the Johns Creek area on Sep 3rd. Not sure what else is around here before October.

With Atlanta heat, I think we're out of options other than numerous 5ks and 10ks until September.
I see the Boston Bound Marathon and half-marathon up here in the Johns Creek area on Sep 3rd. Not sure what else is around here before October.

(fellow ATLien here) I'm a big fan of the Roswell Half in mid august.

https://www.alienhalf.com/

The weather turned quickly with lightning and thunder rolling in while we were in an open section of the course running across a long bridge. I was terrified. I put distance between DH and myself so that if lightning struck nearby only one of us would die and our kids wouldn't be orphaned. I mentally went to a really dark place! We stopped under an overpass the first chance we got off the bridge until the lightning and thunder stopped.
What a horrible thing to have to think about during a race. I'm glad you made it out safely.

About Flying Pig...

I ran the Saturday races and the full marathon on Sunday and here are my thoughts:

1) In defense of the race directors, people are always going to be angry and upset about something. If they cancelled, people would be angry, if they delayed, people would be angry. People were angry that they didn't force us off the streets to take shelter and they were angry that they let the majority continue to run. You're never going to make everyone happy.

2) Weather is unpredictable. The local meteorologists had it wrong. They said that the first round was going to be mostly just rain and not much lightning. They said it was the second round coming two hours after that was more concerning. Well, they had it backwards!!

3) Everyone had a choice that morning. If you don't feel safe running in a thunderstorm, then sleep in and don't run, or run and seek shelter until it passes.

4) I love thunderstorms. I chose not to stop and I was comfortable in that decision. The nonstop hills, the rain, the puddles, the drenched clothing & shoes, the chafing, all made for my most challenging marathon to date, but it was also the most memorable. With the crazy weather and the absolutely amazing volunteers & crowd support, that race will be one of my all time favorites.

5) The Flying Pig is a fantastic race. I enjoyed the entire weekend immensely and would highly recommend it. I enjoyed it just as much as any Disney race. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

ATTQOTD: I have run several times in the rain, once in sneaux, and once in sleet. While I have been caught in some bad rain storms there was not much I could have done other than to run back to my truck or home and I did not have a shorter way back. Its a little sketchy when there's lightning and high winds because most of my running is around huge oak trees. I just end up running faster to shelter lol. I love extreme weather though so some of those runs happen on purpose.

About Flying Pig...

I ran the Saturday races and the full marathon on Sunday and here are my thoughts:

1) In defense of the race directors, people are always going to be angry and upset about something. If they cancelled, people would be angry, if they delayed, people would be angry. People were angry that they didn't force us off the streets to take shelter and they were angry that they let the majority continue to run. You're never going to make everyone happy.

2) Weather is unpredictable. The local meteorologists had it wrong. They said that the first round was going to be mostly just rain and not much lightning. They said it was the second round coming two hours after that was more concerning. Well, they had it backwards!!

3) Everyone had a choice that morning. If you don't feel safe running in a thunderstorm, then sleep in and don't run, or run and seek shelter until it passes.

4) I love thunderstorms. I chose not to stop and I was comfortable in that decision. The nonstop hills, the rain, the puddles, the drenched clothing & shoes, the chafing, all made for my most challenging marathon to date, but it was also the most memorable. With the crazy weather and the absolutely amazing volunteers & crowd support, that race will be one of my all time favorites.

5) The Flying Pig is a fantastic race. I enjoyed the entire weekend immensely and would highly recommend it. I enjoyed it just as much as any Disney race. I would do it again in a heartbeat!
I don't think I'll every run Flying Pig, so I don't have a horse in this race, but....

If people (not just you, I keep seeing a lot of people say the same thing) should just decide for themselves, what is the point of having a race director? Aren't they in charge of safety? Of both the runners and the people staffing the aid stations? Their job isn't to make everyone happy, it's to keep people safe.

Someone else (in this thread...I'm not going back to look) said they had friends who ran it (and IIRC) who thought it should have been delayed or cancelled, but ran anyway and never felt like they were in danger. That's such a huge contradiction, and I just don't understand.

I get that this was a complex situation, but the more I read, the more it looks like they just absolutely bungled the entire thing.

ATTQOTD: Depends. On a warm to hot day (above 50*) and no lightning, I throw my head back, let out a woop, and just enjoy it. If it's freezing rain I just tell myself to "embrace the suck" and keep going. If there is a lot of lightning I cut the run short. I'm usually in the woods so there is generally no place to seek shelter except back in my car.

Its a little sketchy when there's lightning and high winds because most of my running is around huge oak trees. I just end up running faster to shelter lol. I love extreme weather though so some of those runs happen on purpose.
Yep, that tracks with me! Giant oaks and pines everywhere… I generally just hope they get the hit instead of me. I’ve definitely run through a few named storms. We’re, um… special… down in hurricane country, right?! :rotfl:

(fellow ATLien here) I'm a big fan of the Roswell Half in mid august.

Thanks to you both. Pickings are definitely slim and same is true in Dallas, TX area too given the heat. Pretty much narrowed it down to either the Area 13.1 HM in August or the Vibha Dream Mile HM in mid-September (assuming the Peach Jam HM doesn't come back on Labor Day now that Greenway construction is "done"). The course for last year's Dream Mile HM is just up the road from me, but worries me a bit that they don't have registration open yet for 2023 although they show a date. Glad to hear positive reviews on Alien Half and it may bump that one to the top. Haven't done an evening race before so that could be interesting.

Hope to get procedure finally done next week so I can get back out on the roads. Tried short run yesterday and even shorter walk this morning and unfortunately results weren't good so definitely ready to get rid of this thing!

Vent: I followed a new running account on instagram and the first post I saw on my feed was all about how he doesn't like treadmills. 😬 Like yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of them either, but I live in the land of heat and thunderstorms and have a clingy toddler. Sometimes they are very necessary!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter