The Running Thread—2023

Vent: I followed a new running account on instagram and the first post I saw on my feed was all about how he doesn't like treadmills. 😬 Like yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of them either, but I live in the land of heat and thunderstorms and have a clingy toddler. Sometimes they are very necessary!
I'm curious...which IG account is this?

Vent: I followed a new running account on instagram and the first post I saw on my feed was all about how he doesn't like treadmills. 😬 Like yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of them either, but I live in the land of heat and thunderstorms and have a clingy toddler. Sometimes they are very necessary!
I live in the land of wind and ice/snow in the winter. Yes the treadmill is necessary. It's not ideal, and necessary sometimes.

It’s not my account - I don’t post on Insta! But I understand the hatred: I despise running on the treadmill with every fiber of my being. I’ll only use it in extreme desperation and will happily endure all but the very most dangerous of weather to avoid it! A huge part of what I enjoy most about running is being outdoors, so if for whatever reasons I can’t be outdoors, I’d rather do another kind of workout altogether.

But my hatred of it doesn’t mean I think everyone else should hate it, too. Different strokes for different folks, right?!

~~~

On a semi-related subject, I admitted defeat to the heat and ran at 6am instead of 6pm today… and I’d forgotten how nice that is! Fewer cars and people out there, and I had the whole back 9 of my neighborhood golf course to myself. Birds were chirping, squirrels were scrambling, gators were… gator ing?! IDK - generally hanging out in a water hazard, looking sleepy lol!… and it was 15* cooler than my last evening run. Totally worth the earlier wake-up!

I live in the land of wind and ice/snow in the winter. Yes the treadmill is necessary. It's not ideal, and necessary sometimes.
I live in the land of wind and ice/snow as well and have never once found a treadmill necessary. Treadmills are absolutely demon spawn, and I will avoid them like the plague. I couldn't even tell you the last time I was on a treadmill.

Much like bananas and cilantro (yes, those have been previous running thread topics of discussion), treadmills seem to generate a bimodal distribution of opinion--love or hate, with no middle ground. I haven't run on a TM since I gave up my gym membership, and have managed fine, but I expect that as I get (even) older, I will want one to avoid icy roads.

Much like bananas and cilantro (yes, those have been previous running thread topics of discussion), treadmills seem to generate a bimodal distribution of opinion--love or hate, with no middle ground. I haven't run on a TM since I gave up my gym membership, and have managed fine, but I expect that as I get (even) older, I will want one to avoid icy roads.
I guess I'm confused as to why there's even a debate or concern or need to vent here. Who cares if a random IG account doesn't like treadmills? If they're someone's go-to, whether out of need or preference, go for it! I'll skip a run entirely before I do it on a treadmill, but that's just me. Using a treadmill doesn't reflect on anyone's ability or legitimacy as a runner, either way.

I guess I'm confused as to why there's even a debate or concern or need to vent here. Who cares if a random IG account doesn't like treadmills? If they're someone's go-to, whether out of need or preference, go for it! I'll skip a run entirely before I do it on a treadmill, but that's just me. Using a treadmill doesn't reflect on anyone's ability or legitimacy as a runner, either way.
I was thinking the same thing. I definitely prefer running outdoors but I don’t care if others prefer the treadmill. Different strokes for different folks!

Unless the account was belittling those that use the treadmill, I don’t see the problem in them voicing their preferences. 🤨

I have no beef/rant. Was merely pointing out that some people have strong opinions on certain things where others do not.

@GuinnessRunner i did the Alien Half. It was a couple years ago. There is a pretty big hill in the middle. I vaguely remember it registering short on my Garmin. You might want a head lamp for the end. I remember it being dark at the end for me in the park and it is a bit hard to see (which is the point, but you dont want to fall).

It was less "I don't like treadmills" and more "here are why they're bad for training."
Ah, I see. That’s just… bizarre. Why on earth would they be “bad” for training?! MANY (probably all, really) professional runners use treadmills at one time or another. I think that would be my signal to unfollow lol!

I was just annoyed when I saw it. It was less "I don't like treadmills" and more "here are why they're bad for training." That rubbed me the wrong way. But I'm sorry for bringing it up, I don't want to annoy people either. :(

I think of it more like this:

Outdoor >> Treadmill > Nothing

If you plan to run an outdoors race, you're more likely than not to receive better benefits from running outdoors than running on the treadmill. If you viably have the choice between the two, then outdoor running is going to better simulate the rigors of outdoor racing (hills, uneven foot fall surface, turns, wind, etc.). If however the option is between treadmill or you can't run (either because the outdoor conditions need to be avoided, or because of needing to tend to a child, or any other reason), then the treadmill is the better option than not running at all.

Does that mean you can't exclusively train on a treadmill and then do an outdoors race? Nope. You can do all treadmill miles and then race outdoors. I know firsthand because my 67 year old mom does it that way. She feels safer indoors at the gym and likes to race the "young'ins" running on treadmills around her. That's the best way for her to stay on schedule and thus is the best way for her to train. It probably costs her some in terms of her race performances compared to training outdoors more often, but since she won't train outdoors the treadmill is the better option than inconsistent training.

For years, I only trained outdoors because I didn't have access to a treadmill. It was either run or don't run. We got a treadmill a few years ago, and I use it every once in a while. But speaking from my own experience, I can tell when I've strung together more treadmill miles than outdoors miles in terms of how my body is responding to the training when I get back outdoors more consistently again.

Many professionals use the treadmill for their second/lesser run of the day when doing doubles. It reduces the wear and tear on their bodies, and the point of the second run tends to be more about building a training load volume than the "rigors of outdoor running" adaptations you'd be looking for outdoors. Doesn't mean all pros do it this way either. Plenty of pros do both runs outdoors. And for a second reason, some pros (Galen Rupp comes to mind) use the treadmill for heat acclimation purposes. Running in a controlled environment helping him prepare for an upcoming race. My recollection is he used this in prep for the 2016 Rio Olympics.

ATTQOTD: What was the question again? Ha, thunderstorms. Not something that happens spontaneously on a regular basis here. I try to time my runs for when it is safe and will rearrange a weekly schedule to avoid dangerous weather (storms, extreme temperatures or ice).

That being said…
Bananas ✅
Cilantro ✅
Outdoor >>> Reschedule >>> Other stuff at the gym > Treadmill > Nothing

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter