• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread—2023

Oh yeah, it is totally fun. It is 6.5 miles of party, packed solid with spectators and music, to where I quit taking earbuds.
No, I’ve never gotten a medal; just a shirt.
Yes, hot as all get out, but by getting a seed early in the alphabet (I used to get in the B corral, lately it has been more like F or G) I’m done and headed for the Marta station before the last corrals start and before the sun gets to be too bad.

As I said, I’ll probably do it again, but not this year.

I must have bought the medal and just forgotten that part. But you're right, no need for earbuds! I think my favorite part was the church spraying "holy water" on the runners. Sadly I was NOT seeded early -- I think I was M! But the start area for me was walking distance to where I was staying and an easy MARTA ride back.

I want to progress with my running and have read that strides are a good gateway into speed work before my body is ready for interval sessions (from my understanding, one should wait until you’re running at least 20 miles/week before intense speed sessions). Nonetheless, I feel hopelessly lost with strides. I read that you should not be going at full speed, but at around 95%.

This was my stride session following an easy run earlier this morning. Does this look normal? I don't know if I'm doing a good job or a bad job with strides, but they are enjoyable.

Attachments

• IMG_9581.png
    IMG_9581.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 9
I want to progress with my running and have read that strides are a good gateway into speed work before my body is ready for interval sessions (from my understanding, one should wait until you’re running at least 20 miles/week before intense speed sessions). Nonetheless, I feel hopelessly lost with strides. I read that you should not be going at full speed, but at around 95%.

This was my stride session following an easy run earlier this morning. Does this look normal? I don't know if I'm doing a good job or a bad job with strides, but they are enjoyable.

This is what @DopeyBadger shared with me in regards to strides:

"Strides are short bursts of speed that last no more than 10 seconds. They shouldn't be a sudden burst, but rather a controlled increase in speed (3 sec), maintain (4-5 sec), and then controlled decrease (3 sec). Do no less than 30 seconds (but certainly longer in-between is fine) of continuing the easy run until doing the next stride. You should feel fully recovered between strides before considering doing the next one. The strides should be saved until the last mile of the easy day, or after the easy day is over and post a short stretch (I prefer within my easy run). You should do about 4-5 strides in total."

Nothing like a car running a stop sign and crosswalk that you are in to boost your adrenaline and screw up all of your pacing on your run. I am sick and tired of people who don't understand that Stop does not mean slow roll. Last week a truck stopped at a stop sign and just as I was crossing in front of it decided to start up again. I came within 6 in of being plastered on the road to which the guy responded "Oh sorry I made a mistake."

So a friendly reminder to all my fellow drivers. Please stop completely at stop signs.

You're not going to get good watch data from strides. They're too short for a watch to track accurately. So don't worry about the metrics; just slowly build up to a little less than a full sprint, hang out there for a few seconds, and then gradually slow back to your normal pace.

I don't normally use my watch for strides at all except in that I'm continuing to track my run. Instead I count to 15 in my head between when I start speeding up and when I get back to my easy pace. After each stride, jog until your breathing and HR are back to normal, and then you can do another one if you want.

On the atlanta note (it was kind of sucky this morning at 6:30 T+D 140) but who is going to PTRR and what coral?

I am in E and happy to see the start time is 7:10. tagging the folks who might be going.

@Mr_Incr3dible @OldSlowGoofyGuy @Disney at Heart
I'll be there. I managed to sneak (not illegally, thank you Dam Run!) into group B. I'll drop back to my bro's corral, probably D or E. I'll be running at his pace: 1:17 last year.

Maybe see you at the start, if not, at the finish. Carb-reloading beverage at the ATC after-party?

I lost track, but this is 36-38 in a row for me.

You're not going to get good watch data from strides. They're too short for a watch to track accurately. So don't worry about the metrics; just slowly build up to a little less than a full sprint, hang out there for a few seconds, and then gradually slow back to your normal pace.

I don't normally use my watch for strides at all except in that I'm continuing to track my run. Instead I count to 15 in my head between when I start speeding up and when I get back to my easy pace. After each stride, jog until your breathing and HR are back to normal, and then you can do another one if you want.
Do you feel that doing strides have helped you with your running? I don't know how short bursts of running will help, but they're fun. From my reading, they're supposed to assist with neuromuscular fitness.

I'll be there. I managed to sneak (not illegally, thank you Dam Run!) into group B. I'll drop back to my bro's corral, probably D or E. I'll be running at his pace: 1:17 last year.

Maybe see you at the start, if not, at the finish. Carb-reloading beverage at the ATC after-party?

I lost track, but this is 36-38 in a row for me.
I am not a member of ATC so i won't be at the party. Let me know if you start in E. i will be there. Are you planning to stay near the finish? i have not decided what i am doing for the race. If i am going to race it or just have fun. Sort of depends on the weather. I do plan to do my intervals though. Guess i am a convert on that but it seems to be keeping my knee in better shape.

Do you feel that doing strides have helped you with your running? I don't know how short bursts of running will help, but they're fun. From my reading, they're supposed to assist with neuromuscular fitness.
Probably? I kind of added everything all at once to my routine, so it's hard to say how much of a difference any one element has made. But even if the only benefit is the fun, that seems good enough to me :P

QOTD:
What is your electrolyte drink of choice? Do you have a favorite flavor? Not for fuel necessarily, but for dealing with the summer temps/heat.

Attqotd: I usually stick with liquid IV because I can get it for around $22/bag when it’s on sale at Costco. I do like that they’ve started selling a few more flavors in our store (was only strawberry or lemon/lime for awhile) but I didn’t love the golden cherry, and have yet to try the fruit punch. (Bonus points for the pineapple yuzu energy one that I’ll sometimes use as a pre workout if it’s been extra hectic.)

ATTQOTD: I too love Liquid IV. I mix it at half strength and used it both for running and just basic hydration. I use the lemon-lime, tangerine (immune support one) and the yuzu pineapple (usually for races).

Sometimes we have Body Armor in our house as well. Love those when I am feeling dehydrated, I can down one of those pretty quick. Important as one of my meds is a diuretic.

ATTQOTD: For general hydration while running I use either Propel or Powerade Zero. If I need to add a nutrition component to it, I'll go with Tailwind.

ATTQOTD: I don’t drink electrolyte drinks generally. But if I feel like I need something more than just water after a run, I have DripDrop powder packets, and 2 of them are perfect for a bottle of water. I also bring them to races in case the post-race water is Dasani, which makes me a bit sick if I drink the whole bottle, but the powder helps (and makes a better companion to whatever salty post-race snack I’ve got)

Thanks. I had been checking--and kept seeing the "all will be notified by end of June". This is more definite anyway. As odds are, I won't get in, which is good since I am not really sure I want to run this and plus I'm going to London in October.
lol me too on the not sure I want to run. Why oh why do I enter race lotteries for races I have no business running. It's a really bad time for my work schedule to travel across the ocean and run a marathon. Of course if we get in, it seems like a once in a lifetime chance so I at least will have to make it work.

ATTQOTD: I also love liquid iv. I am chronically dehydrated so I am trying to take in one of these per day over the summer.

Thanks. I had been checking--and kept seeing the "all will be notified by end of June". This is more definite anyway. As odds are, I won't get in, which is good since I am not really sure I want to run this and plus I'm going to London in October.
Seems early for notifications this year. I want to say notifications have been as late as October in the past.

QOTD:
What is your electrolyte drink of choice? Do you have a favorite flavor? Not for fuel necessarily, but for dealing with the summer temps/heat.
ATTQOTD: I do not drink any electrolytes (sensitive gut, super picky). But curious to learn more from others and see what works, particularly for those in the same boat as me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter