The Running Thread—2023

Nope that's the first in the series! And I wouldn't even call it an "A" race, given that I'm not gunning for a certain time. Covering a marathon distance should always be countable as an "A" goal in my book, so I guess it does count. I have a bunch of halfs lined up after Chicago: Philadelphia in November, Disneyland in January, Princess in February. None of them are time goals though, I'm trying to take a mental break.
As I love hearing at runDisney events, just try to PR in fun!

June Miles = 112

I was planning to run today but the smoke is back in CT. And with an AQI of 158, that is enough for me to cancel. It was tough to get my 100 miles in between several other conflicting events and the air quality issues. I did run once on the dreadmill during the first bad stretch of smoke earlier this month.

In July I start training for NYC.

January Miles = 113
February Miles = 113
March Miles = 116
April Miles = 115
May Miles = 123

2023 Total = 692

Last edited:

No June miles to report but my ankle is finally feeling better so I ran for the first time since end of April today! Not a great run as I’m currently on vacation in NM and it’s hot as heck here plus elevation. Ankle feels good and I’m looking forward to getting back in my routine and hopefully improving as I go along!

Late to the party as usual 😂

Bananas ✅
Cilantro ✅
Treadmill ✅
Beets ✅

I love beets roasted in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper. Pickled beets are a favorite too.

June 2023 Totals
14.2 miles

I was cleared 6 weeks after surgery to start running again, but after an uncomfortable 2 mile run I took another week off. I ran 6 easy miles today comfortably so things are moving in the right direction. I’m supposed to start training for the New York Marathon this week, but I am severely lacking motivation 🫣

@OldSlowGoofyGuy i will start in E so I will try and catch you. I ran this morning with 72+68, at 7:20. It was a little rough. I should be starting about 10 minutes earlier on Tuesday. Not sure what my plans are except survive. I will try and find you at M. Bert is not running. He will be cheering with Whisky. I expect him on the left hand side just after you cross 12th st. The Lowe’s provides some good shade.

@OldSlowGoofyGuy, @garneska, @Disney at Heart, and other P’treers, DH and I will be there, and would love to try to find you. DH is in start wave C, and will be wearing his Captain America shirt, black Army shorts, and the new ATC member hat. He’ll go on to the member party when he’s finished. I’ll be in start wave H, and will be considerable slower than him, so I’ll be along to the party when I finish. I’m not sure what I’ll be wearing, but probably something InB. We hope we can see you there. Happy 4th!

@garneska @OldSlowGoofyGuy @princesspirateandrunner DH and I are in Wave G. I will be slow, maybe 1:20 with the heat and hills, and we have a start time 7:20, so I'll check M balloon to see if anyone's still there. If not, I will head to the Tavern. I'll be texting with DH to link up with him either at M balloon or Tavern. I'll wear blue tank, white skirt with a red sparkle over lay, bright blue shoes, and probably my ATL cap. Hope to see you all. I'll look for Bert on the road!:cool1:

Saw on Facebook that "Puppet Runner" is in wave G and will be running In his patriotic chef's outfit with Remy. I see him at Disney races often.

April totals:
Miles: 53.87
Avg pace: 8:50
Took time off to try to heal before training then kept at slow 3 mile runs.

May totals:
Miles: 89
Avg pace: 8:25
Decided to try to get back to maintenance speed with short runs which went fine so tried my first 6 mi easy run in weeks and paid the price sitting on a plane later that day. Went on vacation and now started training in earnest for NY but with way reduced mileage and slow paces since I'm so deconditioned. Probably will try to get into PT as things haven't really gotten much better.

ATTQOTD:
My 2023 Goals:
I want to get faster, so I’d like to add speed work into my training. I tried to add it to the current training plan, but ended up with achilles tendinitis and now I just need to focus on keeping up fitness for Princess.

Specific speed goals, in order from most to least likely:
get my half marathon under 3:00. PR is currently at 3:03:03
get my 5K under 35:00. PR is currently 35:59
get my 10K under 1:15. PR is currently 1:16:50
get my 10 Miler under 2:10. PR is currently 2:13:32
ATTQOTD:

Half Marathon PR ✅—I did the MW Virtual Half in 2:57:28 (in single digit temps, I’d like to add)
5K PR ⚠️—haven’t had a chance to do a 5K yet
10K PR ⚠️—haven’t had a chance to a 10K yet
10 Miler PR⚠️—I haven’t run a 10 Miler yet, but in one of my training runs, I did shave ~2 minutes off my current PR time

At the moment, I’m just trying to survive the summer heat and humidity. I have the TC Loony challenge this fall and my goal is to be in shape to PR all 3 races (10K, 5K on Sept 30, 10 Miler on Oct 1)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter