The Running Thread—2023

I'm a beer snob, but even given that, there are some decent non-alcoholic beers suitable for post race. The Athletic Brewing Company and German import stuff is not bad and would probably work fine.
I generally don't care for beer, but I did try one craft beer that I liked: it was Key lime pie flavored and you could even tasted the whipped cream on top. I don't know how they did it, but they did and it was tasty. No, I don't recall who made it.

So for all the people on here who have reported downtime due to various injuries, you had my sympathies before, but you have even more now. I pulled/strained my quads playing some 1-on-1 in the driveway and re-aggravated them on the cruise in a hoops competition onboard (oops). More days of downtime, but wanting to move around while trying to take it easy, went for a long walk on Monday and still felt them start burning around the mile mark. So now I'm in enforced do-nothing mode trying to let things heal up.
That is so against my nature and it is driving. me. crazy.

Thank you for listening. (Wife has bad knees, so I can't kvetch to her)

My local December race offers a great discount today - 9.3 challenge (5k Friday evening, 10k Saturday morning) - 40 bucks.
Thanks for bringing this up! Looks like a bunch of sales for GRD, including the Rock n Roll series.

Celebratory GRD run was done on the treadmill over here, since the AQI in NYC was hovering around 180 this morning. Hope everyone else (especially those up in Ontario and Quebec) is doing okay! Be safe.

For those of us in the northeast, what are your thoughts about running in all this wildfire smoke? Any concerns? I ran yesterday before it got too bad but it got much worse later in the afternoon and it is still bad today. Not only is it very visible here in Connecticut, you can smell it when you walk outside.

Thanks for bringing this up! Looks like a bunch of sales for GRD, including the Rock n Roll series.

Just wanted to mention RnR is pretty consistently cheaper during their short holiday sale in December, but this is also a good deal if sellouts are a concern.

For those of us in the northeast, what are your thoughts about running in all this wildfire smoke?

I ran in it this morning! That was dumb. Definitely a haze in the not-too-distance, and a thick smoke smell. Luckily I didn't have any issues, but probably tomorrow morning I'll run in a mask.

For those of us in the northeast, what are your thoughts about running in all this wildfire smoke? Any concerns? I ran yesterday before it got too bad but it got much worse later in the afternoon and it is still bad today. Not only is it very visible here in Connecticut, you can smell it when you walk outside.
I googled it this morning found this article breaking down Air Quality Index ranges and whether you should run outside. When I looked before my run today, the AQI here was around 110, and I didn't really have any issues running outside. However, now it's in the 150s, so I guess that would not be a good idea at this point. It sounds like tomorrow might be worse, so we'll see...

I'm new to NE but back in Salt Lake we had stretches with "inversions" where bad air would sit in the valley either from fires or pollution, and often even worse than this. I am pretty sensitive to bad air so I would never run outside in this. If you have to, wear an N95 mask or better for sure. Thankfully we've got some rain and wind today here in northern Vermont so it's slightly better, but I can still feel my eyes itching (and I'm inside with the windows closed).

It's not just the northeast. We're getting a plume of that here in central NC. They've issued a Code Red air quality alert for us today. I still plan to get my run in after work, at this point. I'm hoping we get some showers through to knock down the worst of it this afternoon, but if not I'm going to take it easy and be prepared to bail out of the run if I start having any discomfort.

I didn't get out early enough today and it was pretty bad by the time I did, around lunchtime (I'm in SE PA). I kept it to 3 miles but my eyes & throat were burning by the end. I ran yesterday and the day before so I will probably take a rest day if it's the same situation tomorrow.

my part of Michigan was under an "if you have allergies, stay inside and keep your windows closed" AQI over the weekend. Thankfully, the wind is pushing things away from us at this point, and we are back down to the 50s for AQI. I would definitely run indoors, or significantly shorten runs and/or slow the pace if I had to be outdoors.

Yesterday was terrible in Montreal. We went for a short walk instead of our planned run. Today is acceptable. It depends on the wind.

QOTD: Does your weekly training include any speed work? If yes, where do you do this speed work? On a track? Treadmill? Your local neighborhood? Some where else?

ATTQOTD: My weekly plan for this summer training cycle includes speed work once a week (with some moderate speed spaced far apart from the main speed workout). I used to do most of my speed work on a treadmill (due to timing/safety of a 6am run) but now my coach wants me to get on a track so I am going to the local high school track this weekend. I am hoping this makes a difference but not sure....

It has been hazy here in MA and definitely smells like a camp fire. The air quality has not been that bad, but we have also had a ton of rain.

QOTD: Does your weekly training include any speed work? If yes, where do you do this speed work? On a track? Treadmill? Your local neighborhood? Some where else?

I usually have a track/speed workout every other week and a Magic Mile (which is most accurate on a track) once a month or so.

I am blessed to have almost unlimited access to our local school's outdoor track that is less than a half of a mile from my house. It has everything I could ask for (well-marked rubber surface, access to water fountains and indoor restrooms) and is incredibly welcoming to the general public. In fact, one time there happened to be a sports practice going on when I got to the track and they cleared Lane 1 just for me to use. I feel very, very lucky to have this resource.

I also have access to my gym's indoor track. It isn't quite as nice as the outdoor one, but it is still very convenient and works well when it is too cold, hot, wet, dark to use the outdoor track.

I am blessed to have almost unlimited access to our local school's outdoor track that is less than a half of a mile from my house. It has everything I could ask for (well-marked rubber surface, access to water fountains and indoor restrooms) and is incredibly welcoming to the general public.
That is wonderful! Yes, you are lucky!! I wish I had this! I live about 25 minutes east of Ferry Field, which is the outdoor track at the University of Michigan--it's a wonderful track, open to the public when students aren't using it but no restrooms and a bit of hike so not super close for distance. I am trying a new track this weekend and I hope it works out well.

ATTQOTD: not at the moment, but usually yes, I do a ”speed” workout once a week - it’s kind of pointless from a fitness/pace perspective at this stage of my life, but I really love doing them! It’s the one time I do like to use a treadmill so I can have a flat surface - every road, path and sidewalk here is cambered for rain runoff and my body does not like doing speed repeats on a camber. But sometimes my “speed” workout is in the form of hill repeats and my preference for that is a tall bridge. It’s steeply cambered, too, but if I do my repeats as up-and-overs-and-backs, I figure I’m balancing the camber across both of my sides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter